Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another quartz soft focus lens for my GH1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Another quartz soft focus lens for my GH1 Reply with quote

Built another lens for my GH1, 46mm focal length using a quartz singlet, old enlarger lens barrel and focusing helicoid. Some test shots:

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results! Are you going to use this set-up more often? I'd love to see it being used on flowers... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have three different variants now Peter:
1) a f1.0/25mm
2) same with added Piazzi Smith field flattener lens
3) a f2/46mm lens (this one; no field flattener needed)

Pictures incl. flowers for #1 may already be seen here and I expect results using #3 to be similar (just longer focal length and more DOF):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157625383642982/

and examples would be:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! I thought such lenses would be unusable for architecture, but the pictures behind the flickr link proved otherwise. I definitely like for instance the "gate" in Lorraine, France (and hopefully I can post it here):

As long as you keep the subject in the center of the frame, the results can be VERY nice. Instant framing!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was actually the idea behind that, to use the "blurry" off-center part to concentrate on the image center. Seen in some films and wanted to replicate that. It is already visible in the viewfinder, so can be set to taste. Works very well for (round, oval) flowers of course...

The high speed also allows such shots:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very,very nice AND interesting

If I may ask a 'trade secret', what was your source for the quartz lens? I have followed both here and on your website the UV photography, but I cannot afford an actual manufactured quartz lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Optics sells quartz lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Edmund Optics sells quartz lenses.

Thanks, I believe I found what I want. Part #'s NT 48-274 or 275. I was hoping for a meniscus version, but I can't seem to locate any Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interesting project and I give extra points for the DIY approach!

The effect is very story-telling imho. I see this effect mimicked in video productions; transitions/middle screens, dream metaphoras and chase scenes (from a person's memory recall). Great to see it can be done the DIY way (well, most cinematic stuff often is DIY gear Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I started wanting to create that "I just awoke and remember that dream" effect.