Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any love for the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 Ais ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Andrew, you're right. That is the Nikonists' site. Smile
I looked at it since an hour to compare lenses available for me.
Finally, after reading Orio's comments and knowing my likings about sharpness and softness in the portrait domain, I just chose a Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5 made in the last 60s. It has the 5/3 formula. I chose it especially for this, compared to a later P and a K type with 5/4 formula.
My Nikkor collection grows : S.C 1.4/50, S.C 1.2/55, Q 3.5/135 and now P 2.5/105.
Just have to wait now. Smile

congratulations and good luck with your new lens...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, that ais 105mm f2.5 is somethings very special.
i owned bevor the af-dc 105mm and of course, both are legendary.
i think, the difference between the ais f1.8 and f2.5 are not so big. or is?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuJi wrote:
For me, that ais 105mm f2.5 is somethings very special.
i owned bevor the af-dc 105mm and of course, both are legendary.
i think, the difference between the ais f1.8 and f2.5 are not so big. or is?

105/2D DC is very very good already wide open, but price about 4-7 times more than what you can buy a 105/2.5 Ai-S for.

108/1.8 Ai-S costs about 2-3 times as much as the 105/2.5 which is definitely not worth paying, since the 105/1.8 is miserable at f/1.8...f/2. If your lens is in proper adjustments the 105/2.5 will wide open deliver the same that 105/1.8 does stopped down to f/2.8. There are several versions, the 105/2.5 Ai-S on a D800E will resolve more detail than the 36mpix sensor can at peak sharpness (f/5.6). One of the very rare lenses that cost 100-150e and deliver more detail than D800E/D810 sensor can resolve --> mandatory lens for any Nikon DSLR user imho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had non AI and AIS , I sold both , AIS version is perhaps best Nikkor what I did try , non AI was a bit like any other good ~100mm lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have FOUR versions of 105/2.5 : P, PC, AI and AIS , and will never sell any of them as well as 105/1.8 which is a jewel on its own ! The only Nikon 105mm I did sell was the AF 105/2.0 DC , because I preferred the 135/2.0 DC which is slightly better IMHO.

I'll post a few random pics from every version of 105/2.5 I own here if it's ok (to hijack it Smile )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Nikkor P (non-AI) 105mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

Nikkor P (non-AI) 105mm f/2.5

Taken many years ago in studio, Kodak SLR/n camera

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor PC 105mm f/2.5

Nikon D7000 body

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI 105mm f/2.5

NEX-5N body , first three pics taken with Canon500D macro lens attached

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AIS 105mm f/2.5

1,3 - D2x , 2 - D200 bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor, they're fantastic ! Shocked
They really show the Nikkor 105 qualities... and those of the pro photographer you surely are !

You make me want to try my canon 500D close up lens on my 105 PC Nikkor.
I never thought of using it on MF lenses and kept it for Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS USM and Tamron SP 28-75 F2.8.

What uploading process do you use for posting your pictures ?
They render so clear and have such presence !
Congrats.
Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Oliver, the lens is awesome, I love all four versions, but AIS is of course just outstanding...
The 500D is a very handy lens, I almost always carry it in my bag for occasional macro/close up job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
What uploading process do you use for posting your pictures ?
They render so clear and have such presence !
Congrats.
Smile

Oliver, I use local storage/uploading, here on MF Lenses forum. Thru "upload picture" button ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor wrote:

Oliver, I use local storage/uploading, here on MF Lenses forum. Thru "upload picture" button ...

Thank you Igor.

I meant what work and processing before uploading.
Scan, treatments such as adding contrast, exposition, clarity, sharpness for screen ? And with which particular software (such as lightroom or photoshop).
Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, sorry, I didn't understand.
well, my workflow is quite simple: shoot RAW, process in Lightroom 3, then final processing in PS CS5.
no special filters, just regular levels, shadows/highlights, vibrance boost, sharpening and slight smoothing OOF detail after sharpening.
if you have any specific questions, I'll gladly answer/ share what I know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor wrote:
ah, sorry, I didn't understand.
well, my workflow is quite simple: shoot RAW, process in Lightroom 3, then final processing in PS CS5.
no special filters, just regular levels, shadows/highlights, vibrance boost, sharpening and slight smoothing OOF detail after sharpening.
if you have any specific questions, I'll gladly answer/ share what I know.

Thanks Igor.
I didn't think of smoothing OOF. I understand it can make an important difference in the final result.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use the Portraiture plugin for smoothing and use it very carefully to preserve the original bokeh of the lens, Actually I use it to slightly smooth the sharpening artifacts/noise if needed.