Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Rokkor-PF 53mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Auto Rokkor-PF 53mm f2 Reply with quote

This lens was advertised as a 35mm f2 but ended up being a 53mm f2 (strange focal length?)

Just for documentation puposes I photographed the lens and took some quick images with it.

I will return it as the diafragm isn't working as it should. It only closes down when forced to by the DOF preview lever on the lens + the glass has all these strange purple-pink circles in it (coating issue?) which shows up in the bokeh.

Not much info on it to be found around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably oily aperture, my 85/1.7 did the same thing till I cleaned it up.
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

Last edited by Lightshow on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know

But since the glass is not OK i'm not going to open it up Smile

Here are the shots, you can see the effect of the circles in the glass in the bokeh in image 4 and 5

All wide open

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be oil on one or more elements, especially the last one.
Looks like the 53mm is worth buying judging from your pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked carefully, it looks like the back element is indeed almost completely covered in oil Confused

The purple\pink 'eyes' on the rest of the glass elements looks to be something else

Still it doesn't perform too bad but I really do not need another 50 ish lens so will return later today Very Happy

I have also found that list of rokkor lenses very informative, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to bet a quarter that it was shipped with early SR-2's and labeled 53/2 to match Topcon. Surprisingly I don't own one, but I do have its sibling - 55/1.8 which has slow blades and will have to come apart in the next few months.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came on an SR-1 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SR-1, long gone now, had a 55/1.8 on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr-1 had 3 possible standard lenses, 55mm f1,8 or 55mm f2 or this 53mm f2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have it I'm willing to buy it from you... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it is already gone Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:

Seems like a separation to me. Does design includes glued elements?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old one 1964

http://minolta.rokkor.de/normallenses.htm#53mm 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I am willing to bet a quarter that it was shipped with early SR-2's and labeled 53/2 to match Topcon.

I got one when I bought my first SLR, Minolta SR-1 (model V, "slim line") in 1965 I think. I traded the camera in some years later for a SRT101 with 55mm 1.7, so I don't have it anymore. Lens was quite OK.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Sorry, it is already gone Wink

No worries, was just a whim, seems to be rather uncommon vs unpopular.
If anyone comes across one pm me please.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these 53 / 2 lenses, it came on a SR. 1. and is in perfect condition, the camera is unmarked and in a nice leather case.
The lens looks nice, I shall post pictures later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so miserable I nearly didn't go out in the mist and gloom, but I did and took a few pictures with this rather nice Rokkor 53 / 2. I have done some PP on them, mainly to get some contrast and colour in them. But it wasn't a huge amount. I think this lens will be a good one, the bokeh has nice highlights for those that like this type of bokeh. The shot of the urn is wide open and the meagre points of light are making circles. The other shots are one down at 2.9, which is where I would normally shoot.

I'm sure this will be a very nice lens, with some light and colour.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I look forward to more shots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures

Very good lens too.

I think that your 53/2 should be almost the same as the 55/1,8.

The last is one to look for, like yours.

Perhaps from f/2,8 to f/11, the mc 50/1,4 mc 58/1,2 and auto 55/53 mm have very similar rendering, contrast and sharpness.

If that is true, the 53/55 mm are a very good bargain.

Anybody knows about this question?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those posts, i purchased an auto PF Rokkor 55/1,8 in like new condition.

It's the lens for me, till now.

No CA at all (in 1965 lens it is a nice sourprise, when color films weren't so massive yet).

Excellent contrast, also microcontrast. Very good sharpness wide open and superlative at f/4-8, been f/5,6 the best.

I shall sell all my others normals lenses (ST 1,4/50, MC 1,2/58 259xxxx, mamiya sekor 2/50, mamiya sekor 1,7/58 -sold- MC 1,4/50-sold- among others.

Thank you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I just reach into the shelves, grab a lens and go. Today I grabbed the Auto Rokkor-PF 53 mm 2.0, a lens I haven't used for a very long time, and I can't for the life of me think "WHY". It's a very good lens. All these pic's have been PP'd but not sharpened other than JPEG conversion, just a bit of contrast as the light was fading on a grey day
I shall be using this lens a lot more.