Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arches, Fort Barrancas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Arches, Fort Barrancas Reply with quote

This was one of the most challenging lighting conditions I have ever encountered. The range of EV's was very large. There was some detail outside of this arch, but I wanted to have that area go full white to obliterate it. Each of the arches was around 1 Zone different in EV. The foreground was very low in brightness from the rest of the image. One of the greatest advantages of medium format cameras is the ability to change backs. After much metering and re-metering with the Spotmeter. I decided on using N+2 development to "blow out" that area outside. All of that pre-exposure planning paid off. I put on an A16 back that I designated N+2. The exposure was around 1/15 second with the camera on a tripod.

Hasselblad 500CM, 60mm f/3.5 CF Distagon and T-MAX 100 film. Developed in D-76 1:1 @ 68 F. The negative was scanned with my Nikon Super CoolScan LS-8000. Essentially no post processing of the image was done, only a slight bump in contrast, which is usually necessary when scanning black and white negatives.

Last edited by NikonAIS on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like higher contrast, more deep black , but I also can imagine even from white to light gray this picture, it can be good with any kind of level of gray scale.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like higher contrast, more deep black , but I also can imagine even from white to light gray this picture, it can be good with any kind of level of gray scale.

Thanks Atilla, but I think with any higher contrast, many of the subtleties of shades would be lost, at least on a computer monitor which will always fall short of an actual printed image. Keep in mind that this is also a negative scan. The 16x20 image printed on grade 2 Oriental Seagull simply blows this image away!