Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Takumar 3.5/35 Pentax K-01
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Auto Takumar 3.5/35 Pentax K-01 Reply with quote

I picked this lens up recently for a very nice price,the only issue is its stuck wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Mo you should try to fix the aperture problem!
this tiny lens is a joy, has fabulous color rendition, and is very sharp but of course once it's stopped down a bit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good even wide open Mo.
Great find
OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making me look for yet more Pentax glass... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Thanks for making me look for yet more Pentax glass... Laughing

for quite a while I had been trying to spread the message of just how wonderful the early Takumars were, besides offering good sharpness, suprising good coating for such old lenses, they are very compact, have great build, and specially I had pointed out the imo amazing color rendition of the Auto Taks...( very few listened, some did Wink )

my samples, Auto Tak 3.5/35: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622773310185/
Auto Takumar 2/55: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622525555050/
Auto Takumar 1.8/55: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157625115235463/

ever since I switched to using mostly halfframe and rangefinder lenses, for them, mostly due to the shorter required adapter on a mirrorless, making a smaller package, I have been missing some of these qualities. Recently found some similarities, also 'antique' colors I much like, with Canon LTMs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mo,

Thats a very desirable lens, you must learn lens repair and servicing! - it will save you money to buy more lenses Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kuuan

just seen your flickr sets on the 35mm tak, the lens definitively has that classic look

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently waiting on a lens spanner (although I broke my screwdriver recently, so I may have to buy another one to work on this lens),I am willing to try and repair this lens or leave it as is and just pick up another one . Is it reapairable as there is no resistance when I push the pin in (it is sort of spongy...push the pin in and it slowly goes back into postion) and The small silver lever moves freely that opens and closes the aperture.

Kuuan, I listened and I am very glad I did, I love the compactness of these lenses especially on the K-01 they look so good together.Plus I am finding they are very sharp lenses especially the 2.2/55 and now the 3.5/35.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
@kuuan

just seen your flickr sets on the 35mm tak, the lens definitively has that classic look

exactly, and thank you for looking

mo wrote:
I am currently waiting on a lens spanner (although I broke my screwdriver recently, so I may have to buy another one to work on this lens),I am willing to try and repair this lens or leave it as is and just pick up another one . Is it reapairable as there is no resistance when I push the pin in (it is sort of spongy...push the pin in and it slowly goes back into postion) and The small silver lever moves freely that opens and closes the aperture.

I wished I had the lens with me to be able to see how to open / service, but I don't. I think it should not be all that difficult, and wish you much success.

mo wrote:
Kuuan, I listened and I am very glad I did, I love the compactness of these lenses especially on the K-01 they look so good together.Plus I am finding they are very sharp lenses especially the 2.2/55 and now the 3.5/35.

haha, good to know! The 2.2/55 is one of the few early Takumars I don't have, but optically it should be identical to the 2/55.

Some others listenend too ( from a few I know for sure because the bought a copy of that lens from me )

In particular I remember one person ( also Aussi who also bought a 2/58 Takumar from me ) who chose a number of lenses for his own normal lens comparison ( and ultimately of course regular use ) evaluating a normal lens shootout that I had done and published. Lenses he chose based on my comparison were the 8 element 1.4/50 Super Tak, the 2/55 Auto Takumar and a Auto Rokkor -PF 1.8/55.
He compared them too a substantial number of other normal lenses on his FF Sony A7R. The 2/55 Auto Takumar consistently was amongst a few top performers and so was, the also very cheap ( which I have not used much for it's considerable bigger size ) Auto Rokkor PF 1.8/55.
The S-M-C 1.4/50, a lens he had not chosen but I had recommended as the most reliable performer, had fallen behind. First he didn't understand why I had recommended it at all, after more testing his opinion changed, a quote from a PM to me:

"I ran the photographic tests over two days and the relative performance of the S-M-C 50/1.4 versus the 8-element 50/1.4 changed from the dull day to a brighter day (a shaded spot, but the directionality of light changed across the two days and the S-M-C 50/1.4 was much better with brighter, more contrasty light. The Auto-Tak 55/2 was consistent with very good centre and edge sharpness even though the 8-element seemed beat it on centre sharpness.

What is proven over the two days is that the Auto-Rokkor PF 55/1.8 is a great performer - consistently amongst the sharpest across range of f-stops, and also the best bokeh across the field - except on the brighter day when the S-M-C 50/1.4 really shone on at f2 and above on centre sharpness and bokeh. "

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: repair Reply with quote

Hello mo,
i've become quite proficient at fixing old manuals and could have a go for you if you like?
Oldhand can let you know where to send. Smile
I have a 3.5 28mm Tak that i will be cleaning due to a small amount of fungus soon.
Even just post some close up pics of your lens and i can prob guide you through it. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind offer,If I go ahead with the repair I will drop you a line.I am still debating if its worthwhile or not, as I can just as easily (I am assuming of course that I can) pick up another one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you decide to get another, i volunteer to buy the faulty one. if you were looking to offload?
Smile

BAB.