Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 3d effect lenses...suggestion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nixland, stopping down does not help much when you have a frontal subject of small size with a distant frontal background, all in flat lightning. It is unavoidable to obtain flat photos in such conditions.
_

OK, I see.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more than one way to skin a cat in obtaining 3D pop, that is for sure. I must say that certain lenses do give more reward when you nail all conditions: good subject-background distance, appropriate aperture and working distance and good light (duh).

Wide open aperture is not a necessity, below are three different ways of obtaining the pop:

Leica Summicron-R 50/1.4 @ f/5.6 at close range (3m), ray of sunlight struck the model, Leica glass did the rest Smile

Contax Planar 50/1.7 @ f/5.6 at close range using the camera pop-up flash as fill-in flash.

Leica Summicron-R 50/2 @ f/8 using the effect of motion blur really lets the subject stand out.

I am sure there are numerous alternatives to these scenarios, even though it looks like German glass does help in most cases Smile

The Takumar 50/1.4 and Helios 58/2 are two good examples of non-German glass that gave me good results as well, like other posters already mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_c wrote:

Wide open aperture is not a necessity, below are three different ways of obtaining the pop:

Agree with that. Some f/2.8 shots of my f/1.4 lens looks more pop-out than at wide open. It all depends on the condition.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo that I took yesterday with Leica M9 camera and Zeiss Biogon 2/35 lens:

It was taken at f/8 (!) and shows I think that 3D the way I mean it can obtained also with apertures like f/8 or f/11, if the most foreground object is very close.
Like already said, it's a matter of composition, lighting, lens, and correct aperture for the situation.
If I took this photo at wide open, the result would have been not just totally different, but also totally not 3D.

What surprised me is that I didn't think that the Biogon 2/35 could render such remarkable 3D, as it is one of the most corrected lenses that I know.
But the great microcontrast and the great quality of bokeh, coupled with the narrow aperture, the very foreshortened perspective,
and the modeling sunlight, create just the right mix for the ass of the horse to look as round as a snooker ball Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Orio, you've got some nice kit there Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not really seeing much 3D here, Orio. Maybe the problem is that you have seen a much bigger version on your own screen, and the 3D effect always works much better on larger display sizes.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a 3D effect must cause the subject to stand out from the rest of the image, not just the background. To do this effectively, both the background and the foreground must be out of focus. This is pretty easy to do with macro shots or when using long telephotos. When using shorter focal lengths, it can become more of a challenge, but it is certainly not impossible.

I dug through an assortment of my old slide scans, and I've come up with this one as an example to what I mean.

Canon F-1, probably 300mm f/4, taken in 1987

Probably not the most effective example, but it gets my point across, at least.

On the other hand, if I were wearing a set of 3D glasses and Orio's horse swished its tail, I'd move my head to get out of the way Cool

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, i see Wink Probably cause of good composition, a deep shadow on the foreground and a tile distortion on the street Wink
It's very difficult to achieve 3D effect w/o tricks like emphasizing DOF, motion blur etc.
But you did it, Orio!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio's example works for me as the horse's ass is positively poking it's way out of the screen, yet subjects in front also seem in focus, just further away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the 3-d thing such that if you're not sure, it probably isn't. With my eyes, I think Omar's Distagon shots have a 3-d appearance, and while some others are close or somewhat 3-d-ish, most are just good examples of subject separation from the background. I can't say that I've had one that screams 3-d, but maybe some close ones that are a little more than just subject separation...

Komura 135mm

Vivitar 135mm Series 1

Tair-11 133mm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summicron-R 50mm, version 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerimäki. The biggest wooden church in the world : OM 24/2,8 F4 Eos 5D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Orio's example works for me as the horse's ass is positively poking it's way out of the screen

I think that is just because of the directional light (shadow on the side and next to the tail). If you'd use some fill light the effect would be mostly gone, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-6-2 wide open in bright noon sun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah that 6-2 has buckets of 3D!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely recommend following lenses if one is looking for 3D look.

C/Y 35/1.4
C/Y 35-70/3.4
C/Y 100/2.0
Leica R Apo 180/2.8
And ......Any Contax N lenses with Contax N Digital camera.

The CCD sensor of the Contax N Digital camera really makes a huge difference.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy and overcast days provide time for a good 3-D shades Rollei 21 / 4 5DC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap shot from today ...

C/Y 100/2.0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I would like to suggest to become a better photographer first, and learn how a 3D-like picture can be done with what you already have. Just take the time to learn your lenses.

agree to you 99-100%

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just bullshit, that someone has a better lens color to the 3D world than anyone else. When the light and the time is right for any lens is good. This Canon 70-200L / 4 lens described.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't agree. I love having a 3D effect in my images and my Contax lenses seem do it all the time, whilst I really struggle with other lenses, to the point where I don't use them anymore.

In my opinion, the Canon picture doesn't look like it has 3D to me. I had a 70-300/4-5.6 IS and that made horrible flat images every time.

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
In my opinion, the Canon picture doesn't look like it has 3D to me

+1 difficult to imagine a image more flat than this Canon one Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this effect with various Canon FD and FL series lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:
I've seen this effect with various Canon FD and FL series lenses.

erm what "effect" do you speak of Confused

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddus wrote:
It is just bullshit, that someone has a better lens color to the 3D world than anyone else. When the light and the time is right for any lens is good. This Canon 70-200L / 4 lens described.

This photograph has in a way answered my question in the link below. By comparison it is no where near as sharp as a lot of photographs in this thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-l-lenses-compared-with-older-mf-lenses-t41651.html