Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any reason why this combo shouldn't work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Any reason why this combo shouldn't work? Reply with quote

I've got myself a 200mm Telyt and visoflex housing. I'm looking for other lenses to go on the visoflex and cobbled together an adapter for my 500mm T2 fit mirror lens. Any reason why this lightweight but powerful combination wouldn't work?



PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the apparent disparity between a T2's flange focal and Visoflex II's it works really well. Adapter is a T2 ring (from a mount) and a LM male mount from a LM adapter. Drilled and screwed together.









PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Any 50's spy would have really liked that combo. Smile


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Nice!

Any 50's spy would have really liked that combo. Smile


Light and easy to use. The focus screen on the visoflex isnt easy, I've put a brighter one in but the central split image just won't work.

Any suggestions what may be a good screen to use?

I appear to be able to fit pretty much anything in it.


PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Nice!

Any 50's spy would have really liked that combo. Smile


Light and easy to use. The focus screen on the visoflex isnt easy, I've put a brighter one in but the central split image just won't work.

Any suggestions what may be a good screen to use?

I appear to be able to fit pretty much anything in it.


too slow lens? is the other side of the split just black?

I had a 300/5.6 that was just and just usable


PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split viewfinders do get very difficult to use with longer focal lengths. IIRC moving my eye around the viewfinder very slightly usually managed to get the dark side visible with my 300mm lens. The longer the focal length the more critical eye placement becomes.
I can't swear to it but I think I may have occasionally got it working with a 500mm f/8 mirror lens on my old Pentax ME, but perhaps it was just the microprisms.


PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Split viewfinders do get very difficult to use with longer focal lengths. IIRC moving my eye around the viewfinder very slightly usually managed to get the dark side visible with my 300mm lens. The longer the focal length the more critical eye placement becomes.
I can't swear to it but I think I may have occasionally got it working with a 500mm f/8 mirror lens on my old Pentax ME, but perhaps it was just the microprisms.


+1 Same experience with 300mm & longer on Spotmatic camera viewfinders. IMHO optical viewfinder is challenged longer FL on all cameras no matter what screen. Don't know about mirrorless.


PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
DConvert wrote:
Split viewfinders do get very difficult to use with longer focal lengths. IIRC moving my eye around the viewfinder very slightly usually managed to get the dark side visible with my 300mm lens. The longer the focal length the more critical eye placement becomes.
I can't swear to it but I think I may have occasionally got it working with a 500mm f/8 mirror lens on my old Pentax ME, but perhaps it was just the microprisms.


+1 Same experience with 300mm & longer on Spotmatic camera viewfinders. IMHO optical viewfinder is challenged longer FL on all cameras no matter what screen. Don't know about mirrorless.


There are other viewing screens that work better for long focal lengths on SLRs I've never changed from the cameras default - which was great on my Pentax film SLRs (even the auto110)
I gather rangefinder film cameras typically don't work at all well with focal lengths over 135mm, but digital mirrorless don't care at all about the focal length. Any focus aids work directly off the sensor I've used them with focal lengths up to 1000mm (and at 600mm with wavelengths only outside human perception - IR)
Of course focusing long lenses is always more tricky than wide lenses.


PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good results, indeed. That duck sample has some magic inside.


PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="philslizzy"]
kansalliskala wrote:

Any suggestions what may be a good screen to use?

I appear to be able to fit pretty much anything in it.


I've shot many a roll of film with slow mirrors, and cameras with split-image or microprism spot focusing screens were always a major annoyance. With any of my cameras that took interchangeable focusing screens, I always installed plain matte or ground glass screens.

It took me some time getting used to focusing with these screens, but with practice, I got it. I also bought an eyepiece magnifier to aid focusing, which I ended up using only some of the time. I found I needed it less and less as I got more and more used to the plain screens.

So, since you can use most anything, I'd determine the optimum thickness for the screen you want to use and then proceed from there. Because I'd be surprised if any focusing screen can be used. I'm thinking the screens for the Canon F-1 for example, which are about 1/4" (about 5mm) thick. And the Nikon F series screens are only somewhat thinner. Whereas screens for the Nikon FE/FE2 or the Canon AE-1 Program, for example, are a good deal thinner.


PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put the original one back on. It seems better. Plus I've had some a bit off-focus. The setup is compact and works well.