Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any Nikkor 55mm 3.5 Macro experts on here?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Any Nikkor 55mm 3.5 Macro experts on here? Reply with quote

One of my recent buys turned up this morning (sadly I had to head off to Evil or Very Mad work Evil or Very Mad so couldn't have a play). It's an AI'd Nikkor P Auto 55mm 3.5. Now from what I can tell from http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/micro/index.htm only the original preset version was 1:1 without an extension tube, but the scale on mine shows 1:1... I confess to being a little confused as to which version's which, and also when the number of elements changed...

If anyone has any detailed knowledge of this series, or any other suggested places to look I'd be grateful.

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scale on mine shows 1:1 if you have AI'd lens that means original one , just some expert convert to AI.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this source:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/micronikkor/55mmmicro.htm

Apparently the 55/3.5 micro only focuses to 1:2 without the PK13 extension tube. Above the distance marking (feet and meters) is another series of numbers, beginning with 1:10 and declining to 2, this is the magnification without the extension tube. You will occasionally find those tubes coming up on ebay.

The 55/2.8 was the first to go to 1:1 on its own.

patrickh

PS the 55/3.5 is renowned to be one of the sharpest lenses out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, if different perhaps yours 1:2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI, AI-S, and AI'd lenses take the PK13 tube. Pre-AI take the M2 tube, if memory serves.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot remember the dimensions of the PK13, but any extension tubes close to that length will give you the 1:1. PK13 is merely a tube.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe only the very early (and simple ) design of the Pe-AI nikkor P 55/3.5 was able to go to 1:1 on its own. Subsequent models up to the very last version of the AIS 55/2.8 also required an extension tube. Then they moved to the 60/2.8 AF which is also capable of 1:1 on its own. One characteristic of the whole line has been great sharpness, but I have certainly seen discussions where the 55/3.5 was nominated as the sharpest of them all.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I cannot remember the dimensions of the PK13, but any extension tubes close to that length will give you the 1:1. PK13 is merely a tube.

patrickh

PK13 is simply half of 55mm, 27.5mm to go to 1:1. I don't recall seeing
any of the Chinese extension tubes of that length, seems like one of them
was 25mm (for a 50 prime), which would get you close to 1:1 for the 55
micro-nikkor.

The above site listed is the most informative I've seen on micro-nikkors.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engraved markings on the side of the barrel of the 55/3.5 indicate the reproduction ratios when the lens is used WITH a 27.5mm extension tube. Reproduction ratios of the lens WITHOUT the tube are engraved in orange on the focus ring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - well I've just won a PK-13 for ?15 including shipping so that's 1:1 sorted. I'm awaiting a 105mm f4 for that I'll need the rarer and dearer PN11, so that might stay as a 1:2!

Thanks Richard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PN11 is a big tube with tripod mount built in (and AI) - I think the PK11 is a relatively short AI tube.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I've a low bid on the Canadian one Cool

That buy it now has me in tears too!