Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any news regarding the 5D mark III mirror clearance?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that solves that then. Weeee to more manual focus screens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the exposures be correct though? With the 5DII, 5D and 6D you can set the camera to specifically meter with the super-fine matte screen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Marzipan: Quite striking you found these instructions for changing the focus screen at www.focusingscreen.com.

Even though it may not be user servicable, as long as it is a servicable part, it can be exchanged... Wink

Currently I have a KatzEye fitted in my 40D, and it is a real pleasure to use. Since I am looking around a bit to upgrade the body to a FF, I asked KatzEye whether they would be supporting the 5D3 and the 6D. Especially because they also offer screens for the 7D I thought it would just be a matter of time.

Anyway, Rachael Katz replied that things are not so easy to accomplish, below an excerpt of her reply to my inquiry.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your inquiry. Based on information provided by Canon, the Canon EOS 6D uses the same Eg series of focusing screens used by the 5D MkII.

Unfortunately, we are not able to supply screens compatible to the Eg series at this time. Both the 6D and 5D MkII cameras that use the Eg screen are models we would very much like to support, but current technical limitations prevent us from making screens for these cameras and it is unknown if we will support them in the future or not. Work is ongoing, but no short term solution is apparent.

At present, the only solution I can recommend for those cameras is the optional Canon screen, type Eg-S, available from most photographic accessory retailers.

As for the 5D Mk III, while we have not completely ruled out support for that camera at this point, support for it is not looking too likely. We have not exhausted our study of that model, but given the difficulties we have had with the previous two 5D models, the odds are not good for our success with the Mark III.

I am mostly curious what may be the issue with the focusingscreen.com stuff? Did they do a better job than KatzEye? Or do their screens send the light meter astray? Any ideas on this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more update: Helios 44 silver m39 hits mirror at infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dok wrote:
Well, switching to FF has been a good surprise for me. I don't get many mirror hits.

I simply discovered one thing : there's a difference between focusing the lens to its maximum point (i.e. reaching its abutment) and focusing to infinity in real life condition, i.e. at a few hundred meters away. With the latter method I get very few hits.

I compare with this list :

- Pentax S-M-C Takumar 3.5 / 35 mm : too bad, I indeed hit the mirror a bit to much when I focus a bit too far (few hundred meters). In the end I personnaly wouldn't consider it to be usable easily.

- Pentax Super Takumar 3.5 / 28 mm : here it's different, as soon as I don't push the lens to its abutment, it's alright. Glad to be able to use to use this one

- Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 : OK

I may continue this list when I'm home.

- CZJ Pancolar 50mm f/1.8

Unfortunately, 5D 3 mirror hit occurs on my Helios 44-2 58mm F2 and 44M when focus to infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested a whole bunch of lenses with my new Mark III. The mirror clearance on the Mark III is more generous than Mark II.

Please refer to my site for more information: [url]abbynormallenses.com[/url] Every one of my lenses on my web page with the exception Takumar 35mm 3.5 works at infinity on my Mark III.