Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone know what this is? (Elements glued in)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone know what this is? (Elements glued in)? Reply with quote

After discovering MF lenses I recently purchased a pentacon 135 2.8 preset but unfortunately im still waiting for an adapter in the post. Cosmetically the body is fine and I can't see any fungus/scratches etc.

When I first took off the front lens cap I was surprised to see that each element was attached to the barrel with a gold/yellow substance that looks like glue. I have never seen anything like it before (normally buy new) and it looks like the lens has been 'bodged' by a previous owner. I took some quick pictures with a Canon Powershot which you can see below.

I apologise for the quality but you get the idea Wink

As some of you have a considerable amount of experience with old/second-hand lenses I was wondering if you would like to share your opinion on the matter. It looks like someone has gone in there and really messed around with things and I wouldn't be surprised if an element was misalligned. When I first inspected the glass I noticed a finger print and smearing/cleaning marks which tell me the previous owner must be quite careless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't open a larger view open of this, so I can't see what you describe.

I don't think even Pentacon was gluing their lenses in place. If they really are glued in it could well have been the work of a previous owner.

At one time these lenses were being given away, so it was no big deal to mess with them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what this is? (Elements glued in)? Reply with quote

I've got exactly the same phenomena on my Pentacon 135mm MC. The lens itself looks like new, no signs of "messed up" by previous owner. So propably its glue.

goombles wrote:

When I first took off the front lens cap I was surprised to see that each element was attached to the barrel with a gold/yellow substance that looks like glue. I have never seen anything like it before (normally buy new) and it looks like the lens has been 'bodged' by a previous owner. I took some quick pictures with a Canon Powershot which you can see below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what this is? (Elements glued in)? Reply with quote

Gonzoo wrote:
I've got exactly the same phenomena on my Pentacon 135mm MC. The lens itself looks like new, no signs of "messed up" by previous owner. So propably its glue.

Yup, I have the same. So it seems to be normal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll confirm regarding the glue, highly unlikely we all had our lenses messed with by that same seller.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy looks the same too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon is well. It is normal for this lens.
Smile Greetings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as in my auto mc version too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are not clear... but what you may be looking at are the edges of the lens element against its retaining or spacer ring where the blackening material has deteriorated and flaked off ...

nothing to worry about.