Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apo Lanthar test Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Optical diagrams for the SL APO lenses Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

I assume the pink elements are ED glass or somesuch.

YES, it is. Guess where the name "Lanthar" comes from??

Although I assume the SL lenses were not actually using radioactive lanthanum glass....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Optical diagrams for the SL APO lenses Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Although I assume the SL lenses were not actually using radioactive lanthanum glass....

Natural Lanthanum is composed of stable Lanthanum mixed with radioactive isotopes. Stable Lanthanum by itself is not radioactive. The first glasses made with Lanthanum contained traces of radioactive isotopes and other elements as well, because it was impossible until the late 1950s to obtain 100% pure stable Lanthanum. Nowadays, Lanthanum glass is made of 99.99% pure stable Lanthanum and therefore has no radioactivity at all.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there then a chance that the Apo-Lanthar 90 may be radioactive?
I have sold my SMC Takumar 1.4/50 for that reason. I'd hate to have to sell the Apo-Lanthar too, but if it's radioactive.... well, I don't want a radioactive lens in my bag or my closet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Is there then a chance that the Apo-Lanthar 90 may be radioactive?
I have sold my SMC Takumar 1.4/50 for that reason. I'd hate to have to sell the Apo-Lanthar too, but if it's radioactive.... well, I don't want a radioactive lens in my bag or my closet.

Orio,

It's very radioactive and dangerous. I can save you from the hazard this lens is - just send it to me, and I'll take care of radioactivity Smile Smile Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Optical diagrams for the SL APO lenses Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Nowadays, Lanthanum glass is made of 99.99% pure stable Lanthanum and therefore has no radioactivity at all.

OK, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent information on three outstanding lenses. I was surprised to
see this number of people who already have at least one of
these lenses. Shocked I enjoy lens reviews and general opinions
related to such quality lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sebastien, couldn't have put that better!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even old lanthanum lenses are much less radioactive, than thoriated lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus for the links..

Is there anyone who can help with suggesting stores in JAPAN where any of these lenses can be bought ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're low in aftermarket supply in Japan as well. Koji has kindly listed some stores you should visit when in Japan, here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlaender-sl-180mm-f-4-apo-lanthar-original-size-samples-t14183,start,15.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the prices continue to increase massively over the last few months due to high demand and nearly no supply.

I will have a CV 3.5/90mm for Nikon coming shortly btw.; the M42 version is already spoken for and on its way to a good friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the store links.

Quote:
I will have a CV 3.5/90mm for Nikon coming shortly btw.;

U mean for sale ? I thought u sold one already ..

My friend saw CV 125 samples on our site & keeps reminding me to find one for him every other week Razz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still kicking myself for not getting one when available new... and at sensible prices too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, I have another excellent one coming in Nikon mount, which will be sold most likely...so here comes your chance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: they are nice Reply with quote

Piotrek wrote:
I have all of them and have used for last two years.
They are all great optics, good contrast, sharp and have good coating.
Very good modern lenses with MF, and good construction - full metal.
Good point of 90 and 180 is that they are small.

On the other hand: propertiary hood, metal construction is easy to scratch or dent and I think that dust has easy access to inside ;(

And finally: 90 minimum apperture is f3.5 and 180 is f4. Even if they are sharp from begining, BOKEH is not so nice. Vivitar 90 Series 1 has nicer bokeh at f5.6 than Voigtlander 90 at f3.5 - it is my personal opinion.
Similar situation is with voigtlander 180 comparing to Leitz 180/2.8.

So if someone needs small and sharp lens - vls90 and vls180 are for you.

http://www.pbase.com/piotreks/vls90

http://www.pbase.com/piotreks/vls125

http://www.pbase.com/piotreks/vls180

Piotr: Your images are world-class. You have been making the Apo-Lanthars sing with beauty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the MTF - outstanding!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Klaus: Shocked on the MTF chart. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever seen the curves so consistently high... Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, only the A+++ lenses do achieve such performance,
it simply proves the stunning images this lens generates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height is remarkable, but even more remarkable is the flatness at the edges and the little difference between sagittal and tangential lines.
This means the lens has nearly absent field curvature and very minimal spherical aberration.
The lens does not enlarge like a real macro but it's edge performance is better than most (if not all) true macro lenses that I have seen.
It would be interesting to see the distortion graph.

One word of caution, we don't know if these are MTFs made on real production lenses (like Zeiss does) or theoretical MTFs that a computer calculated based on the lens designs (as most companies do).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Orio. I haven't seen anything like that for that lens for many months, before I just stumbled about that on a chinese site by coincidence. Most likely it is a computed MTF by rayetracing the theoretical design as most show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Most likely it is a computed MTF by rayetracing the theoretical design as most show.

Damn computers. They took the fun out of photography Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actually they made it happen! One of the first ZUSE computers (that should tell you sth) was given
by WILD to Mr Bertele, a Zuse 22 R to allow him to do his excessive lens design computations!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the real life, actual MTF tests are also very good. Just check these reviews:

http://www.slrlensreview.com/web/voigtlander-slr-lenses-132/telephoto-slr-lenses-136/366-voigtlander-apo-lanthar-90mm-f35-sl-lens-review.html

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/266-voigtlander-sl-90mm-f35-apo-lanthar-nikon-review--test-report?start=1

Even Mr. Erwin Puts, who is often accused of being partial to Leica has nice things to say about this lens:
Given the price of the Apo-Lanthar 90, this lens is a better choice than most second hand 90s from Leica on the market and is very close to the performance of the current 2.8/90, which is some act: the apo-lanthar is unbeatable in price/performance relation.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found MTF for the 125 macro at various magnification factors and distances - 1:1, 1:2, 1m and what I assume is infinity.
Source: http://www3.xitek.com/bingqiku/cosina/lens/news4-21.htm
Uploaded here too for posterity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Optical diagrams for the SL APO lenses Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
I assume the pink elements are ED glass or somesuch.

Yes. It means "extremely low dispersion glass"