Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Tulip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Another Tulip Reply with quote

Sony NEX5T + Minolta MC MACRO ROKKOR-X 3.5/50 @f8

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is very good. Your photos likewise.
The 100mm macro Rokkor is even better....
I have both lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
This lens is very good. Your photos likewise.
The 100mm macro Rokkor is even better....
I have both lenses. Wink

I have a few macro lenses including a Konica Hexanon 55mm, a Vivitar 135mm CF and a Vivitar 90-180mm but not the 100mm Rokkor. I find a 50mm macro a bit short even on my NEX and the Vivitar 90-180mm is a monster and too heavy for handheld shots. I have fallen in love with Hexanons and Rokkors and will keep an eye out for a 100mm macro from these brands.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar, a relatively low-priced alternative would be the use of this makro converter (photo borrowed from the internet):

The quality is more than good and it gives you flexibility to use any other good lens you may like. You can also add it to your existing 50mm makro lens.

Here is a sample photo from my old analog times when I didn't have a 100mm makro lens taken with this converter (it is a scanned fujifilm dia):

It's not too bad I would say....

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, excellent work Edgar - and I'm not talking about that lens, I don't care, but the result!!
Nicely composed, excellently lit (what did you use btw. - flash I guess, with some softener from the left and reflector from the right at 45 deg)!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Again, excellent work Edgar - and I'm not talking about that lens, I don't care, but the result!!
Nicely composed, excellently lit (what did you use btw. - flash I guess, with some softener from the left and reflector from the right at 45 deg)!

No flash Klaus. Overcast diffused lighting through a north facing window and white reflector opposite. Background was black background paper.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Edgar, a relatively low-priced alternative would be the use of this makro converter:

Thomas, I have one of those but have never used it. It came with another lens I bought and I had forgotten about it. I've just found it and it has a Minolta MD mount so I'll try it out soon and post some shots. Thanks for reminding me! Wink Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, taken with same setup as above but with the inclusion of the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar,
As I expected. Brilliant quality.
I have somewhere an old test report from a famous German magazine called "Color Foto" from the early 80's of last century and they stated and proofed that this Vivitar tele/macro converter is state of the art. And they compared it to other possiblilities for macro photography including special high grade macro lenses and there was no visible difference in quality. That is why I bought it already at that time. It is a little gem. Sometimes I also use it also in connection with my 100mm macro lens. It add's maximum flexibility without loss of quality at a very reasonable price. I will never sell mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a big fan of the 7-element Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter since the first one I bought new back in the '80s. I have one in both Canon FD and Nikon F mounts. A while back I did some extensive tests on this TC, comparing the results to images taken without it. And what I found was actually an improvement in resolution. Hard to argue with those kinds of results.

Plus, the fact that it has a focusing helical makes it really handy when the lens's closest focus is a bit too far away. Just give the TC's helical a fraction of a turn and there you are.