Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody ever removed the front element of a mirror lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Anybody ever removed the front element of a mirror lens? Reply with quote

Greetings all,
Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience removing the front lens element on a mirror lens. It looks like it should be the easiest thing ever (just held in by front retaining ring).

Is it really that simple, or are there some "gotchas"?

It appears that a dab of superglue has been applied to the front retaining ring threads (two spots opposite each other). Do you just crack that when you turn the ring off, or do you apply a drop of acetone or something to soften it up first?

I just obtained a bargain Tamron SP 52BB (500mm f8 mirror lens) and it appears that there is a little haze on the back side of the front element. I took a chance that I could salvage it and paid $50.

Thanks in advance, for any words of wisdom.
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is easy, as you said - you should remove only one front ring.
Mirror lenses have very simple construction.When i replaced grease for my MTO-1000 i need to screw out only one screw, and I divided it into two parts.Thats all Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little haze will not impact picture quality I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful. Mirror lenses need perfect alignment, otherwise their performance deteriorates badly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The following link is a corner crop (actual pixels) of the upper righthand corner:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/5431812190/

of this photo:

before cleaning. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the front element (or, let's say, window) of the 6X7 1000/8 (180mm diameter), don't had any problems but this lens seems to have a quite odd construction (mirror seems to be in two glass element, as a sandwich)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who repairs optical equipment for the military tried to clean the fungus from my Canon FD 500 mirror lens, and he did clear most of it.

But he had to stop cleaning the mirror because the silver finish was so thin that there was a very real danger of damaging it.
Being a professional he tested a minute area and didn't go any further.

The lens is useable once again, even though there are still visible traces of fungus, but at least the mirror is still intact.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results like that I'd be inclined to leave it alone! Very Happy

Otherwise:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6X7 1000/8 is even more different : I could not touche the miror Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Here is an indoor shot taken with it (high iso)

The Welder (Test of Tamron SP 52BB) by ~Pixelsmithy, on Flickr

This shot was taken from approx. 41 meters (45 yds) away from the subject. The central obstruction of the mirror lens gives you semi-transparent edges of objects inside the plane of focus, as seen by the red toolbox that is only about 20 ft from the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that cleaning a mirror is much more risky than a lens. I have some experience cleaning a telescope mirrors. Your lens seems to perform very well, so I would leave it alone.

Javier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Mirror Reply with quote

I forget which is which, if I ever knew, but some probably most, mirror lenses are silvered on the surface and therefore cannot be "cleansed" except by damaging the silver.
The silver may be mercury. Dangerous ....

Just dust off?

Good results from a good lens!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The silver may be mercury. Dangerous .... "
I doubt it. The more modern version is aluminium. Owners of astronomical reflectors have been known to clean/polish mirrors and even re-coat silver mirrors if I remember correctly from my amateur telescope making days . You can google sites with advice on how to clean mirrors. Of course the the often quoted advice of if the lens takes OK pictures, don't mess around with it still applies.
bb2