Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back from the Rain Forest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Back from the Rain Forest Reply with quote

I re-entered "civilization' last evening after five days in the rain forest. Most of the time it....rained! Very Happy Which is a GOOD thing, and what I had hoped for.

The forest was quiet, intimate, and soul-cleansing. I only wish I would have had an additional five days.

Here are a couple of "quick shots", nearly ruined by jpeg compression...Confused The uncompressed images are extremely sharp - the Flek 20/4 is a very sharp lens stopped down!

Elk Trail
Flektogon 20/4

Spruce and Ferns
Flektogon 20/4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry: your images are what I imagine Jurassic forests would have looked like! Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe these were shot in the Jurassic style Very Happy

The photos convey a sense of isolation, I would probably like that place!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, beautiful set, such a primeval forest!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That FEELS wet !

Thats the Olympic Penninsula ?

The West Coast coastal forests are more or less all damp, down to the Santa Cruz area, but nothing like over there.

I particularly like it when you can find a sunlit spot by a tree trunk and see the steam rising.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive! 5 days in this paradise with snakes and bears Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get your Elk this outing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous Larry - those rainforests are unimaginably beautiful. I shall be visiting the Ewok forest next week

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. The arm must be healing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, when I read that you posted some pics of the rain forest, my heart starts to beat faster, because I know that I will see some excellent shots one click ahead. Just like this time! Really nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all....I only wish I could show these in their native resolutions, they are SO much better in terms of sharpness and clarity.

To answer a couple of questions about the Olympic Peninsula. It is the peninsula in the far northwest corner of the state of Washington, in the farthest northwest area of the contintental USA.

The rainfall in the westward-draining Wynoochee, Humptulips, Quinault, Queets, Hoh, and Bogachiel valleys averages about 13 feet per year (156 inches, or for you metric people about 4 meters).

On this visit, I traveled the rain forest valleys using a combination of automobile and foot travel. I did not venture far off the road because of the possibility of falling and reinjuring my arm. My method was to drive say...about 100 meters at an extremely slow speed (5mph)...then walk back to the last point I had already been. Then, drive another 100 meters and walk back again...repeating this throughout the day as I progressed through the valley.

The difficulty for photography is primarily because of two elements: 1) the tremendous detail and 2) the extreme contrasts, even on a cloudy day.

The rainfall helped bring out the colors and reduced the contrast to an acceptable level, thus allowing me to get some "keepers".

One thing I'll repeat again: the rainforest's qualities of quietness, isolation, and "jungle" provide the feeling of being "a part of the ecotone".

I am looking forward to some more keepers from the images I took with the Mamiya RB67.

By the way, does anyone know a method in which to reduce the problems of compression when converting jpeg files down to 160kb or so? I do use Photoshop's algorithm for "saving to web" but it still excessively degrades the images.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So beautiful as always Larry. 5 days is just a teaser though aye? I get my trip out there at the end of July. More coast and beach action than rain forest. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
By the way, does anyone know a method in which to reduce the problems of compression when converting jpeg files down to 160kb or so? I do use Photoshop's algorithm for "saving to web" but it still excessively degrades the images.

These photos have a lot of details, you should set a fixed jpeg compression level, if you aim for 160kb it's going to degrade images that carry more information while displaying other images just fine. For the web I usually resize the image (selecting bicubic sharper as the reduction algorithm) in photoshop, and then save as quality 8 (save as menu). I find 8 is the magic number for good quality in general. If the photo takes some more space, well, ok, it needs it. I don't use "save for web" except for gif and png to control dithering and color reduction -not for photos. I hope this helps.
By the way, beautiful photos, as usual Smile

edit: if you really have to keep them to 160kb, you can reduce the size and/or soften the image a bit before saving to jpg, you'll get a more even degradation, but the problem still is that all the information you want to see doesn't fit in 160kb.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. As far as keeping the image to 160kb, it is required on here, or the upload tool won't "take" it.

I think though, I should probably load these to PhotoBucket and then I can pump them up to better detail.

So...I'll do just that. Stay tuned.

xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. As far as keeping the image to 160kb, it is required on here, or the upload tool won't "take" it.

I think though, I should probably load these to PhotoBucket and then I can pump them up to better detail.

So...I'll do just that. Stay tuned.

xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots Larry, and as ever Thanks for bringing a piece of your wilderness back to us!

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots - yes the compression has hurt them a little, but you can see through it!