Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any experience/opinions on 35mm f2 Super-takumar...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Any experience/opinions on 35mm f2 Super-takumar... Reply with quote

I have a decent deal lined up for potentially getting a 35mm f2 Super-takumar for $80 dollars....I am not very familiar with this lens and was wondering if anyone with experience can shed any light on the quality of the lens and whether that's a good deal for it, considering it looks to be in good shape. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it looks like a good deal: fast-ish 35s are really sought after and tend to fetch high prices.
For the lens, there are at least two versions: one, older, with 67mm filter ring, and a smaller one (49mm iirc).
I have the older, bigger version and I really like it: sharpness is good (ranging from "more than acceptable" wide open to very sharp stopped down) and consistent across the frame; I love the subtle color rendition of super-takumars, and this one is not an exception. Then it's big, heavy, and tends to flare. And someone doesn't like the five bladed aperture - honestly, I couldn't care less about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience/opinions on 35mm f2 Super-takumar... Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I have a decent deal lined up for potentially getting a 35mm f2 Super-takumar for $80 dollars....I am not very familiar with this lens and was wondering if anyone with experience can shed any light on the quality of the lens and whether that's a good deal for it, considering it looks to be in good shape. Thanks

Well, 80 $ sound's reasonable for this lens.
You may have a look on my test as to how it compares to some other 35mm lenses:
http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-different-35mm-lenses-on-aps-c-sensor-t71258,highlight,%2B35mm+%2Btest.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have v1 with 67mm filter. It is a good performer especially in dim light. For $80, you can't go wrong with either version.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar 2/35 overall is a very good performer coming in a very well built and handling body! 80 usd is a very good deal and, unless wide open sharpness is your first priority for which there should be one or the other lens that beats it, a definite buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the new version and I can tell you that is is sharp wide open.
[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome. That Jupiter-12 really shined in that test. I always heard how sharp it is but never seen it for myself. It's a shame cause I have a mint one I can't use :/.

I really dont care about ultimate sharpness if I'm shooting open, and I'm mostly thinking of using it for low light video for my friends concerts and such, where sharpness isn't as essential. And the 35mm fl I think would work well indoors on my crop sensor. I'm not sure which version it is, but here is the lens in question. I think I'm gonna buy it, assuming the person gets back to me cause I contacted them yesterday and they said it was still for sale. I hope I can still snatch it up.

I'll let you guys know if it pans out and post some samples.

And lovely shot there at the end, that looks plenty sharp to me. My 70D is usually pretty good at getting results at open apertures, I think I got myself a champ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the Super Multi Coated Takumar ( usually abbreviated as S-M-C ) which is a later and generally, for it's 'better' multi coating, considered to be slightly better than the Super Takumar. I had paid considerably more for mine already some years ago when 150 usd was considered a good price, not sure how much it is trading for nowadays. I also find it plenty sharp wide open but I also remember having read reports of others which say that this isn't it's big point. I hope you can get it and will enjoy it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
this is the Super Multi Coated Takumar ( usually abbreviated as S-M-C ) which is a later and generally, for it's 'better' multi coating, considered to be slightly better than the Super Takumar. I had paid considerably more for mine already some years ago when 150 usd was considered a good price, not sure how much it is trading for nowadays. I also find it plenty sharp wide open but I also remember having read reports of others which say that this isn't it's big point. I hope you can get it and will enjoy it

Thanks I hope so too. it looks to be in good shape. Mostly still runs $150 but mostly rougher copies, nicer ones up to 200. We'll see how it goes.