Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa RF Velvia 100 Magenta cast removed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that magenta cast of Velvia can change depending on which camera. I shot Velvia with many cameras and I always got magenta cast.
I think that more or less cast depends on both light condition and chemical development.

Orio you have it right.
The only chance is to use corrective filters when shooting.
Film that is balance for a certain light temperature is going to have odd hues shot under different light temperatures.
The camera, lens, fingers crossed ......whatever will not change it.
Only a filter can help and not always in full.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still I don't have magenta cast with CZJ MC lenses for Pentacon Six.

And the developing lab was the same so should be the chemical bath.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps MC lens is key, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that magenta cast of Velvia can change depending on which camera. I shot Velvia with many cameras and I always got magenta cast.
I think that more or less cast depends on both light condition and chemical development.

Orio you have it right.
The only chance is to use corrective filters when shooting.
Film that is balance for a certain light temperature is going to have odd hues shot under different light temperatures.
The camera, lens, fingers crossed ......whatever will not change it.
Only a filter can help and not always in full.

I surmise that the statements indicate that Velvia will show magenta cast, no matter which camera or scene?

I am not sure that is the case - I will try to find my old slides with AE-1 and Canon FD lenses with Velvia 50 under varying conditions.

I don't remember magenta casts in any of those slides, but I certainly will be the first to admit that my memory is being left behind... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Perhaps MC lens is key, who knows.

You can see again the shots I made in the woods last week with Velvia and P6, no magenta cast anywhere. I didn't correct them a bit in Silverfast or Photoshop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila --- I like these pictures a lot !!!

@ Orio -- I am getting worried that you have the true --
unfortunately shadows on Velvia can be seen as STRONG MAGENTA and there is nothing how to remove this issue --
doesn't depend on camera -- I found this on my Hassy, but results very similar to Attila's..

@Alessandro -- please, have you got any examples with your Pentacon6? It would so kind of you to see them Smile many thanks...

@ Attila --- I was just trying to adjust these pics Smile all rights reserved by ATTILA, of course Smile!
The colours may vary on different monitors.. Smile I hope I haven't done anything wrong .. Smile

cheers

tf
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Trifox on correcting those, still the #7 need a bit more correction and #4 and #6 just a tiny bit.

These are my latest shots with Velvia 50 http://forum.mflenses.com/medium-format-autumn-t12057.html and sincerely I don't see the same magenta cast.

I experienced it though with Bessa and Velvia 100F a lot similar to Attila.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Nice work Trifox on correcting those, still the #7 need a bit more correction and #4 and #6 just a tiny bit.

These are my latest shots with Velvia 50 http://forum.mflenses.com/medium-format-autumn-t12057.html and sincerely I don't see the same magenta cast.

I experienced it though with Bessa and Velvia 100F a lot similar to Attila.

Hi Alessandro --- yep, the no.7 hard to adjust quickly -- needs a local adjustment with a masking --- I can do it, 4 and 6 as well..

The first advantage of Magenta is that it makes a contrast on picture especially with blue tones --- it can't be just simply removed -- otherwise the contrast can be lost ..

VELVIA 50 Seems to be better for landscapes --- because of her lower sensivity so replacement magenta tone is not requiered anymore...

coming back soon

tf

Last edited by trifox on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your version also Trifox, thank you for all of you to help me to get better result!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like your version also Trifox, thank you for all of you to help me to get better result!

Cheers Atilla , if you want I can adjust your pics in full -- it was just a quick adjustmet Smile

the finding is propably this:
for pictures like landscapes -- Velvia 50 is better (see Alessandro's examples) or Provia 100 or filter --- I'll try to scan my Provia pics...we shall see..

Velvia 100 has some magenta in emulsion because of higher ISO to make a picture more contrasty -- this is only my guess Smile not exact !!! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
This is unbelevable great stuff from such a old cam !
Love those pictures Attila !

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we isolted the magenta-cast problem:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/55573-velvia-100f-other-photographers-experience.html

The experiences in the above forums are pretty similar to mine:

Velvia 50 - no problem at all (best Velvia film ever after the oiginal one now discontinued).

Velvia 100F - magenta casts depending on exposure or other random factors.

Velvia 100 - far less problems (but if I have to shot at 100 ISO I prefer Provia all the day).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/55573-velvia-100f-other-photographers-experience.html

Velvia 50 - no problem at all (best Velvia film ever after the oiginal one now discontinued).

Velvia 100 - far less problems (but if I have to shot at 100 ISO I prefer Provia all the day).

wow!!! My guess confirmed .... Thanks Alessandro -- VERY USEFUL INDEED!!!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Magenta cast with Velvia 100F Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

tf

G'day folks.
I was the writer of that post referred to above re a magenta cast in Velvia 100F. I'm still researching it and am very interested in scouting about for as many experiences of others with 100F as I can, hence landing on this forum when I caught a tag from Google...

One possible culprit I am looking at is the use of a Hoya Super HMC Skylight 1B filter which, as you'll know, has a light pink tint to it. I have noted there is no magenta cast in images shot with a polariser. My experience in recent times is that early morning sun on brown-ish coastal sand actually came out with a quite bizarre reddish tinge. I doubt though the cast is caused by lens coatings but my next point of scrutiny will be quality control of the E6 lab which, having been "over-run" by the new-fangled digital dictum, doesn't fire it up very often and when it does, it's a 6 day turnaround. Just want to check if they monitor their chemicals... On occasion I've had a greenish-blue cast on RVP 50 which my printer has deftly cancelled out during the Ciba process. So, for now, I will be re-running the shoot at the beach with a UV(0) filter and new roll of 100F from a different batch, and see what happens...

PdJ
Australia.

Example of obvious magenta cast but note absence of any tint to the whites of the water. Some may say a magenta cast can be beneficial for sunrise (this pic) and/or sunset, but only if the effect is moderate. This image is a travesty of the actual lighting observed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Magenta cast with Velvia 100F Reply with quote

Poisson Du Jour wrote:
trifox wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

tf

G'day folks.
I was the writer of that post referred to above re a magenta cast in Velvia 100F. I'm still researching it and am very interested in scouting about for as many experiences of others with 100F as I can, hence landing on this forum when I caught a tag from Google...

One possible culprit I am looking at is the use of a Hoya Super HMC Skylight 1B filter which, as you'll know, has a light pink tint to it. I have noted there is no magenta cast in images shot with a polariser. My experience in recent times is that early morning sun on brown-ish coastal sand actually came out with a quite bizarre reddish tinge. I doubt though the cast is caused by lens coatings but my next point of scrutiny will be quality control of the E6 lab which, having been "over-run" by the new-fangled digital dictum, doesn't fire it up very often and when it does, it's a 6 day turnaround. Just want to check if they monitor their chemicals... On occasion I've had a greenish-blue cast on RVP 50 which my printer has deftly cancelled out during the Ciba process. So, for now, I will be re-running the shoot at the beach with a UV(0) filter and new roll of 100F from a different batch, and see what happens...

PdJ
Australia.

Example of obvious magenta cast but note absence of any tint to the whites of the water. Some may say a magenta cast can be beneficial for sunrise (this pic) and/or sunset, but only if the effect is moderate. This image is a travesty of the actual lighting observed.

Quoted so to show the image (because of the spam blocker PdJ).

I'm really curious about your finding, anyway I found out some magenta cast also in Velvia 50 if badly underexposed (more than 1 stop) and I also heard the same problem from other photographers here in Italy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro ,

One point to note that while the cast was present under Skylight 1B filtration and not under polarisation (that is, POL exclusively, not piggybacked with 1B) is because a POL filter has a 'cooling' (blue) effect. The suggestion therefore is that the magenta hue is environmentally-influenced and the film, being red-sensitive, exaggerates it, just like that old chestnut Velvia 50 which is green sensitive and maxes out anything green.

Talking to a colleague this morning we touched on another, somewhat obscure subject of algal blooms on deposited salt in sand that react with sunlight and give rise to a very pink hue, often much loved by landscape photographers. Around 500km away we have a geological feature called "Pink Lakes" (dry saltwater lakes) where most nights in warmer weather the lakes literally glow vivid pink: a result of algal growth on salt crystals in the evaporated 'salt pans'.

Velvia 100F has delighted me on a 2006 trip to New Zealand with crisp, clear rendition (the rendition of whites and blues is marvellous) if a rather flashy, avant garde palette in hazy to bright sun. I'll continue to use it but watch for places where conditions may predispose to a magenta hue and change over to RVP 50 — or use a POL (not really suitable for ultra-wide angle landscape work).

Thanks for fixing up the photo; I was befuddled as to why it didn't show up! Smile

.:: PDJ ::.

Last edited by Poisson Du Jour on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to aboard!