Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ARAX Arsat Photex 2.8/35 Tilt-Shift 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: ARAX Arsat Photex 2.8/35 Tilt-Shift 35mm Reply with quote

Hi,
what do you think of this brand and this lens specifically?
Do you think it makes sense to use it on a modern Nikon high resolution camera?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of or seen this one, it must be rare, especially if it's for FF, what mount? Pictures?
If it is for med format then it's probably quite good and worth a try... actually it's worth a try no matter what the mount is, because I'm curious what it can do.
I wouldn't be surprised if a few members from the site would be interested in buying the lens if you don't.
Edit: Sounds like it's a Russian medium format lens, now that I did a 10 second search, I do remember hearing about it a few years ago when I was looking into a bellows with movements or stand alone TS lenses.
A couple short opinions here:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/arax-80mm-tilt-shift-lens-opinions.29450/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: ARAX Arsat Photex 2.8/35 Tilt-Shift 35mm Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.

I have one of those. The lens is based on a wide angle lens for 4.5x6 format made by Kiev Arsenal Works (Arsat).

It delivered good (not excellent) results on my Pentax APS-C cameras. When I tried it on the Sony A7's full-frame sensor, I was very disappointed by the results. With a small amount of shift, I couldn't get a sharp image except for a small circle in the center, even when stopping down to F/11 or F/16. Maybe it's due to the relatively thick sensor stack on the Sony cameras, or maybe the lens is simply not good enough to cover full-frame.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is for the Nikon F mount.
Arsat are lenses manufactured in the Ukraine I think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ARAX Arsat Photex 2.8/35 Tilt-Shift 35mm Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
wolan wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.

I have one of those. The lens is based on a wide angle lens for 4.5x6 format made by Kiev Arsenal Works (Arsat).
ItWhen I tried it on the Sony A7's full-frame sensor, I was very disappointed by the results. With a small amount of shift, I couldn't get a sharp image except for a small circle in the center, even when stopping down to F/11 or F/16. Maybe it's due to the relatively thick sensor stack on the Sony cameras, or maybe the lens is simply not good enough to cover full-frame.

Obviously the Arsat shift lens simply is not good enough. Using the Contax/Yashica Zeiss PC Distagon 2.8/35mm shift lens (also a vintage pre-digital lens) on the A7, I have no such issues. Fully shifted (11mm), images are usable at f2.8, good at f5.6 and excellent at f8 or f11.

Stephan