Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bausch&Lomb/Kodak 5-inch f/8 Rapid Rectilinear
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Bausch&Lomb/Kodak 5-inch f/8 Rapid Rectilinear Reply with quote

I have several of these, of various ages and types, all probably taken from old Kodaks -

I usually mount them on bellows, or for the shorter focal lengths, the Accura focing tube is quite convenient, with extension rings to adjust infinity focus. As usual on smaller lenses, I mounted this on a plastic M42 body cap. These are $2 each, so quite a bargain for this experimenting.

This one has a unique feature - a "frame counter" that actually counts each shutter release. I can see some problems with this arrangement !

But because of this feature, we can identify pretty accurately what camera it came from - A Kodak Film Premo No. 1 or Pocket Premo C 3"x5 1/4" (postcard format), or 3 1/4"x4 1/4" cameras. Both types had film pack holders available, hence the need for a counter I suppose. This probably dates to sometime before 1914, maybe 1904-1913.

I estimate the focal length on this (its not marked), at about 5" (127mm). Its apertures are marked 4-128, which is actually in the old British-American "Uniform System", called U.S., which does not mean the USA, it came from Britain but was adopted by Kodak. In our modern system this lens goes from f/8-f/45, and f/8 is the typical maximum for Rapid Rectilinears.

The shutter is a Kodak ball-bearing, with its usual limited speeds, but these simple shutters are notable for reliability and durability. This one is still good. There is a missing pneumatic cylinder on the left, as a rubber bulb would have been the recommended release due to the typical long exposures these things were meant for.

By modern standards these are not at all sharp wide open (at f/8 ), but can be sharp at f/16. Considering the large film format they were meant for, and the fact that their pictures generally were contact-printed and not enlarged (particularly the postcard format), they were probably as good as they needed to be in their day. In our day their deficiencies are apparent on DSLR sensors. That said, this particular one is considerably worse than others I have tried in longer focal lengths.

Samples - the sharp examples were at f/16-f/22

The bird - no crop, the unsharpness at f/8 is apparent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luisalegría and all the people:

This is very interesting. I waited from USA for an order of caps M 42 male. There happened to him the list of the lenses proceeding from US foldings that I have to use to take photos:usted he already commented on some of these lenses, the most modern

-B&L Rapid Rectilinear. Shutter ?.P.K Automatic. Eatsman Kodak.
-Seneca Trio. Wollensak.
-Aldis Butcher Anastigmat f: 6,3-5,25 ". Shutter Betax nº 1.
-Grafex Optar 135 mm-f:4,7. Nº 591788.
-Kodak Ektar f: 4,7-127 mm Nª EO 3245 OL (Year 1946).
-Rapax Wollensak Velostigmat f.4,5-101. Nº425346.
-Rapax Raptar Wide Angle Wollensak 3,5" (90mm), f:6,8. Nº8711952 N

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab results as always. These types of lenses are so fun to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nesster and all the people:

You live in state cradle of the USA lenses! Do you know any of these lenses about my list? Luisalegria commented on the Ektar and the most modern Wollensak.

The USA lenses are not much known by them in Europe but they are marvellous. My favorites are the brass lenses of the XIXth century, but only I could have bought British and french. On the contrary, all the old lenses with shutter that I have, are made in USA.

Bests Regards from Europe: David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-B&L Rapid Rectilinear. Shutter ?.P.K Automatic. Eatsman Kodak.

Probably same as mine, usual focal length is 4", 5", 6 3/8" (105mm, 127mm, 162mm), yours is probably the 4". Its probably the FPK shutter (Folding Pocket Kodak) also made by Bausch&Lomb. The FPK shutter had only Time (T), Bulb (B) and Instant(I) - Instant was maybe 1/50 sec. "Automatic" is because this shutter was not cocked.

-Seneca Trio. Wollensak.

Seneca was another maker of cameras. Wollensak made lenses of all kinds for many makers, and Seneca made many kinds of cameras, so its impossible to say exactly what you have. The Seneca Trio was the common shutter on the Seneca, with three speeds plus Time and Bulb, used on many different cameras.

-Aldis Butcher Anastigmat f: 6,3-5,25 ". Shutter Betax nº 1.

Aldis-Butcher (also just Aldis) was a British lens maker. The Betax was a shutter made by Ilex, of Rochester New York USA - Ilex was one of the "Rochester Companies", and made lenses and shutters. Ilex shutters were sold separately, and are still often used for mounting barrel lenses, so all kinds of lenses can be found mounted on Ilex shutters.

-Grafex Optar 135 mm-f:4,7. Nº 591788.

Graflex was a camera maker and did not make lenses and shutters, so it bought them from other makers like Wollensak, Bausch&Lomb, Kodak, etc. Sometimes it put its own brand on these lenses and shutters.

Optar was the name Graflex (the company) used on lenses it bought from other makers. This lens is probably a Wollensak Raptar. The 135mm was one of the standard lens for the 4x5 Speed and Crown Graphic. This is probably a Tessar copy, most of the Raptars were.

Grafex was the name Graflex (the company) used on the shutters it bought from other makers like Wollensak. This shutter is probably a Wollensak Rapax.

-Kodak Ektar f: 4,7-127 mm Nª EO 3245 OL (Year 1946).

Is this in a shutter ? If it is its probably a Kodak Supermatic.

-Rapax Wollensak Velostigmat f.4,5-101. Nº425346.

Rapax was the Wollensak made shutter. Before Wollensak started using the "Raptar" brand they called many of their lenses Velostigmat. 101mmm was a standard focal length for the "miniature" Press Cameras (6x9 cm). This is probably a Tessar type as usual for Wollensak. Some of these lenses were triplets, but not this one.

-Rapax Raptar Wide Angle Wollensak 3,5" (90mm), f:6,8. Nº8711952 N

I have this lens. It is designed to cover 4x5", and in that format is a really wide angle lens - like a 24mm on 35mm format.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens seems to do well close focus, and nice color for B&W era.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luisalegria & all the people.

Yesterday in the night a derscripcion had written of three vintage lenses: F. P. K., Seneca Trio and Aldis Butcher but it trumped the program of translation and I lost the whole text.

Today I am employed at the factory and only I can describe a lens.

Bausch and Lomb Optical Co. Rapid Rectilinear.
Shutter Bausch and Lomb Optical CO. Pat. App'D. Speeds: T, B, I.
F.P.K. Automatic.
Diaphragms 4 to 128.

Bests Regards: David