Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any love for the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 Ais ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Any love for the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 Ais ? Reply with quote

This has to be one of my 2 favourite Nikkor lenses, and i guess i may not be the only MF Nikkor user here. A fab lens indeed

Last edited by Fretless Pete on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEGENDARY lens. I shot the vast majority of my fashion work with it the first 10 years of my career. When I could afford it, I upgraded to the 105/1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the 1.8 and 2.5 compare, in your opinion ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless Pete wrote:

I had both , I vote for 2.5 , sharper , better colors, both are excellent lens, so I think you will find lovers to both.
Reason why I sold them , 2.5 common item if need I can buy it any time , 1.8 is more rare , but I love some lenses better .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would love to own one but it's going for silly prices on the bay.....so I'll have to stay with my Fujinon 100mm Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, and yes i'm happy enough with the 2.5 , so i really would not bother to seek out the 1.8

PS Excalibur

I had a 55mm EBC fujinon 1.8 and that was an extremely good lens !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless Pete wrote:

I found the 1.8 to be sharper with better bokeh. If you aren't using it to make a living, the 2.5 is a far better value. I may even get one again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, did I miss something or the background on the #1 is quite "strangely" post-processed ? Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is about the Nikkor 105mm, not post processing. Stick to the topic or perhaps start another thread elsewhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to offense you Confused , I was just surprised . But ok, I'll let the discussion go on , sry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence taken, but 2 topics in one thread gets a bit messy.

I'd be happy to discuss elsewhere though Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless Pete wrote:
This thread is about the Nikkor 105mm, not post processing. Stick to the topic or perhaps start another thread elsewhere

This is wasn't a polite answer, please avoid in future from similar reply. If you post your work in Digital Gallery , people can ask about post processing for sure. I did move your topic to Manual Focus Lenses, that is place for lens discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Erm, did I miss something or the background on the #1 is quite "strangely" post-processed ? Shocked

+1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there appears to be a circular discontinuity just to the right of the womans left arm there that doesnt seem right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

Agreed, Images are definitely processed in Adobe Photoshop CS5. It seems to me he used a little magic from LucisArt Plugin. I have used this Nikkor lens on my Canon EOS T3i 18MP Camera and images are very good dont get me wrong. He used a Nikon D300 12.3MP Camera and images came out almost like if they were HDR (High Dynamic Range) so obviously he edit them to the extreme.

So is there any love for your Nikkor lens or for your photo editing ??? Very Happy

Anyways, the pictures are simply beautifull, I love the look in that Dogs eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tested it, I was surprised to find out the 105/2.5 AI-S was good for astroimaging, meaning the lens is good at infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am maybe considering buying one. What are the differences between AI and AI-s versions?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some details on this site : http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Ais has built-in hood.

Ai has longer focus throw - 170 degrees vs. 140 for Ais.

Later Ais (see link) has newer (better ?) coatings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AI version is a little bit more massive, and the detachable hood makes the package substantially larger than the AIS version. But the optics are good in both versions. I've had a couple of copies of each (I currently have an AIS). They're both built to last and very beautiful lenses (to me at least). The first image is with an AI, the second with an AIS:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite lens. I like the color, contrast and the bokeh of this lens. And the size off course.
The color is better than the f1.8.

I've just sold it though. Need money to purchase other lens and I have too many 100mm Smile I keep the f1.8 for it's MFD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i dont have as much experience as you with both, i just own the 1.8, but from what ive seen, the 1.8 is sharper, but the 2.5 has better bokeh, the oof lights in the 1.8 tend to be a bit harsh, dunno about the colors, as i use a sigma Razz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, and btw looks theres one at ebay at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.

Is the Nikkor-P 2.5/105 a great lens too ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McCurry's most used lens (what he said personally when I asked him which lens has produced the highest amount of "made it to a book" photos (ao. the green-eyed Afghan girl is captured with it).

Enough said, wonderful signature and excellent technical quality. High production volumes and many different versions, I recommend CLA for any 105/2.5 bought on eBay.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total