Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 55mm 1:1.7 - Who made it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 55mm 1:1.7 - Who made it? Reply with quote

Simple question
Does anybody know who made this piece?
Any idea?
It's "made in Japan"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for Chinon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grip is reminiscent of the Cosina made Vivitar 19/3.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomioka optics. Body Chinon. If grip can be found also on COSINAs as suggested by Graham, maybe there was a universal grip supplier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure i've seen that same grip on some minoltas also

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens in Chinon F1.7 and yes Tomioko optics, thats the lens that creates watecoulours with the Bokeh
One of my favourite lenses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Are there any evidence of Tomioka relationship?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Interesting... Are there any evidence of Tomioka relationship?

This discussion has been ongoing for years, and as far as I'm aware, there is no hard and fast proof.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well story is nearly identical to 1.4/55mm. Though I couldn't find native Tomioka branded 1.7/55mm which is somehow strange.

I am posting those images with permission from author:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Well story is nearly identical to 1.4/55mm. Though I couldn't find native Tomioka branded 1.7/55mm which is somehow strange.

Tomioka made Yashica and Mamiya (and may be others) 55mm f1.8 lenses. It doesn't look similar to this f1.7 lens.

I see only focus grip similarity on these posted images. There are also at least 2 other grip variations of this f1.7 lens that I never saw on anything that can be assosiated to Tomioka. This specific grip style can be found on many other Chinon lenses and I don't think it is related to Tomioka.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might first list who did produced M42 1.7/55mm, 1.7/50mm and both 1.8/50(55)mm at the time in Japan?
I mean manufacturers not distributors. And skipping Pentax. Do we dare to demystify Tomioka?

Here my contenders:

Which could we eliminate as optics producer:

Tomioka
CHINON
Cosinon
Yashica
Mamiya
Ricoh
Fujinon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
We might first list who did produced M42 1.7/55mm, 1.7/50mm and both 1.8/50(55)mm at the time in Japan?
I mean manufacturers not distributors. And skipping Pentax. Do we dare to demystify Tomioka?

Here my contenders:

Tomioka
CHINON
Cosinon
Yashica
Mamiya
Ricoh
Fujinon

Nice collection. From your list IMHO only Tomioka, Cosina and Fuji has produced lenses (I mean for 35 mm cameras). Don't think this helps us too much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all been said, but sometimes a picture or two spells it out more easily.
Revuenon 55mm f1.7 = Chinon 55mm f1.7
Apart from the focusing grips and name plates, the two are identical:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Tomioka
CHINON
Cosinon
Yashica
Mamiya
Ricoh
Fujinon

Nice collection. From your list IMHO only Tomioka, Cosina and Fuji has produced lenses (I mean for 35 mm cameras). Don't think this helps us too much.

Mamiya produced the entire SX lineup. It even produced for other manufacturers such as Rollei (the Rolleinar MC series are known to be rebadged Mamiya SX lenses). In addition, Mamiya had a number of weird, totally incompatible mounts for which it also made its own lenses.

Yashica had its very own lens production facilities long before it was acquired by Kyocera. Its DS, DS-M, DX lineups, and then the Yashica ML lenses were made in-house; the later ML 'c' lenses are supposedly made by Cosina though.

Ricoh remains a bit of a mystery to me. Their M42 lenses did look similar to other makers', but some of their later Rikenon XR and Rikenon P designs are unique (with multiple exceptions, e.g. the Rikenon 16mm fisheye being made by Sigma, 200/4 and 28/3.5 being rebadged Pentax M lenses, and 104/2.8 being a Kiron). I handled a lot of 50 and 55mm 1.4 lenses, and Rikenon XR as well as Rikenon P 50/1.4 have no resemblance to other makers' fast fifties. To make things more interesting, Ricoh was rebadging some of its cameras and lenses for Sears (while Sears sourced some other lenses for P/K mount from other companies; e.g. Korean-made 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 Macro lenses).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Mamiya produced the entire SX lineup. It even produced for other manufacturers such as Rollei (the Rolleinar MC series are known to be rebadged Mamiya SX lenses). In addition, Mamiya had a number of weird, totally incompatible mounts for which it also made its own lenses.

Yashica had its very own lens production facilities long before it was acquired by Kyocera. Its DS, DS-M, DX lineups, and then the Yashica ML lenses were made in-house; the later ML 'c' lenses are supposedly made by Cosina though.

Ricoh remains a bit of a mystery to me. Their M42 lenses did look similar to other makers', but some of their later Rikenon XR and Rikenon P designs are unique (with multiple exceptions, e.g. the Rikenon 16mm fisheye being made by Sigma, 200/4 and 28/3.5 being rebadged Pentax M lenses, and 104/2.8 being a Kiron). I handled a lot of 50 and 55mm 1.4 lenses, and Rikenon XR as well as Rikenon P 50/1.4 have no resemblance to other makers' fast fifties. To make things more interesting, Ricoh was rebadging some of its cameras and lenses for Sears (while Sears sourced some other lenses for P/K mount from other companies; e.g. Korean-made 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 Macro lenses).

Well put. I would only dispute that later Yashica ML 'c' lenses are supposedly made by Cosina. I am convinced "c" on 2.8/135mm stands for compact. But i would speculate both Yashica ML 135mm versions are made by Tokina. I've comapred with RMC Tokina 2.8/135mm. Cosina lenses of that age are completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

Some Mamiya SX lenses seem to be direct successors of previous line of "plain" M42 mount lenses that were made by other makers. There are Sears SX lenses which are similar to Mamiya SX lenses - why would Mamiya produce lenses for Sears?

aoleg wrote:

Yashica didn't make its own in-house lenses until Tomioka acquisition. Though technically after this acquisition you can say these lenses were made by Yashica they were actually made by Tomioka. I've meant the actual maker, not the brand.

aoleg wrote:

IMO it is were unlikely that Ricoh made those very few lenses by itself while purchasing so many lenses from other makers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya made 35mm lenses, the CS, E and EF rages are all definitely made by Mamiya.

I hate these threads, so much speculation and opinion presented as fact.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Mamiya made 35mm lenses, the CS, E and EF rages are all definitely made by Mamiya.

Do you have a proof that Mamiya itself made those lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Why don't you email Mamiya and ask them? Do some research instead of endless speculation. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Why don't you email Mamiya and ask them? Do some research instead of endless speculation. Wink

I asked you. You have written this as a fact so either you have a proof of your words or you speculate by yourself. I have nothing against speculations but a person who speculates by himself and blames others for this is nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Immediately following WWII, Mamiya faced many production problems. Shutters and lenses were in short supply. Many manufacturers began to make their own, to meet demand. Unable to buy a sufficient supply of shutters and lenses from Chiyoda, their former supplier, Mamiya purchased a factory in Setagaya (Tokyo) to manufacture shutters and lenses for themselves.

It was this Mamiya Setagaya factory (later called Setagaya Koki) that originated the Sekor lens name. (Note: for a short time in the late 40s, Mamiya also bought lenses from Olympus Optical).

Mamiya made their own lenses, both 35mm and medium format. Full production records don't exist to prove exactly which lenses were bought in from outside suppliers, but the bulk of Mamiya branded lenses came out of their own factory. The 60mm macro is probably made by Tomioka, but that's one of the few that weren't made by Mamiya themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Quote:
Immediately following WWII, Mamiya faced many production problems. Shutters and lenses were in short supply. Many manufacturers began to make their own, to meet demand. Unable to buy a sufficient supply of shutters and lenses from Chiyoda, their former supplier, Mamiya purchased a factory in Setagaya (Tokyo) to manufacture shutters and lenses for themselves.

It was this Mamiya Setagaya factory (later called Setagaya Koki) that originated the Sekor lens name. (Note: for a short time in the late 40s, Mamiya also bought lenses from Olympus Optical).

Mamiya made their own lenses, both 35mm and medium format. Full production records don't exist to prove exactly which lenses were bought in from outside suppliers, but the bulk of Mamiya branded lenses came out of their own factory. The 60mm macro is probably made by Tomioka, but that's one of the few that weren't made by Mamiya themselves.

The M42mm non-SX line is probably entirely made by other makers: 28mm was for sure made by Tokina, various 50mm probably by Tomioka, 55mm 1.4 by Tomioka or who ever made those lenses, 60mm by Tomioka, 135mm and 200mm probably by Tokina.

Most SX lenses are clear successors of the previous non-SX line. Later lines with proprietary Mamiya mounts are more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation....

Go do some research, produce some facts then you might have something worth saying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw. this Revuenon was not very good, only average, especially wide open it was inferior to most all the other 50 1.7 lenses I had. Stopped down it did well but only average.

My big toe says it was made by Chinon.

I don't get what's the fuzz/myth about Tomioka. I had a few Tomioka lenses and a few which where supposed to be Tomioka lenses and I couldn't see anything special on all of them. All were average but generally not as good as Contax, Rollei, Minolta, Leitz, Nikon,... counterparts. Maybe I did miss their legendary lenses but until now I can't see anything special on Tomioka. Where did this myth started?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Chinon didn't make lenses themselves.