Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 3d effect lenses...suggestion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 wide open. I think you can achieve something similar with just about any fast lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To relate 3D effect to lens, I wish (I wish really) to see a couple of identically shot pictures with two different lenses, one known for good 3D, one not. Until that time, I prefer to consider the above examples mainly matter of good photographer eye and hand, then tools Wink.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good examples...I't right this! Many factors...but much depends also from lens type: this was meaning of my topic.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read on another forum: "I bought C/Y Planar T* 100/2 after looking at John Black's picture where a lady is standing on the rocks facing the ocean.
I thought that was so incredible 3-D looking. I've tried many times with the lens, but seldom gets that kind of result.
It's gotta be my technique... "

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree -- 3D is technique, not lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
This is a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 wide open. I think you can achieve something similar with just about any fast lens.

Yes, but isolation of subject in itself does not equal dimensionality or "touchable". Which is exactly why I wrote:

esox lucius wrote:
I find 3D not only as subjects being isolated, it also matters how natural looking the rendering of the lens is. 3D is in my opinion defined as "touchable" or "dimensional", not "isolated" or "flattened".

Look at these photos taken with Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai-S by member dab63 here on mflenses, and then tell me you can get this dimensionality with "any fast lens"...

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=27187&view=previous

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
To relate 3D effect to lens, I wish (I wish really) to see a couple of identically shot pictures with two different lenses, one known for good 3D, one not. Until that time, I prefer to consider the above examples mainly matter of good photographer eye and hand, then tools Wink.

.....you mean something like a domiplan ver Zeiss Laughing

Hey I can show the difference between a crap Yashica dsb lens and Nikkor, and probably got a box brownie somewhere to throw in for comparisons Wink

This shot of mine fascinates me as when I stare at it (say for more than 15 secs), it starts to move around like it was on a piece of string...probably something like my head moving as I breathe and lose concentration.

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue May 17, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3d it's techinque and lens, both of them!Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 3d effect lenses...suggestion? Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Which are best 3d effect lenses? Any suggestions?
Thank a lot!

Define 3D effect! Smile

This is a slippery slope and you'd be surprised at how individual people seem to respond to this. But the infamous 3D effect remains as much as result of composition than optical performances alone. To which I'd add, that in many cases, when shooting RAW, could likely induce the 3D effect with pretty much any lens Smile

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 3d effect lenses...suggestion? Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
sinner79 wrote:
Which are best 3d effect lenses? Any suggestions?
Thank a lot!

Define 3D effect! Smile

This is a slippery slope and you'd be surprised at how individual people seem to respond to this. But the infamous 3D effect remains as much as result of composition than optical performances alone. To which I'd add, that in many cases, when shooting RAW, could likely induce the 3D effect with pretty much any lens Smile

Hope this helps

This guy achieved the 3d effect with technique, but I don't think he used a cheap lens:-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/3792807307_ba646df24b_o.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a photo edited digitally!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it a great deal yet, but I have found my Nikkor-P 105mm 2.5 to produce more of a 3D effect than others. Not just for photos with a narrow depth of field where the subject is isolated either.

I don't have any examples uploaded now, but I took one of a squirrel in a tree where the branches and the squirrel all seemed to have such definition throughout the photo from front to back.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
This is a photo edited digitally!!!

The guy says it's untouched, anyway if you would like to spend a few hours digesting the subject of 3d, then this link should satisfy you:-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829238/0

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me 3D pop is when a picture have clean boundaries. It doesn't really need to have shallow dof, but the transmission needs to be clean between the objects through the "z-axis" so it stands out.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can give more depth/3d effect to a pic with digital PP imho.

This is a shot I snapped of a friend with my Petri CC 1.8/55:

Same shot after a bit of digital editing:

I think the edited version has much more depth/3d effect. Wasn't what I was going for though, wa just going for a vintage look where centre sharpness is good but falls off fast towards edges, giving mily smooth bokeh. Not sure how well I achieved my aim though.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"3D" lens has become a controversial term Smile

Before I jumped into manual lens world I was skeptical about "3D" effect from the lens. I thought it was just a hype or exaggeration.

Until one day I shot this photo below with the old version of Summicron 90. I was amazed the two men on the front looked "pop-out" (I better use this term, less controversial Smile )

But I dont always get pop-out photo from this lens, so I assume that, yes maybe the lens has contribution for making the object looks pop-out, but the environtment, condition, position, composition & lighting have bigger contribution.
I hope I could find time to compare some lenses to find out which lenses have more pop-out rendering.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Summicron is a stunning lens judging by that shot, the two guys really do pop out!

How much did this gorgeous Leitz glass cost you?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That Summicron is a stunning lens judging by that shot, the two guys really do pop out!

7x the price of my Jupiter 85/2 silver Smile I was too late entering the manual lens world where the lens price were already high Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

7x the price of my Jupiter 85/2 silver Smile I was too late entering the manual lens world where the lens price were already high Sad

Hmm, so not cheap! I can't even afford a Jupiter-9...

Looking at your list of lenses, you have an awesome collection and must represent a sizeable investment.

I, too got into the MF world (again) too late for the cheap prices, I had a dozen old C mount TV zooms, Canons and Fujinons, got them for almost nothing on ebay to use for a university video project, I think I paid 99p for the boxful and 10ukp shipping. Ten years later, I could sell those lenses for quite a lot of money, they were almost worthless back then.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
gaeger wrote:

Yes, but isolation of subject in itself does not equal dimensionality or "touchable". Which is exactly why I wrote:

esox lucius wrote:
I find 3D not only as subjects being isolated, it also matters how natural looking the rendering of the lens is. 3D is in my opinion defined as "touchable" or "dimensional", not "isolated" or "flattened".

Look at these photos taken with Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai-S by member dab63 here on mflenses, and then tell me you can get this dimensionality with "any fast lens"...

I'm sorry, but I don't see what these images have to do with proving things one way or the other?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see here many great photos with "3d effect"!Smile
Technique and lens are both very importan...so what can whe say about reccomended focal lenght and aperture?ù
In you opionion what's great for this type ofe shots?
Thank you again...interesting topic!Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
I see here many great photos with "3d effect"!Smile
Technique and lens are both very importan...so what can whe say about reccomended focal lenght and aperture?ù
In you opionion what's great for this type ofe shots?
Thank you again...interesting topic!Smile

This is one I took but not intentionally trying to do anything with, I just happened to be interested by the bottle on the beach, may/may not show signs of 3D. This was taken with a Pentax M40-80mm but not sure of the aperture.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh from oven ... just tested Biometar 80/2.8 Alu this afternoon.
Some shots look quite "pop-out" to me. Smile

I'll post the rest of the Biometar photos on separate post.

Last edited by nixland on Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 90% of all pictures posted here, the dimensionaity comes to high degree from the color contrast in the frame.

In 60% of all the color red pops up.

Isn't that funny ?!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter example...