Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any Issues in using M42 adapter and M42 lenses on Nikon D300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Thanks Lena, that's pretty much what I thought, and thanks for clarifying the exposure options.
I am interested to know just how much focusing distance will be lost with a no-glass adapter. I am assuming it will be toward the longer end of the focusing scale towards infinity (ala Buzz Lightyear). I am hoping to use these longer lenses for subjects up to around 10 metres.
Thanks again
OH

Just did a rough and ready test with a couple of m42 lenses and an old Nikon DSLR. I held the lens against the camera which simulates an adapter of zero thickness and set the focus on the lens to infinity. Obviously results with a real (even very thin) adapter will be even worse.
Maximum focus distance for my Pentacon 135mm was around 6m, but my favourite M42 lens, the Flektogon 35mm f2.4 was only about 20cm.
Verdict - longer lenses may still work as portrait lenses, shorter lenses are closeup only - on the plus side at minimum focus the Flektogon becomes a 1:1.5 near macro

Ouch!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bar?

What about Coomba Bay?

Anyways, I can share my experiences now that my adapter has arrived.

I have a D3200 and I'm still learning photography and just starting to get tack sharp images with my new Nikon 35mm prime.

Having said that I bought the glass-less adapter because I was mostly interested in converting my Minolta MC 1.4 50mm into a macro. I have just tested it out and it's weird. Maximum focus distance is about 25cm. Minimum is about 5cm.

DOF is very narrow and I can't get focus with aperture wide open. I suspect it's because DOF is too narrow. At F8 I can get it close to focus but I'm still not getting tack sharp. Maybe it's the beginner in the photographer.

I also have an MD 1.4 50mm. That one doesn't seem to be as good as the MC, but having said that, both lenses are not on pristine condition. The MD has mild fungus (I think) and the MC has mild haze and or coating wear as well as a tiny bit of dead fungus. Maybe the lenses are no good.

I'm noticing amazing bokeh.

If I can produce some decent in focus shots I will share. I stumbled onto this forum after buying the MC for $10 at a garage sale and doing research on what I had just bought. Been hooked ever since and love the colour and image quality that these old lenses pump out.

I'll try not to post crap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Old Bar?

What about Coomba Bay?

Anyways, I can share my experiences now that my adapter has arrived.

I have a D3200 and I'm still learning photography and just starting to get tack sharp images with my new Nikon 35mm prime.

Having said that I bought the glass-less adapter because I was mostly interested in converting my Minolta MC 1.4 50mm into a macro. I have just tested it out and it's weird. Maximum focus distance is about 25cm. Minimum is about 5cm.

DOF is very narrow and I can't get focus with aperture wide open. I suspect it's because DOF is too narrow. At F8 I can get it close to focus but I'm still not getting tack sharp. Maybe it's the beginner in the photographer.

I also have an MD 1.4 50mm. That one doesn't seem to be as good as the MC, but having said that, both lenses are not on pristine condition. The MD has mild fungus (I think) and the MC has mild haze and or coating wear as well as a tiny bit of dead fungus. Maybe the lenses are no good.

I'm noticing amazing bokeh.

If I can produce some decent in focus shots I will share. I stumbled onto this forum after buying the MC for $10 at a garage sale and doing research on what I had just bought. Been hooked ever since and love the colour and image quality that these old lenses pump out.

I'll try not to post crap.

An interesting experience that seems to bear out the loss of focusing distance.
I am looking forward to seeing some images when you do them.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

An interesting experience that seems to bear out the loss of focusing distance.
I am looking forward to seeing some images when you do them.
Thanks for sharing
OH

I will try to post something tomorrow. I just took a shoot of my plastic Gilette razor at F8 and it came out good. I will try to repeat with some macro shots outdoors.

The adapter works like a lens extender. Same effect is created and that's why I bought the glass-less adapter. Another reason is you lose image quality with the adapter that has glass element from what I have read.

On a side note, did any of you go to Forster High around 25 yrs ago?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here it is.

Looks very nice I must say.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby at all - well done.
As for attending Forster High - well, I finished high school nearly fifty years ago - so ..........

And yes Bernhardas, I too have some difficulty finding accurate focus with MF lenses on the D300. Worth it when it happens though.

Thank you both for your input
Regards
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very centre of the Plumeria is in focus. Everything else is out. It's funny how some of the image is totally blurred but other parts aren't. I suspect that's something to do with the focal plane.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Not too shabby at all - well done.
As for attending Forster High - well, I finished high school nearly fifty years ago - so ..........

And yes Bernhardas, I too have some difficulty finding accurate focus with MF lenses on the D300. Worth it when it happens though.

Thank you both for your input
Regards
OH

My brand new Nikkor 35mm prime can't shoot that flower. The lens can't handle the purple for some strange reason. It turns out pretty sharp with the Minolta.

Sometimes focussing with this lens is easy, other times it is difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

The very centre of the Plumeria is in focus. Everything else is out. It's funny how some of the image is totally blurred but other parts aren't. I suspect that's something to do with the focal plane.

Yes, the DOF is very shallow here, but your subject has three intersecting planes of interest - the middle of the flower and both pieces of timber in the background. The flat plane of focus for this shot passes through all three at the points where it is sharp, and everything in front and behind this plane is soft.

Looks promising
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not in focus 100% but you get a good idea of what it can do. That's a twig where I tried to focus onto the bend. Hand held in low light so that's why I didn't get it sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention you can only use your Nikon in manual exposure mode, well heres how you can use it in auto.

I have put a 'dandelion chip' on one of my M42 adapters. This chip allows the camera to 'see' the lens electronically.

You can program the chip but if its on an adapter used with other lenses, just leave it at default. The exif data on a programmed chip shows the aperture used.

But importantly the chip allows the camera to work in aperture priority mode so not always manual.

My chipped lenses work on my F50 and my digtal cameras, and indeed any Nikon with electronic coupling.

Naturally you must still manual focus. I think I may put a tutorial up on the dandelion. Watch this space.

I buy mine from here on ebay, delivery from Singapore to UK is less than a week. They cost $29.98 (£19.64) post paid, at the time of writing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EURO-AF-Confirm-Metering-Emulator-Chip-for-Nikon-DSLR-D5100-D90-on-Lens-AIS-AI-/261016754195?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3cc5cf9813

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
So, just to be clear in my own mind, the setup for using M42 lenses with a Nikon lens-less adapter will be thus:
The lens will lose the ability to focus at infinity but most other distances will be OK, with a small shift in the closest focusing distance.
Exposure will be manual? Or will the Nikon D300 respond in A (aperture priority mode)?
Manual focusing of course - will the focus seen through the viewfinder be true, or will adjustments need to be made?
Have I got any of this wrong or have I missed anything?
Thanks for your help in advance
OH

I am still beginner so my opinion in here might get somebody's laugh.
I have to say sorry before that.
If you look for M42 lens element to fit Nikon then Russian lens Tair 11A 135/2.8 can be replace by KP-A N
It look little expensive and it is of course if you like Tair taste.
The KP-A N can be exchange to mount itself so it can reach infinity.
I am wondering your gold is to use M42 era element to present DSLR?
If so then it might be kind of solution.
It is easy to back M42 too if you have mount.
Thank you very much.
Kokuuji.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Philslizzy and Kokuuji.
I will consider your suggestions seriously.
Very much appreciated.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokuuji wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
So, just to be clear in my own mind, the setup for using M42 lenses with a Nikon lens-less adapter will be thus:
The lens will lose the ability to focus at infinity but most other distances will be OK, with a small shift in the closest focusing distance.
Exposure will be manual? Or will the Nikon D300 respond in A (aperture priority mode)?
Manual focusing of course - will the focus seen through the viewfinder be true, or will adjustments need to be made?
Have I got any of this wrong or have I missed anything?
Thanks for your help in advance
OH

I am still beginner so my opinion in here might get somebody's laugh.
I have to say sorry before that.
If you look for M42 lens element to fit Nikon then Russian lens Tair 11A 135/2.8 can be replace by KP-A N
It look little expensive and it is of course if you like Tair taste.
The KP-A N can be exchange to mount itself so it can reach infinity.
I am wondering your gold is to use M42 era element to present DSLR?
If so then it might be kind of solution.
It is easy to back M42 too if you have mount.
Thank you very much.
Kokuuji.

Not a good translation but it appears the Tair 11a has a t mount style fitting (the KP-A N) and ought to work. My Jupiter 11A has one and I have put a Nikon T-mount on it.