Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best enlarger lens ever
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Componars are simple triplets, the cheapest of Schneider's enlarger lenses. They are decent lenses but not comparable to the Componons, Rodagons, Focotars and other modern plasmat types.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is fairly made back on page 3 that all these lenses are pretty damn good.

However, comparison of them as enlarger lenses tends to be a bit anecdotal . . . even Ctein's comments are somewhat gnomic: a top five marked out of ten, no mention of which lenses were actually tested - therefore does non-inclusion in the top five indicate sub-standard performance, or simply being unavailable? - and no pictures.

Sometimes on these forums, folks are asking what is 'best' or 'better' from different perspectives, too: 'better' as an enlarger? Macro lens? At 5:1, 1:1 or 1:2?

I'm really curious to see how rigorously 'scientifically' (AKA ivory tower) we need to examine these critturs as taking lenses to tell them apart - now we have jolly discriminating DSLRs.

I'm betting that you can tell more about the difference between a Focotar II, APO EL Nikkor and an Orthoplanar 105 by strapping them all to an A7R for half an hour than all the bearded sages have gleaned in two decades.

All I need now is someone to lend me the Zeiss and Nikon . . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I expect you'll find in your tests is that the best-corrected lenses, such as the 105PN and other APO lenses on your list, end up looking "sterile". They are designed specifically to not impart any character to the image that isn't already there. In general this should be the quality of any enlarging/duplicating/repro lens, ie they should simply enlarge/duplicate/reproduce, perfectly and without bias or modification. The place for art and creativity is in the taking. For enlarging lenses, I would personally define "best" as "adds the least to the process". Any aberration "adds".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is that one then?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
One thing I expect you'll find in your tests is that the best-corrected lenses, such as the 105PN and other APO lenses on your list, end up looking "sterile". They are designed specifically to not impart any character to the image that isn't already there. In general this should be the quality of any enlarging/duplicating/repro lens, ie they should simply enlarge/duplicate/reproduce, perfectly and without bias or modification. The place for art and creativity is in the taking. For enlarging lenses, I would personally define "best" as "adds the least to the process". Any aberration "adds".

For sure. An aberration-free lens better represents reality - allowing the photographer (not the lens) to be the stylist. Personally, I wouldn't use the word 'sterile' in place of 'truthful'. A good lens is simply a good lens; its technical prowess allows greater latitude for expression - especially now post-production is such a major part of the creative process. You could even argue that a lens' job is to efface itself and report maximum information about a frame's-worth of reality to Photoshop.

Having said that, sometimes we want to exploit subtle differences in drawing styles, and might reach for a lens with a 'tone of voice' to create something not quite achievable in post: pastelly, low-contrast tones, a specific type of defocus effect or light star. There's even a slot in the toolbox for 'bad' lenses that 'glow' or have funky flare: aberrations can be fun! Just not in every picture: that's pretty limiting, creatively - sterile, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
I had owned an EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 up to that time. It was a very good lens, no doubt, but the Focotar-2 clearly is a better lens. I sincerely doubt it has been equaled. Really, not many of these lenses were made. By 'better' I mean sharper, especially in the corners

FluffPuppy wrote:
I saw things in the prints that I had never seen in the prints made with the EL-Nikkor. In particular, I saw separation of tones in shadow areas that I had never seen before. Sharpness in the center was not all that much different, but the corners were better.

I just read the above comments posted here in 2012. It's quite funny, because in my lab days, the 50mm Focotar-2 was considered to be a good lens, but Focotars were not reputed to have sharp corners, due to a rather curved field:

tobey bilek wrote:
The I version was optimized for 5x7 and 8x10 is a stretch for it.

The Schneider is easily recognized by the large front element and makes 16z20 with ease from a good negative in a glass top or full glass carrier. Works from 5.6 to 11 or 16

The Focotar 2 has a little more contrast, local contrast and pop, but gives up the nice flat field of Schneider to get it. You need to stop to 8 to negate the out of focus corners due to lack of a flat field.

Version 1 has nowhere near a flat field, but printed curved field mounted slides quite nicely. This thing was an embarrassment to Leica when larger prints were being made, so they worked with Schneider to get something decent.

Quote from tobey bilek on L.Camera Forum

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
So how is that one then?

Outstanding. What lens?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz !
Welcome back !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
So how is that one then?

Beautiful image.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:9 wrote:
...Having said that, sometimes we want to exploit subtle differences in drawing styles, and might reach for a lens with a 'tone of voice' to create something not quite achievable in post: pastelly, low-contrast tones, a specific type of defocus effect or light star. There's even a slot in the toolbox for 'bad' lenses that 'glow' or have funky flare: aberrations can be fun! Just not in every picture: that's pretty limiting, creatively - sterile, maybe?

Yes, if you are looking for a different expression those imperfect lenses can "add" qualities you can't easily achieve other ways. However, while that may affect the method or outcome of testing described in the other thread, I don't think this changes the outcome of this thread. I still believe the "best" enlarging lens is the one that "adds" least.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Abbazz !
Welcome back !

Thanks Mir! Feels good to be here...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back Abbazz!!!

Best enlarger lens what I have, what I don't have that is less good Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote: