Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Best" Four-Thirds Camera for using MF lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: "Best" Four-Thirds Camera for using MF lenses? Reply with quote

I put quotes around the word "Best" because I specifically DO NOT mean most expensive. I am just now beginning to read up on this whole four-thirds thing, and still have a lot to learn. I'm not all that fond of the 4/3 design, for a couple of reasons -- one, I think the sensor is too small, and two, I think the size is too "TV-like" and by that I mean the old televisions and computer CRT screens. Nowadays, people are buying widescreen TVs and widescreen computer monitors, so this format, if anything, seems to be on its way out.

Nonetheless, I am becoming more interested in four-thirds cameras for one simple reason -- I can mount unmodified Canon FD glass to them. And that will be my MAIN reason for buying one . . . if I can just decide which one would be the best way to go.

The simple reality for me is that I will have to save up or sell something to raise the money even for a cheaper four-thirds camera, so I'm hoping to get some idea from you which will perhaps deliver the "best bang for the buck," that is, which four-thirds camera do you think has the best overall value? Most functionality for the money spent for someone wanting to use Canon FD lenses?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for micro 4/3 has adapter what is support infinity with Canon FD glasses, no adapter available for normal 4/3 just mount conversion.

I know three micro 4/3 camera on market 2 from Panasonic and from Olympus. Cheapest body oldest Panasonic G1 I think going around 600 USD or more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Attila,

Are your referring specifically to the 12.1mp Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1? That's not an "old" camera is it? I believe it's still available new. Yeah, with kit lens, they're about $650.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Attila,

Are your referring specifically to the 12.1mp Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1? That's not an "old" camera is it? I believe it's still available new. Yeah, with kit lens, they're about $650.

Yes right, it has a newer edition , you did find first edition what is lot cheaper and available brand new. I thought this camera.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Attila,

Yes, the G1 would suit your purpose. I bought it for two reasons
1. For a light weight, small sized travel setup.
2. For mounting my (many) MF lenses, including Canon FL/FD lenses.

You can still get it new. I bought the G1 with the two lens kit(14-45mm, 45-200mm), for around $630 USD equivalent in Japan!!!

There are actually 4 micro 4/3 cameras available:
Panasonic G1, GH1, GF1.
Olympus E-P1

The GF1 has only been around for one month. It's small, but has no EVF. Costs around $680 USD in Japan, with 14-45mm lens.
The EVF in the G1 & GH1 is brilliant. It's WAY bigger in view than a regular 4/3 DSLR.

Last edited by dnas on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a G1 for use with my manual focus lenses, and I love it. Not only for Canon FD lenses, but Konica as well.

The G1 and GH1 have an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder). Without it, you can only use the live view for focusing, unless you get an accessory viewfinder. I'm not sure if you can get an accessory viewfinder for the EP-1.

If I had the money, I'd get the GH1 which also does video and is said to be better at high iso.

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the cause. The EVF delivers Live View as well! It's the same as the monitor on the back besides the higher resolution.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
The EVF delivers Live View as well!

Actually it's even better to use the live view magnification with the EVF than with the regular display. Much steadier...

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so -- so far you guys have mentioned one camera the Pana G1 (OK, and the GH1 too). There aren't any others that are as popular for this sort of task? Specifically being able to mount FD glass to the camera?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
OK, so -- so far you guys have mentioned one camera the Pana G1 (OK, and the GH1 too). There aren't any others that are as popular for this sort of task? Specifically being able to mount FD glass to the camera?

No !

Here some pics 10 min. ago in the garden - only for you. All with FD 2,5/135mm and ISO 400. Weather is very bad at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf,

It's hard to argue with results like those. Very nice.

Well, I guess if I want to use my FD glass on a DSLR I need to start saving up for a G1, or sell another guitar or something. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high-ranking Olympus guy has said that they also plan to release an EVF model. He didn't mention any date.
If it turns out ok and has in-body stabilization, I might upgrade.

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic : G1, GH1, GF1
Olympus : Pen

It seems that Oly have to introduce new models to the market otherwise Pansonic will take the business alone.