Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

B&W conversion of running child photo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: B&W conversion of running child photo Reply with quote

I made this B&W conversion of my running child picture.
I would like to know what you think of it, if it's good, or what you would do different.
I tried to enhance the shadow (the child does not touch the ground) and of course this costed a bit in term of black safety for dark part - but perhaps not too imporant?
The original is in the Brixellum series part 3.

I also would like to know how you see it colour wise. On my apple/pc computer the grey looks neutral. On my laptop the greys seem blueish. My guess is that the laptop is the one with wrong calibration but I'd like to hear from you about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, Orio. Perfect contrast, white is white (and not gray, one of the normal problems on B&W conversions), the image is vivid.
Well done!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I like it, Orio. Perfect contrast, white is white (and not gray, one of the normal problems on B&W conversions), the image is vivid.
Well done!

Jes.

Thanks Jes. Does grey look neutral on your monitor?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Does grey look neutral on your monitor?

On my calibrated monitor the grey is neutral.

I have my personal taste with B&W conversions, usually adding a slight sepia hue (about 4-8%) as it seems more "photographic" to my taste.

The contrast here is good, I wouldn't make it any different ( I would make the framing different because that central pillar hurts my eyes, but this is another matter Wink)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first sight I thought there was a very slight violet hue in the photo, but no, it isn't. Seems pretty good on my display.
I also like the exposure. Contrast is great, not too strong but strong enough to make an impact and the very tiny areas of burned highlights (top of the small columns) or deep black (this little whatever-it-is mid right) are not at all disturbing - on the contrary I think they add to the message of the picture.
I like it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey looks neutral to me and there's a good range of tones with enough contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Thanks Jes. Does grey look neutral on your monitor?

Yes, I don't see any hue in my monitor (Lenovo T61 laptop's one).

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! THis feedback is important, now I know that colour-wise I can trust my Philips 220WS, a monitor of which I am so incredibly happy. The images really pop out of it, and the photos with "3D" seem even more so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
that central pillar hurts my eyes

really? I like the play of the diagonals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like much B&W so I wasn't want to make any comment, but I guess Alessandro has right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look well, the column is not perfectly centred.
Also, there can be central elements if the rest of the composition balances them. It all depends on the composition, there is no absolute rule.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you look well, the column is not perfectly centred.
Also, there can be central elements if the rest of the composition balances them. It all depends on the composition, there is no absolute rule.

It's absolutely a matter of taste Orio Smile, but I think it's useful to express our own impressions and experiences.
I don't like because it steals too much the scene from the boy or, if the pillar was the subject (not probable I think) then the jumping boy is distracting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was photographing the columns and the child ran in. I could "pose" the column, but I could not pose the child! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I was photographing the columns and the child ran in. I could "pose" the column, but I could not pose the child! Laughing

Lol Orio Very Happy Of course. That's why I would put focus on the child and left the pillars just as "ambient". But again, personal taste, nothing to kill for Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you crop it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
How would you crop it?

This way (I also added my preferred B&W contrast curve, Ilford D 100 clone)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... yes, I like it. More centred on the child.

But at the same time, it feels like it lacks the context of the piazza (the larger space, the people on the left).

I don't know. Immediately, I liked your version better. Now, after some minutes, I feel leaning towards first version again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, is your contrast curve also applying some noise?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
BTW, is your contrast curve also applying some noise?

Yep, it adds some simulated grain (I like it a lot in B&W).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try your crop but keeping my tone map.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I will try your crop but keeping my tone map.

If you will do it, just move the frame a tiny bit to the left so to keep the little pillars all into the frame and moving a bit the child off center (btw, I love that barber shop insignia).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the software that you load curves preset from, Alien Skin Exposure?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What is the software that you load curves preset from, Alien Skin Exposure?

Precisely. It's really great because it also gives you complete control on about everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it work in 16 bit mode?