Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Pentax 150mm 4/0 (M42 mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Asahi Pentax 150mm 4/0 (M42 mount) Reply with quote

Let me start by saying that I am not very familiar with Pentax lenses and the various naming conventions, so excuse my mistakes in that regard.

I am looking at a Pentax 150mm 4.0 in M42 mount. The front ring says: "Asahi Opt. Co. Japan Super-Multi-Coated Takumar" which according to information I have found means it is the third version of this lens, and the last one in M42 mount.

https://lens-db.com/asahi-super-multi-coated-takumar-150mm-f4-1971/

Lens-db describes it as "Mod. M42". Will it work with a standard M42 adapter? The Novoflex adapter I use has a small ledge on the inside that keeps the aperture pin on the lens depressed, although it looks like this lens has a manual/auto switch so that shouldn't be a problem either way. What exactly is the modification to the M42 mount on this lens?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have:

1. Super-Takumar 1:4 / 150 -- M42, model I has 5/4 optics, 43740 stamped on Auto/Man switch. Early model I have glued rear dust cover; later model I have threaded rear dust covers.

2. Super-Takumar 1:4 / 150 -- M42, model II has 5/5 optics, 43741 stamped on Auto/Man switch.

3. Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:4 / 150 -- M42, 5/5 optics, 43742 stamped on Auto/Man switch.

4. SMC PENTAX 1:4 / 150 -- K-mount, 5/5 optics

The "Mod. M42" probably refers to the addition of the mechanical aperture-position linkage for communicating with Spotmatic ES and F cameras which provide full-aperture metering capability when these lenses are used. The linkage does not prevent usage with other M42 cameras or adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good lens (the 5/5 config) with almost no CA. Made this image with the PK mount version:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/55691955@N05/3Sv53s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

The "Mod. M42" probably refers to the addition of the mechanical aperture-position linkage for communicating with Spotmatic ES and F cameras which provide full-aperture metering capability when these lenses are used. The linkage does not prevent usage with other M42 cameras or adapters.

Thank you for explaining that Smile

caspert79 wrote:

Very good lens (the 5/5 config) with almost no CA. Made this image with the PK mount version:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/55691955@N05/3Sv53s

Nice picture!

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older Super-Takumar version.
It is a great lens
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Here we have:

1. Super-Takumar 1:4 / 150 -- M42, model I has 5/4 optics, 43740 stamped on Auto/Man switch. Early model I have glued rear dust cover; later model I have threaded rear dust covers.

2. Super-Takumar 1:4 / 150 -- M42, model II has 5/5 optics, 43741 stamped on Auto/Man switch.

3. Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:4 / 150 -- M42, 5/5 optics, 43742 stamped on Auto/Man switch.

according to Gerjan's book they are both 5/5. Version 2 has different optics in the two rear elements.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Here we have:

according to Gerjan's book they are both 5/5. Version 2 has different optics in the two rear elements.

Embarassed That's what I get for using the first edition of his book instead of the second edition. The first edition does show the correct 5/5 diagram, but typo in specifications list. Thanks for catching!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 150mm f/4.0 arrived today. So far I have only taken some of my usua; test pictures but my first impression is "WOW". This lens and I are going to be good friends Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on today:

Yes so I am lying here. what of it? by The lens profile, on Flickr

Duck in the middlekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pick that lens up and am REALLY enjoying it. Superb lens. Out of pure curiosity ( Wink ), can someone please compare the 5/5 version 150mm 4.0 with the M version 150mm 3.5? Judging by the diagrams on pentaxforums, while the optics are both 5/5, they are not the same.

Off topic: Yesterday I took delivery of an SMC Pentax-M 120mm 2.8 I was curious about the unusual focal length lens. Another winner in my book.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumars are in general brilliant lenses, and the Super-Multi-Coated (S-M-C) raely dissapoint

S-M-C takumar have a mechanical linkage for the electro spotamitcs (ES) and the SP-F that allowed for open-light metering. This in 1971 was very cool.
You can see that these are M42x1 lenses and will fit in almost any other camera but they have a few parts in th rear which are different:

SMC-Lenses-Mechanism
1. Diaphragm pin (common to all M42x1 lenses)
2. Cam that passes aperture information to camera
3. Index point for the aperture system
4. Pin to prevent moving the Auto/Man lever

Have fun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Pentax-m lenses up to 150mm are very nice. I don't like the 200mm very much. The Pentax-m* 300mm F4 is very good again.

The 120mm and 150mm are both very good lenses. It took me longest to find the 120mm at a reasonable price. Compared to the Takumar's they are shorter and lighter and in the case of the 150mm also a half stop brighter.

This is my super-takumar 150 version 2:

and this the Pentax-m 150 (taken years apart so not a direct comparison)