Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any suggestion for completing my collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Any suggestion for completing my collection? Reply with quote

This is my collection, and I mainly used information from this forum for my decision. I want to pick the best quality MF lenses (or some unique ones) at each focal length, except overrated or overpriced ones. I love Soviet lenses and Pentax, and others such as Revuenon and Sears really surprised me, because I trusted the reviews here. Carl Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8 and Helios 44M-7, Loreo will be with me very soon. I used to have a good Helios 44-2 but I sold it. I will buy a chrome M39 version, along with the original 44M. The transparent lenses are the one I want to buy to complete my collection.
I will keep building my collection, so I want to have some good suggestion from you. Within this range, is that any other good lenses to have? I bought the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 with just $50 but I'm not very satisfied with the quality (the 50/1.7 is better) so I want to buy other 50/1.4 lens, maybe Revuenon, Chinon, Nikkor, or Sears. I can't decide which one to go with, they're quite expensive to me now Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very nice way to show your collection, congrats, and for the lenses too.
there is nothing wrong with the performance of the Pentax M 1.4/50 technically speaking, the alternatives you list or even any other 1.4/50 won't give you any real advantage. That said, for reasons which are hard to define I always have preferred the images that came from the S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 and my Pentax A 1.4/50 seems the sharpest of all 3 though they are supposed to have the same, or just minimally changed optical formula.
personally I would add a 24mm, the Olympus OM, Rokkor, Nikkor and Pentax f2.8/24mm I can recommend from own experience

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you define "unique"?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this is a very nice way to show your collection, congrats, and for the lenses too.
there is nothing wrong with the performance of the Pentax M 1.4/50 technically speaking, the alternatives you list or even any other 1.4/50 won't give you any real advantage. That said, for reasons which are hard to define I always have preferred the images that came from the S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 and my Pentax A 1.4/50 seems the sharpest of all 3 though they are supposed to have the same, or just minimally changed optical formula.
personally I would add a 24mm, the Olympus OM, Rokkor, Nikkor and Pentax f2.8/24mm I can recommend from own experience

Thank you Very Happy. The problem with my Pentax M 50/1.4 is my copy performs a bit weaker than Pentax M 50/1.7 at wide open. I will post my comparison later. Maybe it's just my copy. I want to have the SMC Takumar also, it's really well-known. You suggestion is nice, I heard about Rokkor and Pentax already. I saw a plenty of 28mm f/2.8 but not much 24mm, so I will notice them.

Quote:

The unique characteristics to me can be either bokeh (e.g. swirly bokeh of Helios), sharpness (at wide open and all the way down), or any unique feature in the design such as a lens with good coating or a tiny lenses such as Vega-11U or Loreo. The first priority is it should have acceptable or good IQ, then I'll consider other criteria.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Quote:

The unique characteristics to me can be either bokeh (e.g. swirly bokeh of Helios), sharpness (at wide open and all the way down), or any unique feature in the design such as a lens with good coating or a tiny lenses such as Vega-11U or Loreo. The first priority is it should have acceptable or good IQ, then I'll consider other criteria.

Well, this one will definitely give you unique bokeh:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I also found your post about this lens Surprised
It's so great, even the IQ is good too. I definitely want it. But quick search on ebay came up with some crazy price tags Laughing
How did you find this lens? Seems like it's very rare.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Wow, I also found your post about this lens Surprised
It's so great, even the IQ is good too. I definitely want it. But quick search on ebay came up with some crazy price tags Laughing
How did you find this lens? Seems like it's very rare.

It is rare, only around 7000 were made, according to some sources. I have two copies. One I found at a flea market in Ukraine, another one was purchased from a collector in Sweden. eBay prices are not that crazy for a rare lens like that - check eBay completed listings and you will see what people are actually paying for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is rare, only around 7000 were made, according to some sources. I have two copies. One I found at a flea market in Ukraine, another one was purchased from a collector in Sweden. eBay prices are not that crazy for a rare lens like that - check eBay completed listings and you will see what people are actually paying for them.

It's not affordable to me now but I will chase for it Twisted Evil