Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backwater shops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Backwater shops Reply with quote

This morning I wandered round a few of the dusty old second hand photographic shops in Nice. (I was aware of one, but found a second one plus a repair shop in the same general area).

Its sad; they have a small selection of poor condition and flagrantly overpriced equipment, and practically no customers.

One of them does repairs, and I asked about fixing the dinged filter threads on my 135mm (there is a dent which prevents filters mounting). I was quoted 50 euro to fix it, which is more than the lens cost!.

I also saw a D70s (body only) in the window, bravely offered at 600 euro Smile

I guess the impact of a global online market economy has passed these shops by.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing services to the customers who the global online market economy has also passed by?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same here - there used to be a fairly decent pair of photo shops in my nearest large town, but one has almost stopped selling anything photographic, except P&S (oddly enough, they are the only stockist of 120 film) and the other, better one, just doesn't do any used gear at all any more and is only keeping going by doing weedings and portraits - the shop is a shadow of its former self.

(edit)
I'm happy to see, though, that a couple of shops I used to virtually live in years ago (one in Glasgow, one in Luton), are bang up to date and trading well on the internet. I've no doubt they moved with the times as soon as they saw the way things were going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of camera shops - do you remember Elena Mae, Dave?

That's where I got my first Praktica BC-1 from in 1986.

Ian Joy in St Andrews up until he moved across the street had a good selection of s/h cameras, lenses and various junk boxes that were usually worth a rummage.

Not now though - with the move, out went the s/h stuff and in came the modern, although he does keep a fairly good selection of film in both 120 and 135.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local shops ask for much more than you can get an item for on ebay, also here in Germany. Sometime these prices are just ridiculous, but sometimes they are only a little higher and then I might buy something, since you do not have to pay for shipping and you can "feel" the item in you hands (perhaps even try) before you buy...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people do that with Jessop's over here in the UK - most major cities have a branch or two so folks visit the shop to get a feel and then go buy it online. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Talking of camera shops - do you remember Elena Mae, Dave?

The name rings a bell, but I don't recall the shop. I was thinking of Quiggs in Glasgow, who are still going, and there was another one right next to the Barras, on the corner of Ross St and Gallowgate - run by a pair of middle-aged brothers (probably long retired now). Seems to be no trace of the shop now in any directory. Of the two, I preferred the Barras shop - it's where I bought my Nikkormat and subsequent lenses - they were always prepared to haggle and I got several good deals there.

The other shop I referred to was Lorell Photograpics in Luton - always was worth nipping in if passing, because there was always a chance of something interesting being in - and they would reserve it for a small deposit.

Come to think of it - I've a feeling I left Luton having not picked up something I'd reserved - but that was 15 years ago. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Meyer Lydith from Quiggs and very nice it was too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m lucky.
Here we have three very good shops, with plenty of stock inc S/H. Two of them will do their best to match any internet price.
Then we have a Jessops and an old out of date camera place that nobody seems to use.
Throughout this area there are loads of good camera shops.
Many camera stores failed to keep up to date and got caught out with digital. Those who did keep up to date (The real Photo stores) are doing great business.
They complain about the supply and service from the manufactures not lack of custom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling of this. We once had a couple nice shops with some used stuff, but mostly the ability to process film there and the knowledge to help out. The one faded away years ago and other once it moved, died quickly, so no shops here Mad

I am going to delve deeply into the used market in Toronto later in the summer Smile Wink

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a spammer a curious nostalgic thread from 2008 popped up.