Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Basic techniques to repair lenses (and cameras)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice kit, Jesito.

I took a camera repair class taught by a grizzled old repair guy about 20 years ago, and learned a few things from him. One has to do with screwdrivers. He pointed out that the screws found in cameras that look like Philips actually aren't -- they're "cross point." According to him, the angle of the tip is different. Cross points have a shallower angle than Philips. It was not easy to find cross-point screwdrivers, though. I think of my three or four sets of "jeweler's screwdrivers," only one is cross points. Used to be, back then, you could buy repair tools from Vivitar, and I bought several cross point and slotted screwdrivers from them. Still have 'em.

A couple of items I'd add to Jesito's list are: Naphtha -- a great all-around solvent for getting gummed up things ungummed up. Useful for shutters and other precision areas. And PlioBond -- or contact cement, if you can't find Pliobond. They're essentially the same thing. This is a flexible cement that works great for reattaching rubber focusing grips to lens barrels that may have come loose, or for reattaching leatherettes to camera bodies. Sometimes you don't need it with the leatherettes. You can use acetone to "reactivate" the dried out adhesive on the leatherette and it will re-adhere itself to the camera body.

I will also use denatured alcohol and cotton swabs (Q-tips) for some cleaning chores. Like, for example, a Canon FTb I bought last year. The mirror cushion had rotted and a previous owner smeared the rotted rubber across the focusing screen. It was a mess. I didn't feel like having to dismantle the top end of the camera to remove the focusing screen and give it a proper cleaning, so I thought I'd try a cotton swab soaked in denatured alcohol. Wiped it across the focusing screen, and to my surprise, it removed all traces of the gunky sticky rubber residue. I had a spotlessly clean focusing screen. This combination also works well just for general detail cleaning of a camera or lens's exterior.

Also, I've passed along this recommendation here before from time to time, and I will again. If you get stuck and you have questions that folks here can't answer -- like say you're taking apart a fairly complicated zoom lens or hoping to fix a camera's meter -- then I recommend you drop in at the camera repair forum over at KY Photo:

Go here and click on "Maintenance and Repair."

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

There are some very knowledgeable folks who hang out there, including Rick Oleson, a well-known repair guy. I've gotten help several times from forum members when I was stuck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, cooltouch.

Regarding solvents, I do prefer to use Isopropylic alcohol, either pure or dilluted to a 70% (depending on the application), although I keep a can of lighter fluid for the case it's needed.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopropyl alcohol certainly works well, and I too keep a bottle handy. I prefer denatured, however, because the regular iso that you buy off the shelf at your local drug store is about half water, and after the alcohol evaporates, water remains. This can be a problem in some situations. With denatured alcohol, I don't have this problem.

It's worth noting that "lighter fluid" and naphtha are the same thing. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Isopropyl alcohol certainly works well, and I too keep a bottle handy. I prefer denatured, however, because the regular iso that you buy off the shelf at your local drug store is about half water, and after the alcohol evaporates, water remains. This can be a problem in some situations. With denatured alcohol, I don't have this problem.

Well, the one I use is 100% water free, I buy it at a chemicals store for labs.
You're right, most commercial alcohols (ethilic, methilic...) come with some water dillution. Denaturated have the problem of the add-ons (colour, smell) that are added to make them ucomfortable for the human use... and they also remain after evaporation...

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Well, the one I use is 100% water free, I buy it at a chemicals store for labs.
You're right, most commercial alcohols (ethilic, methilic...) come with some water dillution. Denaturated have the problem of the add-ons (colour, smell) that are added to make them ucomfortable for the human use... and they also remain after evaporation...

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The denatured alcohol I buy has less than 10% of the denaturing additives, which I don't really consider to be a problem. Some folks develop a sensitivity to these additives, however, so I should probably add a cautionary note about its use -- use protective gloves, don't inhale fumes, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with a spanner wrench at work and was dissapointed.
My modified big old caliper was much better - here are some pictures of it:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/kamera-reparatur-werkzeug.html
It is big enoug for all the lenses I open Very Happy

For some tasks I use a part of a bicycle tube. The rubber is good to open some filter rings. But I still need something like those rubbers you mentioned.

For flash capacitor draining I build a adjustable resistor with high voltag cables - but I think there are better commercial devices to buy - for less money.

I use Wiha PicoFinish Phillips screwdrivers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I worked with a spanner wrench at work and was dissapointed.
My modified big old caliper was much better - here are some pictures of it:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/kamera-reparatur-werkzeug.html
It is big enoug for all the lenses I open Very Happy

For some tasks I use a part of a bicycle tube. The rubber is good to open some filter rings. But I still need something like those rubbers you mentioned.

For flash capacitor draining I build a adjustable resistor with high voltag cables - but I think there are better commercial devices to buy - for less money.

I use Wiha PicoFinish Phillips screwdrivers.

Thanks for the info!. The caliper mod is a sound idea... I think I have a spare one to try Wink The benefit is the big handle that will provide a good push.

To discharge capacitors, I built this unit that is very effective:

The diodes provide a fixed voltage to the LEDs that light whilst there is energy stored in the capacitor. The resistor R1 has to be able of disipating 5 Watt or more...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That´s a great thread here! Thanks Jesito!

Could you please advice some supplier of these tools? Where to get them, what prices are appropriate, what to seek for?

Thanks!

b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
That´s a great thread here! Thanks Jesito!

Could you please advice some supplier of these tools? Where to get them, what prices are appropriate, what to seek for?

Thanks!

b

A little difficult. Our official provider, Alex (HK300) is not visiting the forum since July. I've found some alternative providers for some of the tools.
Please, tell wich of the tool are you interested in and I'll try to give you a rough idea of how much it can cost and where to find a similar one.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to repair some of my Zuiko lenses - first 50/1.8, after some practising 50/1.2. I haven´t done anything like that before.

I pretend i would need a spanner wrench, some screwdivers, something to grab lenses with, some finger gloves? For start, just basic tools.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendation on where can I buy/how to make myself the lens unscrewing tubes?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
I would like to repair some of my Zuiko lenses - first 50/1.8, after some practising 50/1.2. I haven´t done anything like that before.

I pretend i would need a spanner wrench, some screwdivers, something to grab lenses with, some finger gloves? For start, just basic tools.

Right, you would need a spanner wrench and/or rubber cups to disassemble the lenses.
I don't use finger gloves, just full latex or vinyl gloves (for the whole hand).
And some vacuum cups to lift the lenses.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainiuss wrote:
Any recommendation on where can I buy/how to make myself the leClick here to see on Ebayns unscrewing tubes?

difficult to say now. Alex (Hk300) is not anymore available, and he was who provided mines.
In the past I used to go to the harware stores and ask for the rubber plugs that are used to end the metal tube legs on some chairs.

I found these, that look better than the ones from India:

Click here to see on Ebay

But no experience with them.

Also found these rubber cups (also no experience with them) The seller seems to have them in several different diameters.

Click here to see on Ebay

Good Luck!

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some spanners from Micro Tools: Not so cheap, but look nice:

Micro Tools Spanners

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from Micro Tools there is a nice Lens Ring Tool Set

Here is the one set that fits most common lens rings leaving the center clear for the glass portion of the lens. Sizes are 13, 19, 21, 24, 29, 30, 36, 37, 44, 45, 54 & 62mm:

(BTW, I'm not related in any way to Micro Tools, just found them as an alternative to the MFLenses tools, and thought it could be useful for the colleagues )

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of those spanners, Jesito, and I do not recommend them. Not only are they way overpriced, but those interchangeable tips slip out of place and move around. The result is a scarred lens element or front ring -- or both. If you insist on using one of those sets, be very careful with it. It works well only if the ring is not very tight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a set of those spanners, Jesito, and I do not recommend them. Not only are they way overpriced, but those interchangeable tips slip out of place and move around. The result is a scarred lens element or front ring -- or both. If you insist on using one of those sets, be very careful with it. It works well only if the ring is not very tight.

Thanks for your comment, Michael!!
No, I'm not really wishing to use them, just looking for alternatives to the nice ones provided in the past by our colleague HK300, unfortunately missing since long.

Any feedback (in any sense) for any of the tools will be very appreciated!

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your links Jesito, indeed very helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainiuss wrote:
Thanks for your links Jesito, indeed very helpful!

You are welcome!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Repaint Reply with quote

Great Thread !

I have taken apart quite a few old lenses with varying results but one thing I havnt been able to figure out is how to repaint the numbers and lines?

I want to repaint quite a few lenses were the color is almost or even completely gone.

What kind of paint is normally used or could be used?

There are probably new kinds of paint that might work better then the old ones?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the numbers are recessed and not silkscreened onto the lens, I've heard of it done the following way:

Buy model airplane enamel paint in the small bottles in the colors you need.

Using the tip of a toothpick, first clean out the number or line "grooves" with alcohol to remove all traces of dirt and grime. Let the alcohol evaporate.

Using the tip of another toothpick, dip it into the paint and push the paint into the number or line grooves. Dip a cotton swab into paint thinner, and wipe across the lens body or part over the number or line grooves, then wipe clean with a paper towel. If necessary, add a bit of paint thinner to the paper towel and wipe over the lens body or part again.

You should have wet paint down into the number grooves now and the excess traces of paint should have been removed with the cotton swab and paper towel. Let the paint dry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Assuming the numbers are recessed and not silkscreened onto the lens, I've heard of it done the following way:

Buy model airplane enamel paint in the small bottles in the colors you need.

Thanx for the tip.

Im not sure airplane hobby paint is what I would like to use though Smile Not unless there is a more "authentic" way.
What do the professionals use?
What kind of paint was Nikon, Canon and others using "yesterday" and what are they using today? Maybe they too use hobby paint but I have read somewere that they atleast used to use some kind of wax-like paint that was first heated up so it melted, then poored into the recessed numbers and any paint leftovers were simply wiped of.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Used to holiday with my family at Estartit Reply with quote

Jesito

Many thanks for a very thorough primer on repair!

You live in a very beautiful part of the world!

Pat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliasant wrote:

Im not sure airplane hobby paint is what I would like to use though Smile Not unless there is a more "authentic" way.
What do the professionals use?

You can get matte and glossy black paint from camera repair material suppliers. Beyond that, the said model paints are the only ones that exist in tiny packages and a wide variety of colours and surfaces, so essentially it boils down to Revell for professionals as well.

In the past, manufacturers used pretty much the same (solvent/alkyd) paint type - but sprayed onto the bare, pre-etched metal, dried in a cleanroom and heat cured.

Now that industrial paint processes are generally using technologies not applicable at workshop level (like powder coating or electrophoresis), there is no question of using "original paints" any more - current paints cannot be applied in touch-up repairs.