Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best camera for M39 and C mount lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Best camera for M39 and C mount lenses? Reply with quote

Hi folks

While I love my EOS 10D and collection of manual lenses to use with it, I'm feeling the need for something smaller I can keep with me in my pocket.

Also, I want to be able to use C mount and M39 lenses with it, I'd love to be able to use lenses like the Industar 61LD and 26M, Jupiters 3, 8 and 11 in M39 and the small wide angle C mount lenses, none of which will work wih an EOS.

So I'm looking at a mirrorless interchangeable camera, probably a secondhand model.

I like the size of the Olympus EPL-1, but really don't have any preference.

Just wondering what folks here recommend for camera of this type, anyone got any experience of the Lumix G1?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Panasonic cameras have electronic viewfinders, which is very handy, but there's an annoying 2x crop factor to deal with. The NEX has a 1.5x crop, so much closer to the original, but no viewfinder. You will get better high ISO performance from the bigger sensor of the NEX too, although the gh1 and gh2 are also good in that respect.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chosen the LUmix GH1 once for that and now upgraded to GH2. And still quite happy with the results using such lenses, see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/

Surely the Nex3/5 would have been alternarives, if a) they had a viewfinder and b) had more manual settings as their larger sensor is a benefit.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Some of the Panasonic cameras have electronic viewfinders, which is very handy, but there's an annoying 2x crop factor to deal with. The NEX has a 1.5x crop, so much closer to the original, but no viewfinder. You will get better high ISO performance from the bigger sensor of the NEX too, although the gh1 and gh2 are also good in that respect.

Because I already have an EOS 10D with a crop sensor, the smaller 2x crop factor doesn't bother me as this is just a small, handy camera for carrying around and I'll still have the EOS to use for more demanding situations.

I'm looking at a Panasonic G1 for 100ukp, very tempted to buy it to team with a Jupiter 8.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEX isn't missing any manual settings, as far as I am aware. New firmware means you can assign functions to two of the buttons. The viewfinder thing can be a pain though.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I've chosen the LUmix GH1 once for that and now upgraded to GH2. And still quite happy with the results using such lenses, see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/

Surely the Nex3/5 would have been alternarives, if a) they had a viewfinder and b) had more manual settings as their larger sensor is a benefit.

Guten Tag Klaus

The shots you have taken with the GH1 are very nice indeed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GH-1 is very similar to the G-1 but with the addition of video recording?

I would like to be able to record video but I'm not sure it's something I need on my small pocketable camera.

I am very tempted by this G-1, just wish it wasn't in red!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found the two mostimportant things to look for in a small cam is in body image staabilzation and focusing ability. the only supersmall cam w in body IS is the olymous ep ranfpge--any of them have this which is essential at high focal lenghts or in low light.

as for focus in a pocketable size, you really need to have an evf, as lcd focusing is extremely difficlut again at high FLs or in low light or again in bright light. the ep series again has an attachable evf that is really incredible, especially in low light.

i thought the 2x crop factor would wreak more havoc than it actually does. since you want to use c mount lenses, you will have a plethora of fast 25mm, translatable to 50mm on m4/3, for standard and low light shots. i use a zenotar 16mm, which becomes 32mm, for wide angle shots and it performs great, though there are m39 15mm alternatives.

the nice thing about your preference for epl1 is that it has a built in, articulable flash which coukd come in handy.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
ive found the two mostimportant things to look for in a small cam is in body image staabilzation and focusing ability. the only supersmall cam w in body IS is the olymous ep ranfpge--any of them have this which is essential at high focal lenghts or in low light.

as for focus in a pocketable size, you really need to have an evf, as lcd focusing is extremely difficlut again at high FLs or in low light or again in bright light. the ep series again has an attachable evf that is really incredible, especially in low light.

i thought the 2x crop factor would wreak more havoc than it actually does. since you want to use c mount lenses, you will have a plethora of fast 25mm, translatable to 50mm on m4/3, for standard and low light shots. i use a zenotar 16mm, which becomes 32mm, for wide angle shots and it performs great, though there are m39 15mm alternatives.

the nice thing about your preference for epl1 is that it has a built in, articulable flash which coukd come in handy.

Good points.

I am leaning away from the Lumix G1 because it is too similar to my EOS 10D, just a smaller version. The EPL-1 really would suit my needs better.

Does the EPL-1 shoot video?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for Oly E-P1/2 Smile that's a fantastic camera light weight, made from metal and with lots of photographic features.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
One more vote for Oly E-P1/2 Smile that's a fantastic camera light weight, made from metal and with lots of photographic features.

Yes, and I'm thinking being metal and if I get the silver model it would be perfect for using with the silver versions of the Russian lenses, I really fancy an Industar-22 collapsible as a walkaround lens, I used to have a Mir with an I-22 and loved it, this would be a digital replacement, I carried the Mir everywhere with me in the 90s.

Will the Jupiter-12 work on an Oly E-P or is that deep rear element too deep?

I also really like the idea of a silver Jupiter 11 being a 4/270 on this camera, I really couldn't see any need for a longer lens on this cam.

I could carry a Jupiter 12, Industar 61LD or Jupiter 8, Jupiter 11 and have a full camera setup in my coat pocket and I love the robust metal of Russian lenses.

That's it, gonna get an Oly, just have to wait a couple of weeks to save some pennies, I ave a budget of 200ukp and I see used EP-1 bodies for 160ukp pretty often.

If anyone here is selling an Oly, please get in touch, I'd much prefer to buy from a member here than on ebay.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J12 won't work - the rear element is too long, but the others will.
35mm 2.8 Alu flektogon is nice for E-P1 not a RF lens but still nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for small 35mm ish type lens for m4/3, i really like the c mount meopta openar 40/1.8. more expensive than j12, but i think much better IQ.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
for small 35mm ish type lens for m4/3, i really like the c mount meopta openar 40/1.8. more expensive than j12, but i think much better IQ.

Thanks for that info. Heard many good opinions on Meopta lenses.