Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Kogaku Tele-Takumar Repair Attempt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Asahi Kogaku Tele-Takumar Repair Attempt Reply with quote

I have the above lens for a few months now, having purchased it knowing there was a problem with the aperture blades. According to the seller, the aperture was stuck wide-open because the blades were stuck together.

Am also in the very fortunate position of having found a 100% working copy of this lens for a great price, so decided that I'd take the non-functioning one apart today and have a go at 'unsticking' the blades. My logic being that I had a working model from which to take instruction if needed...

Here's the lens when I removed the first part of the preset aperture selector - getting at the diaphragm to repair the blades was going to be relatively easy after all...

...or maybe not. Well, not with just one blade anyway Confused

If I could get my hands on the butcher that took this lens apart before...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there's just one blade in the lens? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Wow, there's just one blade in the lens? Shocked

Yep - this is the 135mm, not the 100mm we spoke about last week though.

Whilst it's highly unlikely I'll ever get the remaining blades, the glass is in great condition in case any harm ever befalls the working lens Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stupid a* holes... Unfortunately it's getting harder to find lenses hat have not been fiddled with. But at least you now have a source for spare parts, something I don't have Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Some stupid a* holes... Unfortunately it's getting harder to find lenses hat have not been fiddled with. But at least you now have a source for spare parts, something I don't have Wink

Peter, if you need any parts from this lens, just let me know and they're yours. Even the one blade if it's of any use to you!!! I don't really intend to damage the other lens, so all you need do is ask Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a nice gesture! Unfortunately (for me Wink) I have a well-working example. But whenever that changes I know who to ask for parts... Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Asahi Kogaku Tele-Takumar Repair Attempt Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
...or maybe not. Well, not with just one blade anyway Confused

So when can we expect the bokeh test shots? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it comes from the minimalist train of thought...one blade,next comes one glass element... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could do your own aperture with a strong black paper or something else, it would stuck the aperture at a fixed f/stop, but you can have the shape of the aperture you want Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Maybe you could do your own aperture with a strong black paper or something else, it would stuck the aperture at a fixed f/stop, but you can have the shape of the aperture you want Wink

Good idea Sylvain - I just found some plastic Waterhouse Stops in a camera bag that contained a camera purchase, and immediately though of using them on the Tele-Takumar. Thanks for the tip Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about trying to find a well-used pre-set 135mm f/3.5 Takumar (the black & chrome one)? Maybe the blades from that type of lens can be used.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
What about trying to find a well-used pre-set 135mm f/3.5 Takumar (the black & chrome one)? Maybe the blades from that type of lens can be used.

I'll take a look at the blade shape and size of that lens at the weekend and, if usable, will go on the hunt - thanks Peter Wink