Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any inexpensive lenses that give Panavision UltraSpeed look?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William35 wrote:
Can anyone think of other lenses of different focal lengths that are similar to the Jupiter 3/Zeiss Sonnar f1.5 and might pair well with it? Thank you for that suggestion visualopins.

sure.. the Jupiter 9 (2/85) M39 version

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flare in motion pictures is like bokeh in stills shooting - vastly over-used in the modern age. Just look at the last Star Trek movie, it was ruined by the constant use of over-the-top flares. It all began with Babylon 5 - Newtek put a lens flare rendering feature into Lightwave and the creators of Babylon 5 put it to good use. But that was the stone age in terms of CGI and 20 years later there are so many other rendering tools available.

Sure, lens flare and bokeh have their place, a classic example being the trippy graveyard sequence in Easy Rider. But imagine if they'd shot the whole movie that way, it would be unwatchably cheesy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject.

I think I'll try my radio active Canon FD 35/2 with some 85B filtered CineStill 800T and experiment with ratings.

Thanks

Texsport