Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ANR glass inserts for Epson scanners - anybody interested?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: ANR glass inserts for Epson scanners - anybody interested? Reply with quote

Guys,

I thought that some of you might be interested.

I do a lot of scanning with various scanners, but I found Epson ones as most versatile and giving very decent results. I considered getting betterscanning holder and ANR glass, but I figured it out that Epson holders are just fine, the only issue is film flatness.

So, I end up using Epson holders with custom-made ANR glass inserts that makes the film perfectly flat. And since I have an access to them at reasonable prices (much lower than at betterscanning.com), I thought that you might be interested in getting one. For that moment I do have or can have almost instantly ANR inserts:

35mm - for Epsons: 1680, 3200, 4490, 4870, 4990, V500, V600, V700, V750
120 - for Epsons: V500, V600, V700, V750

One insert covers one slot in Epson's holder.

Prices, regardless the size (35mm or 130) are:

15,95 Euro for 1 ANR glass insert,
29,95 Euro for 2 ANR glass inserts,
44,95 Euro for 3 ANR glass inserts,
59,95 Euro for 4 ANR glass inserts,
13,95 Euro for each ANR insert if you purchase 5 of them or more.

Above-mentioned prices cover shipping cost (in Europe), & PayPal fees, you do not have to worry about anything else or add any further costs.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, but can you post some examples so that we can see what we're buying? Thanks! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here're examples:

Heavy curled Provia 100F (35mm, 4000dpi) - full frame on the left, crop with ANR insert on the top right corner, crop without ANR insert on the bottom right corner, no sharpening:

Lightly curled HP5+ (35mm, 4800dpi) - full frame on the bottom, upper left - with ANR insert, upper right - without ANR insert, no sharpening:

Brochure with pictures of ANR glass insert as well as instruction how to use it is being prepared at the moment, but it looks and works exactly is the same as betterscanning one.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested, especially if I manage to sell my Plustek. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4490 35mm holder has two channels - how does the glass go on it, is there one piece that covers both, or do we need two pieces of glass?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The 4490 35mm holder has two channels - how does the glass go on it, is there one piece that covers both, or do we need two pieces of glass?

One "slot" or channel - one insert. I use 4x 35mm inserts or 2x 120 inserts with my V750.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! I'll take 2 35mm holders for a v500. How soon can you ship?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Brilliant! I'll take 2 35mm holders for a v500. How soon can you ship?

Even tommorow, if I receive the payment. Unfortunately, I do not have your adress anymore, so send me PM, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great - do they slip under the plastic noses in the holder? Or are they simply heavy enough to press down curled film under their own weight?

I would like to get a 35mm for Epson V500 please!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

can you post a pic of how the glass mounts to the negative holder pelase.
what are the options for v500 ?

1x 120 and 2 x35?

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Sounds great - do they slip under the plastic noses in the holder? Or are they simply heavy enough to press down curled film under their own weight?

I would like to get a 35mm for Epson V500 please!

They are heavy enough to deal with curled film. They also can be mounted with a duct tape if necessary (heavily curled film).

Here: http://skanowanie.org/scanassist/03_ScanAssist_instrukcja_obslugi.pdf an instruction manual with pictures in Polish. Translation is as follows:

1. Remove standard Epson frame holding the film in the holder (see pic. 1). Put it in a safe place, it won't be necessary during scanning.
2. Curled film (see pic. 2) place in the holder in the way that ANR glass insert keeps it as flat as possible (arched side of the film should be faced up and „Flip” function in Photoshop should be used after scanning).
3. Remember, only the matte side of ANR glass insert should be in contact with curled film. Using glossy side causes Newton rings to appear.
4. Scan the frames you want to, but remember that the entire frame should be covered with ANR glass insert (see pic. 4). Remember to turn DigitalICE off when scanning traditional B&W negatives.
5. Clean ANR glass insert with micro fibre cloth when necessary.
6. Store in safe place after scanning.

If somebody is interested, please PM me with precise shipping addres and information about type & quantity of ANR inserts to be shipped. I'll answer with precise amount and my PayPal account.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Hi,

can you post a pic of how the glass mounts to the negative holder pelase.
what are the options for v500 ?

1x 120 and 2 x35?

BR,
Stefan

Please see above-mentioned instruction manual for 35mm version. 120 mounts and works exactly the same.

Yes, 2x35mm and 1x120 is a full set for V500.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost gave up on Tri-X film as it curls like ****! Hopefully I can carry on using it now.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent payment for a used V500 this morning and definitely can make use of this. Too bad I am across the ocean.

All the best.

KbZ

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought two also for my Epson 4490 - 35mm and 120mm. Unfortunately for me, the 120 film holder needs to be cut shorter by ~1cm so I am taking a chance by cutting it myself.

Actually making a cardboard mask may work as well:
http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/mscutmask.html

Thanks,
Simon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think Epson would supply a few pieces of glass with their expensive scanners, so many complaints about getting a neg flat yet they don't care, or their engineers can't solve the problem....or there is no problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inserts have been shipped to everyone who made payment.

Excalibur: they are needed when your film is curled - Epson holders can't deal with that, when film is flat - ANR insert is not necessary.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Excalibur: they are needed when your film is curled - Epson holders can't deal with that, when film is flat - ANR insert is not necessary.***

Well it just make you think that Epson live in their own world of perfect negs, and to think that no engineer in the design team thought of producing a curled neg to be scanned and tested eh....otherwise they would supply glass inserts for tricky negs.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
Inserts have been shipped to everyone who made payment.

Excalibur: they are needed when your film is curled - Epson holders can't deal with that, when film is flat - ANR insert is not necessary.

Cheers for that!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Well it just make you think that Epson live in their own world of perfect negs, and to think that no engineer in the design team thought of producing a curled neg to be scanned and tested eh....otherwise they would supply glass inserts for tricky negs.

AFAIK they do - wet mounting station is a glass holder sold separately for V700 and V750 scanners. It not only deals with curled films, but also enchances scans quality. But it is pricey.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

AFAIK they do - wet mounting station is a glass holder sold separately for V700 and V750 scanners. It not only deals with curled films, but also enchances scans quality. But it is pricey.

Well I couldn't be bothered using Fluid Mount, your glass inserts seems a more convenient way, but there wouldn't be a problem if the scanning lens could auto focus in the dips in the neg, maybe it's too complicated to make.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

I received my glass inserts from axer today. Great packaging and product. Everything as he described it. Very helpful guy to deal with too. Thanks. Will report back on the results (OEM cover vs new gals inserts) later using my Epson 4490.

Dziękuję moim przyjacielem

Thanks,
Simon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived and well packaged - Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be ordering more ANR glass inserts shortly. Somebody interested?