Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

auto Makinon 135mm 2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: auto Makinon 135mm 2.8 Macro Reply with quote

I got this lens in PK mount last sunday, mint condition.

It's a full metal built multi-coated lens, probably not a killer one but I can't test it right now as I don't have any PK to EOS not Pentax baillonnette body.

I will give it to my brother and his K10D. More to come soon !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward you result cheap lens always exciting might be a hidden diamond?! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered about the quality of those lenses, since you see them quite often on ebay, but never had the courage to buy one myself.

Let us know how it is Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same lens than :

Click here to see on Ebay

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is the most eccentric 135mm I've met. It has a dedicated upper ring for "macro" option going up to 1:4.5.

Opinions sound very positive and samples look good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
This lens is the most eccentric 135mm I've met. It has a dedicated upper ring for "macro" option going up to 1:4.5.

Opinions sound very positive and samples look good.

If you're looking for "character", the Makinon might be perfectly fitting. Among the "excentric" 135 mm lenses, I would like to add the older Sigma 135 mm f/2.8 lenses with "Panfocus" (closes aperture to f/64 in order to obtain "maximum" depth of field" or "System focusing" (moves first groop independently of the other elements in order to reach close focusing).

According to my experience , the two Sigma lenses are much better than the Makinon lens eventhough both are lagging behind most other 135 mm in terms of optical performance. The Makinon has poor mechanics : the front lens elements are "thrown in as a pack" which is fixed with a single retainer ring so centering is random at best. Regarding the optics, IQ is fair at infinity and downright abysmal using the close focusing helicoid - spherical aberration explodes, making the images soft and foggy.

While I've sold the three samples of the Makinon I've had up to now, I'm still keeping one sample of the Sigma System Focusing lens around since the second helicoid allows to change the impact of spherical aberration and thus to control the rendering of the out of focus regions of the image in about the the same manner as the DC Nikkor lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds interesting! Thank you for sharing your observations.

By chance, do you have some sample shots?