Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bausch&Lomb Tessar 164/4.5 Enlarger lens on bellows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Bausch&Lomb Tessar 164/4.5 Enlarger lens on bellows Reply with quote

I picked this up with a large batch of other enlarger and industrial lenses a few months ago, and only lately figured out how to mount it.

I used a 49->52 filter adapter, drilled and tapped for set-screws; I used an M42->49mm reverser ring to mount it on the bellows. I added an extension ring to get greater extension so the assembly can reach 1:1, as the focal length is rather long for macro work.

This is apparently a licensed Tessar design from Zeiss made by Bausch&Lomb, one of the oldest US optical companies, one of the "Rochester Group", that accumulated in Rochester, NY, the center of the US optical and photo industry. Others were Kodak (of course), Wollensak, Ilex, Graflex, Elgeet, etc. I think this lens dates from the 1940's or 1950's, probably earlier as it is uncoated, though as it is an enlarger lens, and coating may not have been introduced so quickly for these.

Its an extremely nicely made lens, like a lot of these old enlarger lenses it is all nickel brass. It is surprisingly small for what it is, much smaller than my Wollensak and Ilex lenses of the same specification.

As for quality - I have no complaints. It may be a hair sharper than the Wollensak or Ilex lenses, but doing macro in the field there are too many other considerations that are more significant than lens sharpness.

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2890927915_35b09e4a43_o.jpg
[/img]

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Luis,
You've showed up the soul of this lens!
The flower macros are excelent, the bird shows an an impressive sharpness and colour, nice work, congrats!.

I would have never thought on mounting enlarger lenses this way...
Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are my hero!
And definitely source of inspiration for adapter creating Smile I've found a CNC that I can use for free, have the CAD man so there will come Canon adapters for all sort of lenses that I'll own.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tremendous set. Many thanks. All the macros are stunning.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody see your work I think he don't believe to his eyes...Stunning pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always remember when I see your works the story I was told once when a famous painter was asked

"Stunning picture - which brush did you use?"

Are there any lenses you produce bad pictures with? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I said Luis able to produce without lens stunning pictures Wink I don't think so this stunning result comes from lenses. I strongly believe nobody can produce same result than Luis.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how these wonderful images could be topped by any of us. Simply spectacular, and I'll agree with others - I think you could bring out the best from ANY lens... Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice pics.

Wanderfull lens, beautifull with the tube.

As always, the enlarger lens is a excelent macro lens too.

Thanks for yours pics.

Rino.