Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samples Added: Super Canomatic R 85mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Samples Added: Super Canomatic R 85mm 1.8 Reply with quote

I picked up a Super Canomatic R 85/1.8 lens for a decent price but I haven't seen or received the lens yet. Google searches turn up little and it seems to be a reasonably rare lens. As per seller, the glass and aperture are good, however I think the lens will need some TLC.

All i could figure out is that it has dual aperture ring for auto and manual operation. Will this work on the regular FD/FL adapters for digital cameras?

I will appreciate if anyone who knows about this lens can provide any information ( or images Smile )

Thanks!

Last edited by starlights on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned something, as I thought they were a preset lens.
http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/004sgt
Quote:

Bill Salati , Apr 10, 2003; 11:43 a.m.
I have experience with all three Canon mounts. In chronological order; <p> R series. Super Canomatic lenses have two operating pins at the rear. The large protruding pin cocks the mechanism as the film is advanced. The small, nearly flush pin, releases the mechanism to stop down when the shutter is tripped and reopen as the mirror returns. If you remove a lens before advancing the film, the mechanism is not cocked and the lens will not operate if you remount it to the camera after the film has been advanced. You can cock the lens manually before remounting it. Canomatic lenses have an exterior lever for cocking the mechanism, R lenses are completely manual. These lenses do not operate automatically on FL and FD series cameras. Super-Canomatic lenses generally have two aperture rings. One for auto operation, one for manual operation. This allows marginally convenient operation on later cameras. Canon realized the limitations of this system and introduced the... <p> FL series. These lenses have a single operating pin at the rear. Canon reversed the operating direction of this pin so new lenses could be used on R series cameras without damage to lens or camera. R series lenses can also be used on FL series bodies without damage. FL lenses have a depth of field preview system to allow using the lenses in "preset mode" on R series bodies. On most FL series lenses this is an unmarked black ring adjacent to the aperture ring. On later FL lenses, there is a ring adjacent to the breech lock ring marked A-M. Again, Canon found themselves behind the curve and in 1971 introduced the... <p> FD series. These lenses have one diaphragm operating pin at the rear. It looks different but functions exactly as the pin on the FL lenses. These lenses operate on FL series cameras in the same manner as FL lenses. The other pins relate to coupling to the camera body for full aperture metering and auto-exposure operation. Most breech lock lenses have a "stop down lock" with a detent at the extreme of the stop down pin's travel or a small lever to lock it at that limit. Perhaps another nod to the past, this makes the diaphragm operation completely manual and allows for marginally convenient use on R series bodies. Still, some fumble fingered people found changing lenses difficult, so Canon introduced the... <p> New FD series. Operating features same as FD series though stop down lock was eliminated. These work fine on FL series cameras. They mount just fine on R series cameras but are nearly useless as only the lens' maximum aperture can be used. <p> Cautions!!! Don't mount the deep seating 19mm FL lens on any body that does not allow mirror lockup. You will damage the camera. The later, larger 19mm FL-R (Retrofocus) should be usable on most Canon manual focus SLRs. Don't mount the deep seating 38mm FL-P (Pellix/Pancake)lens on anything other than a Pellix or mirror lockup body. You will damage the camera. <p> Canon A series camera instruction books caution against using certain FL and R series lenses on A series cameras. I am not sure why. Some FL and R lenses have a stepped rear surface that may interfere with the f-stop setting lever or max aperture coupling pin in the cameras body. Perhaps someone else can fill us in on that.

It should mount on your adapter, I don't know if the open/close ring on the adapter will cause problems, I assume the adapters that move the lever as you mount the FL & FD lenses will cause problems, and finally, you will have to use the manual ring, if you have nFD lenses, I would get a separate adapter for them as they require the aperture pin to be engaged to permit aperture control, FL's have direct control, so don't need that system, and most FD's prior to the nFD lenses can lock the aperture lever in the engaged position by pushing the lever all the way(I've done this to all my FD lenses), I have then modified my adapter and removed the pin that engages the aperture lever, I did this so I can mount the few FL lenses that have the rear bulge, which did cause interference.

Last edited by Lightshow on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:46 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optically the same as the fabulous Canon LTM 1.8/85. The Canomatic has 8 aperture blades, the LTM 13.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lightshow - very helpful info!

Kuuan - wasn't the LTM version f 1.9?

Image quality looks pretty good for a lens of this vintage (Its a few years older than I am Razz )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rickymonkey/9661856027
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rickymonkey/9665082764

Image Credit: Ricky Lee on Flicker

Last edited by starlights on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starlights wrote:
Thanks Lightshow - very helpful info!

Kuuan - wasn't the LTM version f 1.9?

There are multiple versions, 85/2, 85/1.9, 85/1.5, & lastly a version of an 85/1.8, which could have been ported to the R version.
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/lens-s-series.html

Here's the two related pages.
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/s54.html the S mount 85/1.8
http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/r77.html The R mount 85/1.8
Both are 5e/4g design and marketed starting in 1961

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the 85/1.8 R lens is the same mechanically as the 100/2 R lens which I have. If so, there may be a minor problem as the 100/2 has a projection at the rear which contacts the "post" inside the FD adapters for mirrorless cameras. This prevents the bayonet engaging properly and means removing the post to allow it to mount. Or using the old Canon FD to Leica thread adapter AND a Leica adapter to whatever camera it's going on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I don't know if the 85/1.8 R lens is the same mechanically as the 100/2 R lens which I have. If so, there may be a minor problem as the 100/2 has a projection at the rear which contacts the "post" inside the FD adapters for mirrorless cameras. This prevents the bayonet engaging properly and means removing the post to allow it to mount. Or using the old Canon FD to Leica thread adapter AND a Leica adapter to whatever camera it's going on.

Thank you for the info.

Yes, I see two posts on the back on various Internet pictures, one thin and one stubby.

Being such a rare lens, my first preference would be to modify the adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this info on a old brochure hosted at Pacific Rim Cameras: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00016/00016.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Woooohooooo!! Reply with quote

I received the camera, 85 and 135 today - while opening the package, I didn't make it much past the 85 - cleaned it a bit externally (the glass is 98% clean with a few specs of dust inside) and put it straight onto my X-T1. Here are the 3 images that I shot

These are all quick jpegs from camera transferred to mobile (under 3mb version) and uploaded - no resizing or retouching whatsoever. Once I stop jumping up and down, and there is some time available, I may put this to test against the other two 85mm lens that I have. I have a feeling this one will tough to beat. I also noticed that the preset aperture ring (manual / second aperture ring) is clickless, so that's a huge bonus for cine use..

Quick shots, Indoor under jewelers type led ceiling light. Camera to subject distance 8', subject to background distance 6'.
I tried to focus on the white of the eye close to the camera position (right side when looking at the picture).

Click on images to see full size:

SNP_Canomatic Super R 85 1.8_11294700 by Sanjay Nayar, on Flickr
SNP_Canomatic Super R 85 2-5_11312600 by Sanjay Nayar, on Flickr
SNP_Canomatic Super R 85 4.0_11322500 by Sanjay Nayar, on Flickr
4.0 with slight tweak to levels (089) and cooling filter 80 (17%)
SNP_Canomatic Super R 85 4.0 Tweak_11322500 by Sanjay Nayar, on Flickr