Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bell & Howell 2 in. f/1.2 projector lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Bell & Howell 2 in. f/1.2 projector lens Reply with quote

Here are some flower pics from a recent visit to Ogunquit, ME. All photos taken on the Sony A7 Mii with an interesting Bell & Howell 2 in. F/1.2 lens removed from a broken 16mm movie projector.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wow.
Nice artistic lens for sure !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft affectionate glow. Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bell & Howell 2 in. f/1.2 projector lens Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Here are some flower pics from a recent visit to Ogunquit, ME. All photos taken on the Sony A7 Mii with an interesting Bell & Howell 2 in. F/1.2 lens removed from a broken 16mm movie projector.

Very nice dreamy results. Can you share how you do the adaption to sony E mount? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words! Here are a few more images with the same lens. It is hard to see here on the forum post, but the center is very sharp. Look at the LCD screen on the back of the camera in #3, and its central portion 200% blow-up in #4. Definitely one of those "art" lenses!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptation of this lens is a bit on the crude side. It's made out of just two parts: the mounting end of a rubber lens shade glued to an Aluminum M42->E-mount adapter. I had to do some lathe work. First I started with an M42->E-mount adapter which I faced down to an acceptable length, so that I could hit infinity focus. The back focus distance is quite small on this lens. Next I bored out the inside of the adapter to provide clearance so the lens could slide in and out of the adapter freely. Finally I found an old rubber lens shade on which the ID of the lens mounting threads where just slightly larger than the OD of the lens. I glued this to the font face of the E-mount adapter. This "focus-by-friction-fit seems to work fine, although I have noticed that it is loosening up a bit with use. I may have to wrap the body of the lens in some tap if it gets too sloppy! Here are some pics:

Cheers!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great diy job ! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first set are really nice. Congrats Like 1 .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots and a very good use of this lens!

I did not manage previously to put it well on Nex, I only had 1m of distance. Later I realized that I did not push the lens deep enough into the mount. I am going to give it another try.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creative solution to the mounting problem. Kudos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos and adaption of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of fun to be out shooting with--and you have some nice shots there. It is so cool how flowers can render in such shallow DOF. Best, jt