Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Astronar 135 f:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Astronar 135 f:3.5 Reply with quote

Hi All
I have come across an unusual little lens, not much about it on the internet. It is branded Astronar & is 135mm f:3.5 16 aperture blades with a threaded mount. The mount is very close to m42 but has a slightly finer thread? In fact it will screw into my m42 adapter by a few turns but then stops. Any ideas as to what I need to adapt this to E-mount & any feedback on this lens would be great?

Thanks Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Astronar 135 f:3.5 Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Hi All
I have come across an unusual little lens, not much about it on the internet. It is branded Astronar & is 135mm f:3.5 16 aperture blades with a threaded mount. The mount is very close to m42 but has a slightly finer thread? In fact it will screw into my m42 adapter by a few turns but then stops. Any ideas as to what I need to adapt this to E-mount & any feedback on this lens would be great?

Thanks Andrew

Could be a T mount (42mm x 0.75 pitch). Regular M42 is 42mm x 1mm pitch. Welcome to the world of T mount and preset lenses! You can easily buy a T to NEX adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most certainly a T-mount -this is a universal mount system, still in use, that has adapters that screw on to that M42x.75 thread.

There are T mount adapters for every camera mount under the sun.

Astranar was an importers brand used by Sterling Howard of Yonkers, NY

Very likely made by Kawakami (Kawanon) as there are many of these seen as Astranar or other Sterling Howard brands, but there are others too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just ordered the T mount to e-mount adapter, I have managed a few shots with the lens attatched to a m42 (Just a few threads & it stops) the pictures look really promising it looks like it will be a good find.
Pics are very sharp & the out of focus areas look great. Looking forward to the adapter so I can test it properly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
I have just ordered the T mount to e-mount adapter, I have managed a few shots with the lens attatched to a m42 (Just a few threads & it stops) the pictures look really promising it looks like it will be a good find.
Pics are very sharp & the out of focus areas look great. Looking forward to the adapter so I can test it properly.

Usually you can't go wrong with 135mm lenses. I've recently collected quite a few. The T mount adapter has an inner ring which can rotate when loosing the three tiny set screws. This way, you can adjust the lens so that the aperture numbers are facing top.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
adonuff wrote:

Usually you can't go wrong with 135mm lenses. I've recently collected quite a few. The T mount adapter has an inner ring which can rotate when loosing the three tiny set screws. This way, you can adjust the lens so that the aperture numbers are facing top.

I think I am going to be very happy with this one, will try and find out a bit more about its history while I wait for the adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
adonuff wrote:

I think I am going to be very happy with this one, will try and find out a bit more about its history while I wait for the adapter.

If there is an E at last of the serial number, it could be a Sankor made lens. Sankor had many such 135mm lenses rebanded, probably most of which are 135mm/2.8. Hopefully you can have a photo showing the front. Similar to this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-135mm-f3-5-lens-for-Mirrorless-DSLR-of-film-camera-Astronar/283022601781?hash=item41e5762e35:g:UNcAAOSwF25bAkOz

I am not sure if it is their earlier lenses, as later Sankor lenses seem to use Italic font for DOF scale, aperture numbers, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
adonuff wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
adonuff wrote:

If there is an E at last of the serial number, it could be a Sankor made lens. Sankor had many such 135mm lenses rebanded, probably most of which are 135mm/2.8. Hopefully you can have a photo showing the front. Similar to this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-135mm-f3-5-lens-for-Mirrorless-DSLR-of-film-camera-Astronar/283022601781?hash=item41e5762e35:g:UNcAAOSwF25bAkOz

I am not sure if it is their earlier lenses, as later Sankor lenses seem to use Italic font for DOF scale, aperture numbers, etc.

Thanks, it is exactly the same as the E-Bay link, my serial no is a bit higer starting with 78xxxxxE. One thing I really like is the size of the lens, it is only about 100mm long the smallest 135 I own so far. I will have a look at Sankor lenses to see what more I can find out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my first preset, a 135mm f/2.8, I had the same feeling. The lens is so small but a good fit to mirrorless cameras. I have yet tried a lot of Sankor lenses. This is the name I heard from this forum then started to notice it. Enjoy your 135mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
When I got my first preset, a 135mm f/2.8, I had the same feeling. The lens is so small but a good fit to mirrorless cameras. I have yet tried a lot of Sankor lenses. This is the name I heard from this forum then started to notice it. Enjoy your 135mm.

I will post some pics soon as the adapter turns up, I think it will get a lot of use due to the small size alone, it will easily fit in my pocket it is about half the size of my other 135’s. The shots I got with it just sitting in my m42 adapter looked really sharp warm colours & interesting backgrounds.