Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bell & Howell Eymax Anastigmat 2 inch, f/4.5, what is it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Bell & Howell Eymax Anastigmat 2 inch, f/4.5, what is it Reply with quote

G’d day, everyone

Having an Eymax in the doing I’d like to share some information about that lens.

It’s a triplet, the classic Cooke portrait lens, in a fixed focus design. We have a nine-blade diaphragm and a scale from f/4.5 through f/22. The iris mechanism, however, is of the modern sort, you know, modernism as it had begun with WWI. Stamped through leaves, the actuacting cage held down by a music-wire spring in a groove. I don’t know when the lens was made, serial number is 279,XXX. 1927 perhaps, the Bell & Howell Eyemo camera was first marketed in 1925.

We have a blackened all-brass construction with a rear mounting thread of 15/16" that fits the Bell & Howell Eyemo quick-change bush. A front thread of 0.96", a tad wider than the rear, holds a blackened aluminum sunshade tube which in turn accepts glass filters secured by a threaded and slotted spring ring. The filter diameter is 1.026 inch or 26 mm, its thickness 0.086" or 2,184 mm. My example is a yellow filter, named AERO 2, Made in America. Most probably has it come from Wollensak who also made the lens. The elements, a plano-convex, a biconcave, and an asymmetric biconvex glass, are not bloomed.

These were the cheapest standard focal length lenses sold with the Eyemo camera. One could upgrade to four-elements lenses such as the Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Comat, five-elements lenses such as the Bausch & Lomb f/1.9, six-elements lenses such as the TTH Opic, and other Cooke designs. Wollensak made a one-inch Eymax, too.

Since I haven’t finished work on my Eymax you will have to wait a little for images made with it. I have an Eyemo 71-C that is waiting for a shoot. I am quite sure I shall have nice and sharp pictures out of a lens that is 91 years old. The grease was rotten, it was about time to do something.

Kind regards to all cinematographers and photographers