Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ATX zoom in need of TLC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: ATX zoom in need of TLC Reply with quote

This Tokina ATX zoom

Click here to see on Ebay

appears to be in OK (but not great) shape. Still, one cannot turn up one's nose at an ATX lens.

Question is, can this lens be repaired?

Resolves itself into another question:

Does anyone know whether this lens is glued together? Cause if it is, disassembly is likely to be highly problematic and not worth taking a risk.

I have a pile of "glued together" lenses already. They are a real PITA. I don't need another such lens, ATX or otherwise!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would leave it. This lens appears frequently on ebay and for very little money. I have one and it is equally as good as my Minolta MD 3.5/35-70mm macro.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two one touch zooms jam on me, a Tamron and a Vivitar, and they were both impossible to dismantle because of the fault that was jamming them. I sacrificed both lenses in the quest to find out what was wrong. And it was the same thing on both.
The movement of the zoom + focus sleeve is governed by a series of tracks on the inner body, and in the tracks run guides which are tiny screws with plastic / nylon rollers to make the movement smooth. On both lenses a screw / roller had come out and was jammed in the mechanism and no amount of dismantling could get them out.
Both of these lenses had exhibited the same feel of 'slight sticking' when changing direction on the zoom, I guess they were giving notice that a screw was coming loose.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks, guys. That's a lot of good and helpful information there!

I'm remaining clear of this lens, ATX or not. Better to devote the money to more prospective territory!!!