Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best fast primes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Best fast primes Reply with quote

Hello everybody Smile

I recently switched from Canon 5d3 for Sony A7S , which has given me more opportunities as to which lenses I can use . In addition, I like to change my Nikon lenses, because of the focus ring issue..
I would therefore ask you what you would recommend as the best respectively 24mm , 35mm and 85mm ?
I've looked at Rokkor and thought they look good but they come in many versions , what should I pay attention to here?
Last I wonder whether or not you can get a reasonably priced 24mm 1.4 or 1.8 ? as I sometimes want to get lower then 2.8

Thanks Smile

Jonas Abrahamsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkors are no better than their Nikkor counterparts so it wouldn't be a good investment to switch.

Do you really need faster than f2.8 on a 24mm with an A7S when that camera has amazing high ISO performance?

If you really do, then forget legacy lenses, you will have to look at modern Samyang and Sigma, or spend a lot on something from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak from personal experience but I recently moved to the A7ii and have been scanning the bay. Minolta I don't think made a faster than 2.8 in 24mm, Konica either, (if they did they are very rare). I have had good luck with Canon Fd and they do have some fast wide primes eg the 24mm 1.4 L. Third party makers as well might be an option Sigma, Kiron, Komine made vivitar. At other FL you might get some good fast glass from minolta or konica though. The Konica 57mm 1.2 is good ( I just bought one).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang 24mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I don´t want to use the Nikons ( even though I like the 85mm 1.8 ) is that the focus ring turns the wrong way, and it messes up my head - I shoot with Canon lenses every day for video work. So if not the Rokkor 85 1.7, witch one would be a better choice ?
As far as the 24mm goes I just like to have the option of 1.4 1.6 or 1.8 for shallow dof work or matching a second camera for interviews Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best fast primes Reply with quote

Jonas@ wrote:
HI recently switched from Canon 5d3 for Sony A7S , which has given me more opportunities as to which lenses I can use . In addition, I like to change my Nikon lenses, because of the focus ring issue..
I would therefore ask you what you would recommend as the best respectively 24mm , 35mm and 85mm ?
I've looked at Rokkor and thought they look good but they come in many versions , what should I pay attention to here?
Last I wonder whether or not you can get a reasonably priced 24mm 1.4 or 1.8 ? as I sometimes want to get lower then 2.8

If you want a fast wide, not too bulky, and you don't want to sell a limb, then I advise you buy the CV Ultron 21/1.8. It's wide, it's fast, and it's really good on the A7, so I guess it will be even better on the A7S.

As for a 35mm lens, it's easier to find a good one and it depends on how deep your pockets are. There are plenty of sharp 35mm SLR lenses selling for cheap prices (Canon FD 35/2, Takumar 35/3.5). Some Rangefinder lenses are also very good but typically cost more (CV Ultron 35/1.7, Nokton 35/1.2 and I don't talk about Leica glass).

Lastly, regarding a short tele, I would recommend the CV Apo Lanthar 90/3.5. It's not produced anymore so you will have to buy either used or new from old stock but it's a beautiful lens, sharp and aberrations free. If you don't need the absolute best quality, there are plenty of good 85-90 lenses, although they are usually much more expensive than 50mm lenses. In fact, it's rather hard to find a bad 85-90 lens. A favorite of mine that is a very good lens but usually not too expensive is the Schacht Travenar 90/2.8 (available in M42 mount).

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If looking at Minolta, and wanting fast and quality lenses, you may choose between:
- 16mm f 2.8 fisheye
- 20 or 21 mm f2.8 (20mm compact, 21mm heavy sharper)
- 24mm f 2.8
- 28mm f 2.0
- 35mm f 1.8
- 45mm f 2.0
- 50mm f 1.4 (also 1.2)
- 58mm f 1.2 (fast, bokey but expensive)
- 85mm f 2 or 1.7 (compact/sharp versus bokey)
- 100mm f 2.5
- 100mm macro (f3.5 or 4.0, not fast)
- 135mm f 2.8 (f2.0 also available but heavy)
- 200mm f 2.8 (also f4...)
Then not fast at all
- 250mm rf f 5.6 (very expensive, not fast but compact)
- 400mm f 5.6 (slow and expensive)
- 500mm rf f8.0 (not fast but compact)

Obviously, there are more as I have been selective but that should get you started
Whoo Turtle ! Welcome Turtle ...

a few of these may be enough though...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider something longer like the Samyang 135mm f2?

Reviewed here:
http://www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-apo-sonnar-135mm-f2-zf-2-review/2/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best fast primes Reply with quote

Jonas@ wrote:
Hello everybody Smile

I recently switched from Canon 5d3 for Sony A7S , which has given me more opportunities as to which lenses I can use . In addition, I like to change my Nikon lenses, because of the focus ring issue..

Thanks Smile

Jonas Abrahamsen

Fast wide angle lenses will not be cheap, you will be looking at $700 or more for a 24/1.4, Canon has the SSC 24/1.4, and the nFD 24/1.4 L, nFD 24/2, Leica 24/1.4 Sumilux, Samyang 24/1.4, CV 21/1.8, CV 35/1.2.
The Canon 24/1.4's may not be suitable for landscapes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the only 24mm legacy lens faster than 2.0 is Canon FD 24L. Its price is comparable to that of Sigma Art 24/1.4. My very personal opinion is that one would have to be nuts to pick that Canon over Sigma. But if want to keep your budget in check there's Samyang.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a lot of lenses, and tested a lot as well.

Minolta are some of my favourite lenses. Some lenses in some brands' range are better and some not as good, but blanket statements about a whole range can be misleading.

- Minolta MD 16mm Fisheye. Superb. Has some CA in the corners, but which fisheye doesn't?
- Minolta MD 85mm F2. Another superb lens, very sharp, bokeh is quite good.
- Minolta MD 100mm F4 Macro. Very, very good lens, bokeh is silky smooth.
- Canon nFD 20mm F2.8. Very nice, works well with A7
- Nikon Ais 35mm F2. Nice
- Nikon Ais 105mm F2.8. Another very nice Nikon.

The Minolta MC & MD 50mm F1.4 are sharper in the corners than Nikon Ais 50mm F1.4, wide open, and have better contrast.(MD more so)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss, zeiss no Leitz Laugh 1 most factories have a few stunning lens no matter Nikon , Minolta or Zeiss, but in general in whole product line I vote for Zeiss both factories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Zeiss, zeiss no Leitz Laugh 1 most factories have a few stunning lens no matter Nikon , Minolta or Zeiss, but in general in whole product line I vote for Zeiss both factories.

+1

Nothing wrong with Leitz, apart from the inflated prices. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best fast primes Reply with quote

Jonas@ wrote:
Hello everybody Smile

Thanks Smile

Jonas Abrahamsen

Best ? Smile))

Best is what you can get cheapest with acceptable results.

To me, legacy lenses are generally feasible if you are looking for a standard length with modest aperture. A FD 50 1.4 an OM 28 3.5 or a Rokkor macro would be a bargain considering lenses' capabilities per cent you pay.

On the other side if you look for faster lenses, there are few options and what can be got are generally either not in perfect condition and/or expensive and/or optically inferior. Going for a 24mm 1.4 with upper 3 digit invoice (in USD) would not be a very wise idea, considering wide open or two apertures, you would have to live with optical compromises. So a legacy f/2 in 24mm or 85mm is if not acquired cheap, would not be a meaningful transaction.

And one thing to avoid is to go for a brand. Zeiss, Leice, Konica, Rokkor, Topcor. All of these tags are good selling points and inflate results of auctions.

If I were you , I would check what Sigma, Samyang, Tamron or even the new Chinese brand (Venus optics) offer, if you are looking for the best. They are cheaper, optically better and easier to sell if needed. With so many adapters one day they can also be used AF if needed.

Still if you are still looking for a legacy set, my humble offer is OM 24mm 2.8 (better than its faster cousin) and Rokkor 35mm 1.8. In 85mm there are so many nice lenses; Rokkor 85mm 2 is extremely sharp and Zuiko 85mm is tiny. FD 85 1.8 is even cheaper. But Samyang 85mm 1.4 will win unless you are looking for a more compact or retro solution:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Canon FD lens , i have the 24/1.4 55/1.2 85/1.2 simply amazing lens , also the OM Zuiko are Fantastic !
i make some shots this morning with 2 35mm that i have
MC Mir 24M 35/2
OM Zuiko MC 35/2.8
first one is Zuiko at f/2.8 has more contrast and sharpness but i like more the russian Bokeh at f/2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if we talk about best fast primes chek the Tair 11A 135/2.8

and crop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rollei SL35 Zeiss lenses, no matter W. German, or Singapore, are not overpriced yet, superb glass, aperture could be sticky, but curable, you have to check before purchase. So far it is my choice, despite that I have a boxes, full of different lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is - you can't go wrong going with familiar brands, but the market is healthy and robust, even overheated at certain focal lengths like 85 and UW, and you may need to pay market prices for quality lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Best' is a bit ambiguous.

From my own experience, I'd also mention that there is often a flaw in the 'Best' lenses system, because it usually means a few adapter types. Problems (that I've faced) :
1. Forgot one adapter type for a trip
2. Adapter broke down for 1 type (and no spare, since that would have meant additional 3 spare adapters )
3. Adapters take up space and adds quite a bit of weight (even worse if considering spares)

From my own experience :

24mm - FD24/2.8 (old 24mm f2.8 are not that great on the A7 system though); On my modded A7, my Pentax K24/2.8 performs rather ok.
35mm - It gets less challenging here. Mostly good. In fact, I've not seen a bad SLR 35mm so far (Pentax FA35/2 is excellent, but loosey AF ring as its an AF lens; Takumar 35/3.5 is cheap and good but f3.5)
85mm - Pentax K85/1.8 is very good. Reliable in most situations, both for technical qualities as well as rendering. Jupiter 9 is nice, but with the usual Sonnar characteristics (for good or bad) and weak against flare.

My general impression of Canon FD is that it tends to prioritize sharpness and bokeh can be a mixed bag in more situations (ie. diff bkgnd, diff focus distances, etc).

Stay away from RF lenses unless you are willing to have a big budget as the ones that have less/no issues are mostly the new Voigtlander ones which though fairly priced imo, are not cheap.
Unless you are looking for lenses with character with no need to be clinically sharp edge to edge.