Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argus Cintar on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Argus Cintar on NEX Reply with quote

While waiting for a bunch of adapters for my NEX I thought I'd have a play. I read elsewhere on this forum that someone wants to use an Argus Cintar 50mm f3.5 lens on his NEX. Well I've both of them. First, an adapter:

I needed something to hold the lens mount tightly as the focus is very stiff. I decided an old soft plastic binocular lenscap would be good, so I cut a hole about 32mm diameter in it and pushed/screwed the thread into it.

Next mounting it on the camera. I have no adapters yet so I couldn't modify one of those. I do however have lengths of metal tube. I selected one about 60mm wide and 22mm long. Almost the same width as the silver lens mount on my NEX. I filed a 2mm by 2mm slot to acommodate the locking pin so the tube sat neatly on the lens mount. I attached the tube by using some stretchy electricians tape round both the camera mount and tube.

I shaved off the small flange from around the lens cap and it fitted nicely, and securely, into the tube. I set the lens to infinity and looked through the viewfinder. It was almost spot on! I adjusted the fit and levelled out the lens. Now to test it. It's been a rotten misty day today but I went out and took a few shots outside. The lens was nice and secure in its adapter and focused easily, the soft rubbery plastic of the lenscap gripping the lens mount and the tube nicely.

Here is a straight photo with the lens wide open. I'm not sure if the lack of contrast is due to the lens or the day... The sky's a little flary.

and a couple more with the contrast and saturation adjusted.

crop of pic 2, its a bit soft but at the equivalent of a 10 x 15 inch print it's not so bad. (25cm by 38cm)

I'm going to do some portraits when my daughter visits, we'll see how it performs then.

In all I'm happy to use the lens. I'll make a new adapter when I get my E-mount reversing rings.

edit: The lack of contrast could be due to light leaks through the white tape and the tube or the lenscap and the tube.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for fungus or haze in the lens. These should give better results than what you are seeing.
Also, they really require hoods.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Luisalegria said, if the lost of contrast and resolution is there, should be over all the image not only at the borders, I guess.

So seems to be haze. Perhaps the fungus may affect more the borders than the center.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I took the lens off I spotted a pinhead size fungus right at the periphery of the lens. That ought no to cause such lack of contrast. I agree about the lens hood though.*

Looking at the Argus forums and flickr, this is the way the lens renders apparently. I think I could have focused better on the house photos. These were the first three photos taken on my Nex5 so I must get used to the way it handles.

* Anyone know what filter size the camera uses?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

The camera doesn't use filters, the lens does though. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, that's the sort of quality I was expecting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used these cameras for many years.
The results on both color and bw film always have excellent contrast and little to no fogging effect visible here.
The lens also tends to be quite sharp.
Another member here also did a mount on a Canon with fine results. I suspect the lens in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

The camera doesn't use filters, the lens does though. Smile

...size anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an odd size, a bit over 17mm if I recall correctly.

Back in those days filter adapters were made for them for Series V

I have a couple of these that I have used with series V hoods.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of photos, first the fungus. The pinhead spot at 7 o'clock, the rest is just dust. This much fungus won't cause lack of contrast.I've seen other photos taken with the C and all have this soft flat contrast quality. I like it.

Fungus

a couple of shots. The one on the left with my Nikon and kit lens at about 50mm and f8, straight flash and the right with the Cintar at f8

100% crops, the Nikon on the left and the Cintar with the original at the top and levels adjust below it.

I've learned how to use focus peaking now and its a lot easier!!

I've made a more permanent mount for the Cintar and the lens flange is held in place with a couple of spots of hot glue allowing me to focus it without rotating the lens in it's adapter. Of course It can be removed anytime and replaced on the Argus.

I'm going out with this combination later in the week when I have time off work and there's some daylight left!

I'm also going to try underexposing about half a stop, that may work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 19mm

Sorry about that.

Not easy to find an adapter.
Look in Ebay for argus hoods or filters.
Note that there are also slip-on versions, larger ones that use Series VI accessories, but if you aren't careful these can easily fall off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its 19mm

Sorry about that.

Note that there are also slip-on versions, larger ones that use Series VI accessories, but if you aren't careful these can easily fall off.

Oh, no problem, Very Happy but thanks for the info. I've checked ebay there's a 20mm push on, but don't want to risk £10 and it won't fit.

I've thought about putting a filter ring on the adapter and using a normal (deep) hood. I'll try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Its 19mm

Sorry about that.

Oh, no problem, Very Happy but thanks for the info. I've checked ebay there's a 20mm push on, but don't want to risk £10 and it won't fit.

I've thought about putting a filter ring on the adapter and using a normal (deep) hood. I'll try

Duuuuhh you can't access the focusing when you do that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have used these cameras for many years.
The results on both color and bw film always have excellent contrast and little to no fogging effect visible here.
The lens also tends to be quite sharp.
Another member here also did a mount on a Canon with fine results. I suspect the lens in this case.

I had one of these mounted to my Oly EP2 a while back, with pretty good results. Fun little lens.