Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 55mm F1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
very very good samples!! How come that such a lens costs only 10 euros on ebay??? Is there a trick or?
It also looks very compact that lens. Love that!

I would not say that this lens is compact. With about 300g, it is really heavier and bigger than a SMC Tak 50/1.4 .

Mine which is branded Cosinon suffers from a strong ghosting when it is stopped down in combination with the A7 sensor.
You can really see the hexagone of the aperture on the image if the subject is received some frontal light.
So, a nice lens but for a limited usage.
It is fine on a micro 4/3 sensor ( Pana).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't mind the hexagonal bokeh Very Happy

I am happy you like the photo's!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not talking about bokeh but ghosting. This lens is very good but has hudge ghosting problems with the A7 .
It cannot be used as standard lens with this camera.
As I wrote, it is ok with micro 4/3 as teleobjective.

Cosinon 55/1.4 with A7 f5.6

Yashinon 50/1.7 f5.6 some flare but that's all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean now Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really on german ebay I can see those around 50 euros?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have such a 1.4 55mm M42 too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new images from this evening

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely images Karen! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
What a lovely images Karen! Thanks for sharing.

+1 on that.
It is clearly an outstanding lens.
Thank you
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used the lens in a long time but it was the perfect choice for this shot
It was shot wide open on a6000

Auto Revuenon (Tomioka) 55mm F1,4 by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the Porst version:

Porst55_1.4_1 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

Porst55_1.4_2 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

Porst55_1.4_3 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a genuine grip there on PORST. And lens in nice condition. Focusing should be smooth as butter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Quite a genuine grip there on PORST. And lens in nice condition. Focusing should be smooth as butter?

I wasn't sure about the grip when I first got it but it's growing on me. I've not seen anything like it on anything apart from on Porsts. It certainly gives a period (70s?) look to the lens.

Yes, focus is very smooth. The whole thing feels extremely well engineered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Revuenons came in a variety of grips.
Here is one that I particularly like.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Auto Revuenons came in a variety of grips.
Here is one that I particularly like.
OH

Couldn't agree more on that ... even though my sample has its aperture stuck wide open (occasionally it closes to f2.8 or so, though)!
It has a very pleasing softness at f1.4, and much better corner resolution (less astigmatism, less CAs) than the Canon nFD 1.2/50mm L (!) at f1.2.

Certainly a lens I need to service shortly!

Be aware that there are optically different versions of the Auto Revuenon 1.4/55mm. Yesterday I got another sample of the Auto Revuenon 1.4/55mm (the lens on the left).

While both are [7/5] constructions, the reflections from the lens surfaces are not identical, thus indicating slightly different computations. This is confirmed by photographic tests. Both lenses have nearly flat rear surfaces.

Then there's the Rikenon connection:

These two lenses look very similiar, but optically they are not identical: The rear surface of this Auto Revuenon is nearly flat, while the rear surface of the Auto Rikenon has a slight curvature. At infinity, this Auto Revuenon is better than the Auto Rikenon, but slightly inferior to the (newer) Auto Revuenon mentioned above.

Once seviced and fully functional again, I am pretty sure the newer Auto Revuenon with its "space age" focusing rubber grip will outperform both the Canon 1.2/50mm L as well as the Zeiss CY 1.4/50mm. It clearly outperforms lenses wuch as the Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm.

S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR mark is in the same spot with all these lenses except the Rikenon where it is closer to the 8 than the 4.

My Porst also has it closer to 4. I'm pretty sure the style the Porst shares with the Rikenon and the faux leather Revuenon is Cosina made. The one with the diamond focus mark is Tomioka made. (even though there are Cosina style lenses with Tomioka branding. I think that is explained by Cosina starting to make Tomioka designed lenses when Tomioka stepped out of consumer glass and went industrial They used the brand for a while in a period of transition just like OM-system is still using Olympus).

My Porst Color reflex:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the style the Porst shares with the Rikenon and the faux leather Revuenon is Cosina made. The one with the diamond focus mark is Tomioka made. (even though there are Cosina style lenses with Tomioka branding.

I have read that Tomioka made lenses have feet marks over meters... The third maker was Sankor (more conical shape of the lens).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ft over meters or the other way around probably has more to do with the intended market than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The IR mark is in the same spot with all these lenses except the Rikenon where it is closer to the 8 than the 4.

My Porst also has it closer to 4. I'm pretty sure the style the Porst shares with the Rikenon and the faux leather Revuenon is Cosina made. The one with the diamond focus mark is Tomioka made.

Thank you for this information! To be honest: I wasn't really interested in getting these lenses; they just "came" here either as gift or as a part of a lot. I never did get into the "Tomioka-Mania", but if my "space age" Auto Revuenon 1.4/55 really is a Tomioka, I might start to get interested ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stephan! Can you expand on the concept of outperforming the CY 1.4/50mm Zeiss. I am specially interested in how these both lenses compare.

Thanks.
Pablo.

stevemark wrote:

Once seviced and fully functional again, I am pretty sure the newer Auto Revuenon with its "space age" focusing rubber grip will outperform both the Canon 1.2/50mm L as well as the Zeiss CY 1.4/50mm. It clearly outperforms lenses wuch as the Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm.

S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet lore says that the 55/1.4 Tomioka is a Japanese version of the Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 55mm 1/1.4. This came out of the cooperation between Zeiss and Yashica (who owned Tomioka and in fact Tomioka probably lives on today as the optics division of Kyocera (acquired Yashica in 83)).

Here is a comparison between Pancolar, Rikenon and Takumar. (but sadly the Rikenon seems to be a bit different so it doesn't say al lot even though bokeh looks similar. The Pancolar does have a clearly larger front element than the other ones so it is not a 1:1 copy if it is a true story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Internet lore says that the 55/1.4 Tomioka is a Japanese version of the Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 55mm 1/1.4. This came out of the cooperation between Zeiss and Yashica (who owned Tomioka and in fact Tomioka probably lives on today as the optics division of Kyocera (acquired Yashica in 83)).

Well, that's the Internet where a lot of nonsense is spread and repeated all over. Please note that cooperation was active between Carl Zeiss Oberkochen (RFA) and Yashica, Carl Zeiss Jena (RDA) actually had nothing to do with that so that Pancolar part is pure fiction Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is a bitch indeed. There is a Diagram for the Porst 55/1.4 on allphotolenses. It is a 7/6 design. The Pancolar is a 7/5 design. But is it really 7/6?

The diagram is the same one as the Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 from Pentaxforums. They just ripped it... So is it an 7/6 or a 7/5? I guess i'll have to take my Porst apart :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting video comparison between a Chinon Tomioka and Cosinon 55/1.4 Clearly different lens mechanics, but nothing definitive about the optics:

https://youtu.be/86zqNQJTNy4

and here is an example of a Tomioka branded revuenon that clearly has the Cosina design (lollipop, silver mount part front facing aperture blades) Compare it with the Cosina in the video.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/fotocamera-s-analoog/m1795634389-tomioka-revuenon-55mm-f1-4-m42-mount