Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bellows stiffening
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Bellows stiffening Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm just about to start making a replacement set of bellows for my 5x7 camera ad I was wondering, what have people used for stiffening? I suppose cardboard would work but I just wondered what others may have used, perhaps some kind of thin plastic sheet?

Also, what sort of glue have people used?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have used blackout fabric and card stiffeners inside. Normal contact adhesive or fabric glue will do (£1 shop). Paint the inside black. The outside can be pink with flowers if you want. Blackout material is opaque and pretty stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Phil. If I make a balls-up of this, I might have to bribe you to sort it out for me Wink

I am using a double-layer, the inside is blackout curtain lining, it's like rubberised velveteen, one side being soft black velvety, the other being white rubberised. The outer is cherry red leatherette, as the original bellows were deep red sealskin.

I bought enough material to make half a dozen sets of bellows so I'll have a go at making a set without stiffening and see how that works. I've made a pattern out of very thick paper and used it to cut out the two pieces of material, I need to buy some glue tomorrow. I'm thinking I might have to make a former out of wood or thick corrugated cardboard.

The bit I'm uncertain about is the folding, I can see the air being several shades of blue when it comes to that bit!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find all kinds of instructions on the net on folding paper bellows. This method has worked with stiff blackout material. Iron the creases, you dont need fillets inside the bellows if you do it right.

My home made cam is on hold because I dont want to go through the ball-ache folding bellows process (again - I remember what it was like 30 odd years ago).

Air blue, ultraviole(n)t more like!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.instructables.com/id/bellows-for-large-format-camera/

This isn't a bad explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

What I've done so far is make a pattern out of very thick paper,just like this one:

Today I'm going to cut out the two pieces of material and glue them together, wish me luck. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint Madeleine! it's a lot of precision work! A cone shaped bellows is not for the faint of heart as a DIY job!

What will use for plying the paper, some sort of template?

Good look Ian,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've done is cut out the two pieces of material, and now I am drawing out on the back side, the pattern, then I will cut from cardboard, all the stiffening pieces and glue them to the inner piece, them glue the outer piece on top. Next step is to make a conical form from thick corrugated cardboard and use this to form the bellows around and glue the seam. Once this is done, it's a case of folding all the creases and folds into it.

I'll take some pictures,it's not easy to explain with words.

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys, I have a feeling I'll be needing 'em. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

I made a bellows something around nearly 30 years ago. A very big one for a self-made large format. It worked, but it was a lot of work to do!
So I know you will not have an easy work.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Klaus. It's something to keep me occupied during all these miserable winter days with endless rain. Smile