Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

B&W developing - essential answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Philslizzy excellent post...if you use powder you have to mix it all in one go and stored it in a container. It's not advisable to measure out say 1/10th of the powder for one shot use as the chemicals might not be mixed thoroughly.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
so how many developments I can do with 1 liter ILford DD-X?

I also find the following:

- Universal Developing Tank with 2 spirals
- Two 600ml Graduates
- One 150ml Graduate
- Thermometer
- Film Squeegee
- Set of 2 Film Clips
- Full instructions

with 80 euros including shipptment.. I wish they were cheaper a bit.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very pricey. Look for:

Developing tank (& spirals) €20
Homebrew thermometer €10
lab measuring cylinder. 500ml €5
(average ebay prices)

The tank is the heart of the process. I use a kitchen jug to measure liquids or if I want really precise the medicine measure is as good as if not better than the photographic one. You can get LCD thermometers for about £1, they look good enough there are many more like this with smaller graduations Click here to see on Ebay

Squeegees and film clips are non essential. I use clothes pegs to hang my film, Some prefer to use squeegees, we've had this conversation before...

I can let you have an old Patterson tank free if you pay postage. same as this but with 2 spirals: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi indeed you are right.
I am able to find all this stuff in the uk ebay and not in the german one. If I order each one separately from uk paying separate transportation costs for each item is killing me even more..
I wiill do one more ebay round today
Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in a remote part of Germany as I just cannot understand why you can't get anything cheap or see any bargains....aren't there any:- boot sales, flea markets, charity shops, German forums..... that can help you.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can find development tank for 1 35mm film only
for 18 euros...
Is every tank that is called film development tank, a tank that can prevent light get in?

Alex

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People call them all sorts. A developing tank is a developing tank. You only develop films in them. Naturally you wont want an Edwardian half plate tank which mut be used in the dark but all developing tanks made after WW2 are light tight and can be used in daylight once the seal and top are put on.

To re iterate i have a Tank with 2x 35mm spirals you can have for nothing if you pay the post. PM me if you are interested. I have no use for two tanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am presenting you below the current hardware list I have ordered and I would like to comment on what is missing:

Thermometer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121090555715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

2x Measuring cylinders 500ml (they have bit more space over 500ml)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301035707135?var=600177151762&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Black Bag
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380744959976?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

StopWatch
I will be just using the one we use in kitchen. It can work as a stop down timer or just as normal timer. I guess I would be having in stop down timer 10 minutes and shaking every about 1 minute

Developing Tank
Got one from a forum member here.. so nothing to comment here rather that I bough the best

Gloves-Disposable
Have those already at household

What else I need in terms of hardware?

Now about the chemicals I would like to be processing Ilford films so I guess ILFORD DD-X would be a natural choice.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gloves? Rubber or vinyl gloves may have powder on them. Wash them and they will become sticky. My advice is use cotton if you must but you'll lose all tactile sense. Essential when you're loading a tank.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Powder and liquid form of the same developer are the same. In liquid form you are buying 90% water, powder is more economical, cheaper to post and is always fresh.

Sharpness and grain sort of go together, fine grain will make the images appear sharper anyway.

I had a look at the prices and I really think I should go powder.. If I am not wrong I just need the right scoop to measure it and the dillute it with water. I was doing pretty much the same with my babys formula over the previous months.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Powder and liquid form of the same developer are the same. In liquid form you are buying 90% water, powder is more economical, cheaper to post and is always fresh.

Sharpness and grain sort of go together, fine grain will make the images appear sharper anyway.

I had a look at the prices and I really think I should go powder.. If I am not wrong I just need the right scoop to measure it and the dillute it with water. I was doing pretty much the same with my babys formula over the previous months.