Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are Nikon AI-AIS-F adapters interchangeable?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Are Nikon AI-AIS-F adapters interchangeable? Reply with quote

I'm going to buy an adapter for my fuji.
The lens is a tamron adapt-all with nikon adapter.
For all my other Nikon lenses I always bought Nikon AIS adapters, but I'm wondering if AI and Nikon F will work as well.

There's also a AI-FX adapter, same thing?

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Fuji camera and adapters for Nikon lenses, which allow me to adapt Pre-AI, AI, AI-s and modern D and G lenses
If you plan to use modern G lenses, make sure the adapter has a mechanism to control the aperture, G lenses do not have an aperture ring.

N.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wolan

I guess the subject of my post was misleading. What I meant is this: can I use, say, a Nikon F adapter to mount a Nikon AIS Lens? And vice versa?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual nikon bayonet, the F mount, has remained unchanged. My experience with t-mounts and adaptall mounts is that there is never a problem with the fit of a nikon bayonet into an adapter. However there may be isues with the different generations of aperture connections, these tend to be most specifically with the mounting of old nikon lenses on Nikon dslr's etc. Ken Rockwells nikon pages are ones to consult, and this is my adaptall page:

http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/Adaptall/TamronAdaptallInfo.html#nikon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all Nikon F lenses since 59 with aperture ring - even Autofocus AF-D and elder Autofocus AF-S can be mounted with the same adaptor

(newer AF S, type G needs a special adapter to adjust aperture exactly as Wolan wrote, the newest E type lenses have only electronically controlled aperture, there might be a solution, I do not yet know)

Having a T mount or adaptall lens, I recomment to take the adapter camera to t mount or camera to adaptall, just to exclude another layer of misalignment

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
all Nikon F lenses since 59 with aperture ring - even Autofocus AF-D and elder Autofocus AF-S can be mounted with the same adaptor

(newer AF S, type G needs a special adapter to adjust aperture exactly as Wolan wrote, the newest E type lenses have only electronically controlled aperture, there might be a solution, I do not yet know)

Having a T mount or adaptall lens, I recomment to take the adapter camera to t mount or camera to adaptall, just to exclude another layer of misalignment

So, a Nikon F adapter can be used to with an AIS Nikon lens as well?
For instance, can I mount my Nikon 24mm 2.8 with any of these?
http://amzn.com/B01N7P521C
http://amzn.com/B01N7P5O5C

As for the extra layer, I took that into account the only reason why I would go with the Nikon extra layer is because the adapter comes with a tripod mount, which for heavy lenses is very handy, whereas the adaptall adapter doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
56 DIN wrote:

So, a Nikon F adapter can be used to with an AIS Nikon lens as well?
For instance, can I mount my Nikon 24mm 2.8 with any of these?
http://amzn.com/B01N7P521C
http://amzn.com/B01N7P5O5C

As for the extra layer, I took that into account the only reason why I would go with the Nikon extra layer is because the adapter comes with a tripod mount, which for heavy lenses is very handy, whereas the adaptall adapter doesn't.

Yes. Go ahead, do not worry. I had the same concerns.
Anyway..an adapter with a tripod foot for 12$??? I would rather stay away from it, it looks very flimsy.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:

Yes. Go ahead, do not worry.

+1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues mounting any of my Nikkor lenses(pre-AI, AI, & AIS), but I must put forward a warning, I tried to adapt an Adaptall lens with an aftermarket Adaptall F mount, it and my cheap F to EOS adapter must have both been out of spec enough to cause them to lock together, it took me multiple hours to get them apart.
So my quick test befor buying the lens turned in to full panic mode, I ended up removing the Adaptall mount and bringing it home over night to separate them.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the tips!

@ wolan: yeah, it could be not very sturdy although I need a Nikon adapter anyway, worst case scenario I won't use the tripod foot. I had a similar adapter in the past (not Nikon and from a different brand), quite cheap too and it ended up working pretty good. The lens, after all, is not super heavy and it will help especially to stabilize.