Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 50-58mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Best 50-58mm lens Reply with quote

I'm all into 50s. Testem them all in short/medium/long distance, b/w, bokeh, sharpness, etc.

35mm for me is already extremely wide. I would prefer to go 75mm-85mm than 35mm.

My short list:
- Minolta MD (III) 50mm 1.4 - 5/5 very sharp, a bit of amazing colors, easy to focus (don't know how to describe it)
- Minolta MD (III) 50mm 2.0 - 4/5 very good, Minolta quality
- Minolta MD 45mm 2.0 - 4/5 very sharp small lens, Minolta quality
- Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 (8el) - 4.5/5 EXTREMELY (!!!!) sharp, best build quality, visible glow from bright spots in contrasty areas makes it sometimes less sharp in birght areas
- Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 - 4/5 very good
- Macro Takumar 50mm 4.0 - 5/5 superb for a macro lens
- Auto Takumar 55mm 2.0 - 3.5/5 good
- CZJ Biotar 58mm 2.0 - 4.5/5 amazing bokeh if you are into "biotar look" (I am)
- CZJ Pancolar 50mm 1.8 (thorium) - 4.5/5 built in yellow radioactive filter gives very retro look, sharp, very contrasty in b/w
- CZJ Tessar 50mm 2.8 - 3.5/5 - good lens
- MOG Primoplan 58mm 1.9 - 4/5 very good lens but not as good as Biotar
- MOG Trioplan 50mm 2.9 - 4/5 - bubble bokeh on cheap, very good lens
- MOG Oreston 50mm 1.8 - 4/5 very sharp with some bubbles
- Auto Revuenon (Tomioka) 55mm 1.4 - 3.5/5 good and BIG lens
- Industar 50-2 50mm 3.5 - 4/5 lens for fun and cool flares
- Voightlander Color-Ultron 50mm 1.8 - 4/5 good modern lens
- MOG Primotar E 50mm 3.5 - mine has fungus :/ I will update the score later
- Yashica Auto 50mm 2.0 - 4/5 good lens
- Minolta MC II Rokkor - PF 4.5/5 very good lens, Minolta quality with even better built quality (IMHO best built lens)

My top5 are:
1. Minolta MD (III) 50mm 1.4 - I like vignetting and general feel of the lens
2. CZJ Biotar 58mm 2.0 - loving the biotar look and built of alu version
3. Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 - that built quality...
4. CZJ Pancolar 50mm 1.8 - love it for b/w photos
5. MOG Primoplan 58mm 1.9 - almost like biotar has it's very specific look

#1 and #2 are really cheap and IMHO worth 4x more than the current price on ebay.
Primoplan, Voightlander and Revuenon (Tomioka) are overpriced.

PS
I know I have a problem with 50s...

Last edited by Airman on Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:55 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Fujinons ?!? don't know what you're missing Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more disturbed that there isn't a Helios in there.

Also, the 1st version of the alu coloured Industar is amazing for character but a bit soft; the black version is sharp, but not as interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm equally surprised there are no Canons, Nikons, or Pentax K lenses listed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'm more disturbed that there isn't a Helios in there.

Also, the 1st version of the alu coloured Industar is amazing for character but a bit soft; the black version is sharp, but not as interesting.

I have the original Helios - CZJ Biotar 58mm 2.0 Wink

I've never seen alu Industar...

kypfer wrote:

No Fujinons ?!? don't know what you're missing Wink

I heard these lenses are average.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airman wrote:

I heard these lenses are average.
Liking (or not) the rendering of any lens is something personal. E.g. the Industar 50mm is for me quite unremarkable, and I really like Sonnars such as Jupiter-3 & -8.

I also really like what I've seen from the Summilux-M 50mm APSH and from the APO Summicron M 50, but I'm not quite ready to pay the price for these Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the OOF rendering of the EBC fujinons a bit plasticky but others find it super smooth. It definitely has it's own character.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MDIII 50mm 1.8 is probably a typo.

On the topic of Pancolar 1.8. Isn't the first version with yellow glass caused by thorium, and the following versions may or may not contain lanthanum as a replacement?

Of your top 5 I also really like the first version Pancolar 1.8/50, and Color Ultron. In my case named Rollei Planar. And would really like to find a Primoplan, they seem to be awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
The Minolta MDIII 50mm 1.8 is probably a typo.

On the topic of Pancolar 1.8. Isn't the first version with yellow glass caused by thorium, and the following versions may or may not contain lanthanum as a replacement?

Of your top 5 I also really like the first version Pancolar 1.8/50, and Color Ultron. In my case named Rollei Planar. And would really like to find a Primoplan, they seem to be awesome.

Yes typo Wink

Yes thorium Razz

I have 2 primoplans and one for sale (newer that I'm using and older in very good condition [too small for my big hands just like the 5.8cm biotar])
I'm also selling Biotar 75mm 1.5 v2 M42 - this exact version: https://productz.com/en/carl-zeiss-jena-biotar-75mm-f1-5-version-2-lens

Last edited by Airman on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Takumars have probably the best build quality among common lenses - ultra smooth, ideally dampered and with a nice grip + glass&metal.

My suggestion for a high quality and balanced lens is Canon FD S.S.C. 50/1.4 - very nice build and optical quality.

For interesting pictures - Topcon RE.Auto Topcor 58/1.4 or Jupiter-3/Sonnar 50/1.5.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorites in this focal length range:

Minolta MD 50mm/F1.4 and AF 50mm/F1.4 both very sharp and nice all purpose lenses.

Minolta MD 50mm/F2 also very sharp across the frame and mostly underrated. Free of distortion. Most probably best value/price relationship.

Voigtlaender Nokton Classic 50mm/F1.5 in LTM/M39 for the very smooth bokeh. Good sharpness already wide open.

Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/F1.2 for the exceptional nice bokeh.

Pentax K SMC 50mm/F1.2 for the very good center sharpness already wide open in this ultra fast class.

Leitz Summicron 50mm/F2 (version 1) in LTM/M39 as a small and very sharp all purpose lens.

Voigtlaender Color-Ultron AKA Rollei Planar HFT 50mm/1.8 very nice and sharp all purpose lens.

Zenitar-M 50mm/F1.7 and Yashica ML 50mm/F1.7 are both very nice for little money. Excellent value/price relationship.

Sony FE 50mm/1.8 for the Sony A7R II simply unbeatable in this price range (EUR 200.- new). Extremely good center sharpness on high resolution sensor (identical to the heavily overpriced Zeiss version for 5 times the price) and nice and smooth bokeh.

It remains to be seen whether my ordered 7Artisans 50mm/F1.1 will be added to my favorite list. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Zenitar-M 50mm/F1.7 and Yashica ML 50mm/F1.7 are both very nice for little money. Excellent value/price relationship.

Zenitar-M is excellent. Too bad it's not multi-coated.

Recently, I've used the Yashica ML 50/1.7 and I was really shocked how much it differs from the cheap ML 50/1.9. Really great value for money!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a great fan of 50mm lenses. 58mm is a bit better for me.

Anyway, here is my personal favorite:

Asahi 58mm f/2.4 Takumar (Heliar/Dynar type). Wonderful lens when used at f/4.0, with the smoothest bokeh after the Minolta/Sony Smooth TransFocus lenses:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Zenitar-M is excellent. Too bad it's not multi-coated.

Indeed an excellent lens based on A.W. Tronnier's Ultron for Voigtlaender ( http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/zenitar-1-7-50.html ). I think it's multi-coated like all the KMZ lenses from that time. My copy is from 1983.
Do you have any sources that say the contrary?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I think it's multi-coated like all the KMZ lenses from that time. My copy is from 1983.
To my knowledge the multi-coating on USSR lenses was not a standard even in 80s. You can still find lenses boasting with 'MC' on their name ring.

There are at least three versions of Zenitar 50/1.7. The common 'M' version - single-coated, 'MC' version - rare and multi-coated and finally 'MC ME-1' - a rare 'MC' clone with two-bladed aperture.

Here is a bit of info about 'M' vs 'MC' history - http://forum.mflenses.com/the-zenitar-that-doesnt-exist-t36574.html
Here is also a confirmation about the Zenitar's coatings - http://radojuva.com/2012/03/obzor-zenitar-m-50-1-7/

The zenitarcamera.com doesn't list a coating type for 'M' - https://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/zenitar-1-7-50.html but it does for the 'MC ME1' - https://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/zenitar-me1-1-7-50.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
tb_a wrote:
I think it's multi-coated like all the KMZ lenses from that time. My copy is from 1983.

To my knowledge the multi-coating on USSR lenses was not a standard even in 80s. You can still find lenses boasting with 'MC' on their name ring.

There are at least three versions of Zenitar 50/1.7. The common 'M' version - single-coated, 'MC' version - rare and multi-coated and finally 'MC ME-1' - a rare 'MC' clone with two-bladed aperture.

Interesting, this Russian site says it's multi coated: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_397.html .

Anyway, at the end of the day I don't really care as long it delivers what it does: very sharp and contrasty pictures already wide open.

I'm planning to do a direct comparison on my Sony A7R II. Curios to see whether the Rollei HFT is any better than a supposedly single coated lens. I have my doubts. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!
I think sharpness is overrated Wink

For me the most important things are: easy of use* and bokeh. I'm ok with vignetting.

*how many times when using specific lens I get the focus right e.g. in Minolta 50mm 1.4 I get 9/10, Takumar 50mm 1.4 7/10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airman wrote:
*how many times when using specific lens I get the focus right e.g. in Minolta 50mm 1.4 I get 9/10, Takumar 50mm 1.4 7/10

IMHO that's more camera/viewer related if you miss the correct focus.

From this other thread http://forum.mflenses.com/best-camera-for-manual-lenses-t79950.html I've seen that you are using Fuji APS-C and Olympus MFT cameras. I don't have any experience with those. I only have a older Panasonic Lumix MFT camera and this is definitely NOT recommendable for the use with manual focus lenses as the focus aid is rather cumbersome and not really good compared to some of my other cameras as mentioned in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do compare lenses on the same camera.

My lens collection (Minolta gear is in the other room):

50's are at the top (besides Macro Takumar that's in the bottom left corner).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hinted the Zeiss (voigtlander!) Ultron 50mm 1.8 is a must on any list of good fifties (The very best IMHO) . The dirt cheap Konica 50 1.7 should also get some love! Have you tried the DKL Schneider retina xenon 50mm 1.9? A truly marvellous 50mm lens IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite normal lens is the Leitz screw mount 50mm f/3.5 Elmar. I've never found a lens that can outdo it for sharpness and contrast. The M-mount version is probably just as good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most used: Minolta 50mm f/1.4

My favorite character: MOG Oreston 50mm f/1.4

My least used bcoz it's too $$$: Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

My others that I rarely use: Super Takumar 50 1.4 (8el), Zenitar-M 50 1.4, Rollei Planar 50mm 1.4, Topcor 58mm 1.4

I love 50s, and would love to add another to my collection. Any lens with characters?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
My most used: Minolta 50mm f/1.4

My favorite character: MOG Oreston 50mm f/1.4

My least used bcoz it's too $$$: Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

My others that I rarely use: Super Takumar 50 1.4 (8el), Zenitar-M 50 1.4, Rollei Planar 50mm 1.4, Topcor 58mm 1.4

I love 50s, and would love to add another to my collection. Any lens with characters?

Similar setup as mine Wink

Oreston is 1.8

Try CZJ Biotar 58mm 2.0 (!!!) or MOG Primoplan 58mm 1.9 and maybe Pancolar 50mm 1.8 (the one with thorium)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seven old 50mm lenses now. I can't someone highlight only if the Minolta MD-III 50/2 good as the usual objective. And if for interesting things bokeh the here is for example Nikkor 50/2 (non-ai) gives good sense of. Need to do more frames.))

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Isco Westar 50 2.8 I like a lot. It's got very nice color.

I mention it because it has the most satisfying aperture clicks of any lens I've ever tried. You don't just hear them, you feel them. It's like turning the dial on the combination lock for an old bank vault.