Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bedroom to Dry Darkroom Conversion Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Bedroom to Dry Darkroom Conversion Project Reply with quote

And so it begins.

Having mulled it over, I decided to convert a spare bedroom into a dry darkroom. My goal is to have a 'permanent' darkroom set up, but one that can easily be dismantled should the need for the space require it be a bedroom again. So after a bit of planning, measuring and scheming, the project was commenced. I started last night cleaning some of the stuff out, and this morning took the bed apart.

My biggest issue is a window on a south-facing wall, making it light-tight and all. But I didn't want a permanent cover. So I stopped by the local fabric store and picked up some black felt, and a couple 2x2s at Home Depot. I cut the 2x2's to fit snugly in the window opening, holding the black felt up... basically it's all friction-fit. As expected, it doesn't stop all the light,

but I have some old paneling laying around that I will screw to the 2x2s to complete the light trap. The felt is more to seal around the perimeter of the makeshift frame.

Once this is done, I will simply lean the bed up against that part of the wall & window. Then I will start building some simple 2x4/plywood work areas, one to hold the enlarger and another for the various trays. The enlarger will be on the left side of the image, and the trays between it and the corner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Window successfully darkened.

Carcass for workspace built.

Gonna cut the plywood before it gets too dark, then call it good for the night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plywood tops installed, and most of the gear has been hauled in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is pretty much done. I just need to tidy up the cords and I'm ready to get going.I built a little cabinet to hold the small stuff, and added a couple shelves. I found a new/old stock light, so I got some zip cord and a pull chain for it.

I also found an old radio/CD player. It may or may not work, but if it does I can at least enjoy some oldies while souping things up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a fine working space! Welldone!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very good,thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the radio / player is a nice detail, especially when developing films