Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux Type U, X, Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Angenieux Type U, X, Z Reply with quote

I am aware that some of you, forum members, are real experts in rare lenses. I was searching for information about types of Angenieux lenses and foudn nothing consistent.

Could you please explain, do "Types" indicated on the lens barrels correspond to optical schemes? Are Type U are triplets, Type Z are tessars and X are double Gauss, or this has nothing to do with the optical schemes? And if number after the letter means just a slight improvement of the same optical design, like Z2 and Z5 or U2 and U5?

What gave me such an idea is the fact that enlarger lenses are U and Z, while you also find variations of them in rangefinder modifications. For example, Z2 2.9/50 is a rare kind of enlarger lens, while you find Z2 and Z5 with the same parameters (2.9/50) for Alpa and some obsolete post-war cameras.

Your hints and info will be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, for 35mm and cine lens in the 50s to 60s:

P/Y Ernostar or Ernostar like
S Double Gauss
R Retrofocus
U (No Idea but possibly Triplet or Tessar as they are slow F4.5 lenses. Most are used as enlarger?)
X Tessar
Z Triplet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Calvin, thank you for your instant reply!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the second question, I don't have an exact answer. The only thing I know is Y12 replace Y1. I expect Z5 may replace Z2 but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Wow, Calvin, thank you for your instant reply!

You are welcomed. Are you going to buy any Angenieux lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an enlarger Angenieux Type Z2 2.9/50 which is a tiny and quite interesting lens with a great image plasticity.

It behaves quite like a triplet, with softer edges w/o. But I could not imagine before triplet design used on enlargers. So, Calvin, your table of types gives a very good clarification. I will post some shots from the lens later.

I also have a projection 3.5/100 Angenieux from the 1950s which must be a multicoated (seen the reflections). If it is a triplet, I had a slight doubt, seen how many reflexions it gives under the bulb ligt.

But with the maximum aperture of f3.5 what else could that be? It does not have any "Type" indicated on the barrel, which is typical for projection lenses.

So, I am curious about the different lens designs to understand which significant variations in image properties there are if one chases for, say, "Type X" still more affordable than fine zooms or Type S.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than one version of Kodak Angenieux 3.5/100. I don't have any experience with them.

BTW, Multi-coating is not applied to commercial lenses until 1970s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right for multi-coating. I did not express well the idea. I wished to say that several (all) lenses are treated in this Angenieux 3.5/100. It has a certificate of purchase that dates of 1964.