Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best 50 mm lens MF or AF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good place to start.

https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/50-fifties-measuring-sharpness-and-contrast/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/50-fifties-measuring-sharpness-and-contrast/

Many Thanks CBASS.

Very informative

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "best lens" but always a best lens/camera combination.
If you are looking for the best lens for your camera it may be only mediocre for any other one or the other way round.
Understood that you are using a Sony APS-C camera. Therefore many lenses which would not qualify on FF-sensor cameras would eventually perform excellently on yours.
I own several different digital system cameras with different sensors (MFT, APS-C and FF) and I can tell you that not even on two cameras with same sensor format the lenses perform equally good as there are also criteria like resolution and sensor stack.
Therefore your question should rather be: What is the best 50mm lens on this or that camera AND best for what?
Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

As stated by the author some lenses have focus shift which was not considered. From my experience minoltas suffer more than Canons so that might have some impact if you pull the trigger at taking aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
There is no "best lens" but always a best lens/camera combination.
If you are looking for the best lens for your camera it may be only mediocre for any other one or the other way round.
Understood that you are using a Sony APS-C camera. Therefore many lenses which would not qualify on FF-sensor cameras would eventually perform excellently on yours.
I own several different digital system cameras with different sensors (MFT, APS-C and FF) and I can tell you that not even on two cameras with same sensor format the lenses perform equally good as there are also criteria like resolution and sensor stack.
Therefore your question should rather be: What is the best 50mm lens on this or that camera AND best for what?
Just my 2 cents.

Thank you, very much. I shall up date my dates, now I'm using ff 7rIII, with CRON R 50 v.2.
Best for: my sensor (and perhaps the 7RIV), very sharp, not so high contrast and very, very low or not CA at all. I don't like PP. PP bores to me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All were taken from my window at 1 PM (strong sunlight)

At F/5,6

200% 1 and 3 at F/5,6 s at F/6,3

At F/5,6

200%

Nice. But there are a lot of better lenses. I want to know their names to buy them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Thank you, very much. I shall up date my dates, now I'm using ff 7rIII, with CRON R 50 v.2.
Best for: my sensor (and perhaps the 7RIV), very sharp, not so high contrast and very, very low or not CA at all. I don't like PP. PP bores to me

Well, at least for landscape I found out that on the A7R II and III (exactly the same sensor) most probably the "nifty" Sony FE 50mm/F1.8 is the best option. This lens delivers really sharp pictures from edge to edge with sufficient resolution and almost no CA's for this sensor. At least when used at F5.6 (optimum performance). I don't think that any more expensive lens will do a better job in this discipline and for acceptable depth of field you have to stop down anyway.

For other purposes other criteria like e.g. bokeh may be more important for you and this is primarily a matter of taste. A really never ending story. Wink
However, the Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 50mm/F2 may be the best all purpose lens for this camera, but it's manual focus only.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
papasito wrote:

Well, at least for landscape I found out that on the A7R II and III (exactly the same sensor) most probably the "nifty" Sony FE 50mm/F1.8 is the best option. This lens delivers really sharp pictures from edge to edge with sufficient resolution and almost no CA's for this sensor. At least when used at F5.6 (optimum performance). I don't think that any more expensive lens will do a better job in this discipline and for acceptable depth of field you have to stop down anyway.

For other purposes other criteria like e.g. bokeh may be more important for you and this is primarily a matter of taste. A really never ending story. Wink
However, the Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 50mm/F2 may be the best all purpose lens for this camera, but it's manual focus only.

Many thanks. I have read some great comments about the voigtlander apo lanthar 65/2 macro. It"s not 50 mm but 65 mm seems to be good too, very useful

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to a Bar (for first time in some months).

A self portrait, like the way to introduce myself to you-